Trouble after ACCT to MCCT conversion - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Trouble after ACCT to MCCT conversion

Hey all, this past weekend I had some spare time so I decided to tackle the ACCT to MCCT conversion pre-emptively. After I put the housings back on my bike and began to tighten them up I pulled the threads out of both housings. I just ran back to the hardware store and re-tapped them with a 7mm tap. When I returned from the hardware store I noticed that I left my key in the "on" position......yeah, it was that kind of day, after many attempts to jump the bike, I realized I may have flooded the carbs.... Oh well, I charged up the battery and got her running again. My trouble is that when I was on my way home from work tonight, the bike died twice. The first time when I was exiting the freeway, and the second time when I was on a back road. My bike does suffer from POOGS, but it didn't feel like that. It was almost like the throttle was being restricted right before it died, and the exhaust sounded bogged down. Is it possible that I don't have my cam chain tight enough, or too tight? Any thoughts would be welcomed. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Prowling Tiger

The plungers on the MCCT's should only put enough pressure on the cam chain guides to quiet the cam chains. Any further than that and the engine begins to bog down.

What I would do is back both MCCT's out and screw them back in to the point you feel a bit of resistance. Turn the bike on and continue to tighten until the cam chain noise is gone without the engine RPM's dropping, then tighten the locking nut.

If the ACCT housings are failing, it's because they are aluminum. If you get the money, buy TOC's MCCT's. They'll run ya $100 per pair, but they are high quality.

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 07:53 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
I second the TOC MCCTs, and the fact you may have over-tightened.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

I didnt get the TOC' mccts for mine, but I converted the autos to manual. what I did was to put an additional nut (6mm) on the inside of the housing, all the way against the end of it, and epoxied them into place.. this way, the threads of the housing dont take all the stress, but it is instead transferred to the nuts I installed inside the housing. the nuts then transfer the stress to the thicker parts of the housing (not the thin, wimpy threads that the original cap threaded into)
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies, I did back them out a bit, hopefully that helps. The only thing to figure out now is why the idle came down from 1100rpms to 1000....good call on the 6mm nut on the inside michiganteddybear, I wish I would have thought about that before I ripped those threads out.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
what I did was to put an additional nut (6mm) on the inside of the housing, all the way against the end of it, and epoxied them into place.. this way, the threads of the housing dont take all the stress, but it is instead transferred to the nuts I installed inside the housing. the nuts then transfer the stress to the thicker parts of the housing
Yep....I posted that with diagrams about a year before ya joined... It works too....I also modified the washer/o ring setup on my design....no leaks at all....TOC can leak....mine dont because they cant....

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 12:26 AM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Yep....I posted that with diagrams about a year before ya joined... It works too....I also modified the washer/o ring setup on my design....no leaks at all....TOC can leak....mine dont because they cant....
I would think the TOC's would leak once the PVC tape wears out. Other than that, mine never leaked and I had them on for over a year.

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 01:03 AM

Ya, but plumbers tape ???....cheezy, IMO...at the price they charge, they should have designed a better seal like I did...I can fix theirs too...cleanly....hint...."nylon + neoprene"....

See, they fixed theirs with teflon tape....I threadded a nylon washer onto mine that rests against a neoprene, and a chrome rests between the nylon and a locknut.....threads are sealed by the nylon AND neoprene washer....looks clean and professional...and I kept the stock O ring, so its seals the body AND the threads.

Im making a set of my own MCCTs now...will be for sale soon....I put a wingnut on mine too, so when adjusting, you can "feel" it better with your fingers when tensioning....

Last edited by Wolfie; 07-25-2013 at 01:11 AM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

for the washers on mine, I was able to find a couple of steel washers, with rubber on one side (similar to what is used to secure steel roofing) where the rubber portion fits so tightly it has to be threaded onto the bolt initially. of course the nuts when tightened give it a good final squeeze. and I put a solid steel washer between the rubberized one and the nut to spread the load out so it didnt 'dish' the washer when I used the ole calibrated elbow for torquing.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:17 AM

Uh,.............. being fairly new to the site I figure that ACCT means automatic something while MCCT means manual something. Maybe there should be a post that defines all the acronyms Y'all use, what? Or is there already such a post?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement