Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
85 VN 700

Painted exhaust???

Long story short - my exhaust pipes have seen better days - they are in reasonably good physical condition - but have some surface rust.

I kinda like the look of the blacked out pipes on the meanstreak http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=210

What would it take to do the same with stock pipes? I do ride in the rain - so durability would be paramount, and would wanna do it cheap and quick.

Mostly just dreaming... but would like knowing how feasible of a project this would be. Not sure what dechroming would take - or if high temp paint would do the trick??

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 12:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to davros
It shouldn't be that hard to do. I painted some of the rust spots on my exhaust with por-20 high temp paint in silver. they also make a high temp BLACK VELVET paint. I don't see why you would need to remove all the chrome just sand and paint.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
85 VN 700

Davros,
How long ago (time and miles) did you do the touchup and how's it held up? Did ya sand the rust spots down to bare metal, not at all, or just to where ya couldn't see rust any more?

Do ya ride in the rain? (not sure if the thermal shock of the rain hitting the pipes would affect the paint - but I'd imagine it would.

Thanks for the tip

Curtis - Albany Oregon.

Ammo Can Saddlebags

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 05:35 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

I had emailed a Yahoo member (Jason) awhile ago about his exhaust paint job (black)
This is what he replied with .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason from Yahoo
I used DupliColor Hi-Temp Header Paint. After painting, you're suppose to bake it at 300 degrees for 15 minutes (or something like that) but I don't have an oven I can use for that purpose. Tech support said to just ride it around the block a couple times and it should be fine. The first time I painted it, I sat it in the driveway and let it idle but it blistered the paint near the headers. Second time, I let the bike idle a couple minutes and then shut it off. I did that a few times and seemed fine.

The paint has flaked off in a couple places and I'm not pleased. The flaking spot looks like it didn't stick to the pipes well (not blistered and not spreading) so I think it was either not clean enough or scuffed well enough in that spot before painting. I don't feel like painting it a third time so I'm seriously looking at using header wrap up to the mufflers.

VHT makes a header paint which has good reviews. Their instructions also state it needs to be baked to cure the paint.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 09:07 AM

The deal with coatings of any kind is that you need to get a good "anchor profile". That is kind of roughing up the surface so the paint has something to adhere to. I work in the PetroChemical industry and we use coatings for several different applications (high temp, high press, corrosion resistance, etc.). I'm not a coatings expert, but the anchor profile is one of the basics. Also, you will want to follow the manufacturer's directions for application, and if that includes baking it to cure the coating, then that's an important step in making sure that the coating cures correctly.

The flaking and blistering are symptoms of a coating system that was not properly installed. If you want to do the coating on the cheap, it probably won't hold up for long. Have you looked into using the header wrap, I've seen it on a couple of bikes and it looked good. I don't think that you have the same type of application issues with the wrap either.

Just my .02, hope it helps.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
85 VN 700

Anyone that's had the pipes off know how long/ wide the biggest part is?

I have a pretty big gas bbq I've been working on fixing up (rusty mess left in front of garbage can) that might be big enough....

For getting an "anchor profile" would that involve getting the chrome off to the metal, or just "skuffing it up" real good (I.E. 60 grit followed by 150 or so). Or would sandblasting or the like be nescessary? I have a compressor and could keep an eye out for a cheap sandblasting rig...

Not sure about the header wrap... I've read bad things about the same (keeping heat in for too long and causing premature death of exhaust) and since I ride in the rain I can't imagine I'd be able to keep it looking anywhere near presentable...

Curtis - Albany Oregon.

Ammo Can Saddlebags

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 12:14 PM

Dude

I have a stock exaust if u want it probably in way better shape than yours from the sound of it. dont know how much to ship 2 u but i will check.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 12:34 PM

The anchor profile required would depend on the coating. The manufacturer should have a recomended surface prep in the application instructions which could range from scuffing the chrome to sand blasting to white metal...it depends on the type of coating. I've never dealt with the coatings on an exhaust system, so I'm not sure how much prep would be required.

My in-laws' neighbor is a coatings guy, next time I see him I'll see if he has any ideas about painting pipes.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 01:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to davros
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis97322 View Post
Davros,
How long ago (time and miles) did you do the touchup and how's it held up? Did ya sand the rust spots down to bare metal, not at all, or just to where ya couldn't see rust any more?

Do ya ride in the rain? (not sure if the thermal shock of the rain hitting the pipes would affect the paint - but I'd imagine it would.

Thanks for the tip
I did the touchup last spring when I first got the bike (about 5000 mi). I sanded the rust spots down to the point where I could no longer see any rust. I tried not remove any of the good chrome, just roughed it up. I then cleaned and degreased the areas and wore latex gloves during the process. The rust was mainly on the back and bottom of the front pipe.

I try not to ride in the rain but it has happened a couple of times. It does not seem to have affected the paint.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
85 VN 700

Lurch,

Check your PM's...

It probably IS in better shape than the current exhaust.

Bike sat in a garage on the coast for most of it's life - it's had 3 owners b4 me - original owner I know nothing about, but from the sounds of it he had some issues with the bike after putting most of the miles on it (85 700 with 12k miles).

Second owner did a lot of work on the bike (mostly carbs from what I was told...) lived on the coast and let the bike sit in his garage - had it for quite a few years but never got his mcy endorsement.

Third owner bought it last summer - put very few miles on it.

I've put around 1000 miles on the bike in the last month. Been trying to deal with some surface rust (everything chrome has rust - ranging from minor to severe) The exhaust could probably be made to look ok, but would require LOTS of time with steel wool and I'd always be fighting surface rust coming back. One of these days I'll pull off the "Fork lower clamp" (what the kaw manual calls it) and rustoleum black it. It's the worst looking piece of the bike.

My zip is in my username (97322). Let me know what shipping would cost and what you'd want for the stock exhaust (mine's stock too). At the very least, that'd allow me to try blacking out the exhaust and if it didn't work nothing would be lost (and I'd be able to do prep RIGHT since I wouldn't have to worry about being able to ride the bike NOW). I figure if ya ship the stock exhaust to me, I'll put it on for now and try monkying around with the rusted one I have - if it turns out in a way I like, I can pass the stock exhaust down to another member ;-)

Curtis - Albany Oregon.

Ammo Can Saddlebags

Last edited by curtis97322; 03-27-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement