Drained oil twice, lost prime twice - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Drained oil twice, lost prime twice

I changed the oil in my 2006 for the first time last week, used Rotella 15w-40 and pre-filled Purolator filter, cranked-up and oil light stayed on, killed engine after ~10 seconds, loosened filter, a little oil came out, re-tightened, cranked again, oil light still on, killed engine after ~5 seconds, loosened filter, cranked-up, tightened filter after oil gushed out after ~2 seconds, everything fine then.
Then I was underneath wiping off the oil when I noticed the dang o-ring hanging out of the side drain plug, CRAP!
I got a new o-ring a few days later, drained the oil COLD (I read in another thread that another owner had better luck not losing prime changing the oil cold), replaced the o-ring and oil, cranked-up, oil light stays on, kill engine after ~5 seconds, loosened filter, cranked-up, tightened filter after oil gushed out after ~2 seconds, everything fine again.
Has anyone figured out a sure-fire way not to lose prime? It can't be good on the engine as it does rattle quite a bit while the oil light is on.
I think next time I will leave filter loose, disable ignition system either by unplugging or removing fuse, and use starter to prime, any problem with that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 01:00 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Every time I've changed my oil/filter, I've just let it run until the light went out. If it took more than maybe a minute, then I'd shut it down, wait a little & try again later. I've never had to burp the filter to get the light to go out.
Only waiting a few seconds might not be long enough to get the oil through the system.
Not to make it sound like I'm recommending you do this, but that's what I've done.
See what some others say on this, then make a decision what you want to do.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 01:43 AM
Dan

This problem must be unique to particular engines. When I change oil in my 2005 and start the engine, the oil light goes out in less than one second. I guess I'm just lucky. Ask your Kawasaki mechanic what is going on. Also, I don't think anyone recommends changing cold oil.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 06:01 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I also have a 2006 changed oil twice. Light stays on maybe 7-8 seconds.I did not prefill the filter.I use Kaw oil and filter.Dont know if it will help but next time take it off the stand and move it around a little before you try to start it.I know that sounds silly but ya never know.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 09:26 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to tankist
yep, under 10 seconds is definetly not long enough. (from my experience with whooping 2 oil changes so far)

Ride Safe

Anton.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 01:21 PM

One thing you may try is to fill the filter with oil before you install it. I open the box place the filter back in it upside down and put it on a level surface. Then fill the filter with oil, once the oil comes to the top stop and let it soak into the filter media. You will see small bubbles come up tap box on the table and re add more oil untill full. Now I know what you will say when i put it on the oil comes out (if your fast it will be minimal) When i do an oil change this way the oil light never comes on.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

I did 'pre-fill' the filter, probably soaked ~15 minutes.

In the second scenario I never removed the filter so that sorta rules that out.

It seems that after draining the oil, which drains all oil from the oil pump intake tube, then re-filling oil pan with the filter already installed, the pump has some sort of air lock.

Maybe the trick would be to re-fill the oil pan before installing the oil filter which would allow the air to escape out the oil filter fitting, I'll try that next time.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
humm, i've never had this issue occur to me. or atleast not that i realized. I will pay attention on my next change. are ya'll preheating the engine?

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 05:11 AM
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
This problem must be unique to particular engines. When I change oil in my 2005 and start the engine, the oil light goes out in less than one second.
Same here on my '05. Changed oil three times and never had a problem.

Ron from Jersey
2005 VN750
HellFire windshield
Kaw extended backrest
Cobra exhaust
Re-located stator wires
Side bags
15,000 Miles July/2012
It's PAID OFF ! May 2009
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 11:59 AM

I feel your pain!

I have had deprime issues multiple times. First time after dropping it on it's side after dismounting, once on startup after an oil change, and three times WHILE riding. The first time I didn't know about burping and had to truck the bike home; read up on this forum and burped it - all good.

The next oil change after that caused oil deprime and I burped it twice before it acted normally. The next three mornings were really cold and it deprimed with in 200 yards of accelerating away from my house. First time, I pulled into the first parking lot and got out rags and a garbage bag (large saddle bags) and burped it there. Second and third times I just reved the heck out the engine and pressure came back. I was using Rotella 10w-40 all times. Switched to Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 and haven't had the problem since.

The first deprime is obvious - dropped the bike on the left side, got an air bubble in the pump pickup tube. Deprime after oil change - never happened before, but probably understandable - seems to happen to others too. The deprime on acceleration was really frustrating. I speculated that the oil was frothing in the pump and causing cavitation when cold. That is the only explanation I can believe. Switching to 5w seems to have fixed that.

Any thoughts?

Darrel
'03 Vulcan 750 (90k miles)
-Corbin Seat
-V-Force Windshield
-LeatherLyke Touring Bags
-Chrome Luggage Rack
-Headlight Modulator
-Brakelight Flasher
-MF Battery
-Heads-Up Voltage Monitor
-Replaced Stator (9,000 and 16,000 mi.)
-Oil-cooled Stator Mod (photos)
-Replaced and Relocated R/R
-Greased rear splines
-Fused Stator (photos)
-Metzeler ME880 Marathon 170/80-15 (Rear), 110/90-19 (Front)
-TOC MCCTs installed
-Headlight Relays
SOLD - 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement