I am not a mechanic which will be obvious by my questions. I just started riding my new (well, new to me) 97 Vulcan 750 and this past Sunday, I noticed that it was overheating according to the gauge. The tach never worked and I thought the temp gauge was not functional either. For the two days previous, the fan would run for a few seconds after I quit riding and shutoff pretty quickly after I shut the bike down. On Sunday, I noticed the fan no longer would run. Anytime I would start up the bike it would overheat fairly quickly but the fan never ran again. The previous owner said that the guage was messed up and the bike shop he took it to said it was not overheated and the gauge was wrong.
Anyway, upon advice from a friend, I got a jumper wire and connected it to the disconnected connector from the cooling fan thermo switch to see if the fan would run if I bypassed the switch. It did. Now my friend wants me to test to see if the radiator is grounded by using an ohmmeter by using the lead to the nut that attaches the switch to the radiator and the other lead to a grounded area. He said if the meter showing connection that it is grounded.
Anyone have ideas if it could be something else?