ngk - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

ngk

does anybody else have no luck with ngk plugs?.... replaced them with champion plugs and the bike runs 100% better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 06:25 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
NGK Iridiums are the only way to go imo. I would never personally run Champion plugs.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

I wanna say I have NGK in mine (not irridiums tho), and it runs just dandy

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 06:35 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan2002 View Post
does anybody else have no luck with ngk plugs?.... replaced them with champion plugs and the bike runs 100% better!
When you pulled the NGK plugs what was the color and condition of them? Most times when I simple plug change makes a drastic difference there is an overseen gap problem or something else such as the burn temp. Did you have the proper NGK for this bike, etc, etc? I do not remember anyone else having complaints about those plugs. JMHO Good luck with the Champions.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 10:05 PM

I've used NGK with no troubles, for now my VN has the Denso plugs that came in it because they look like new and it's running great.

I used to run Champion in everything, except my bikes, with no troubles, but haven't stuck with them like I used to.

There's an NGK plant 40mi from me, they expanded in 2012, and a Champion plant 40mi in the other direction, unless I missed a change.

There's been a rumor on the web for years that all Champion plugs are made in Mexico, so I did some digging...

Quote:
Champion helped put Toledo, Ohio on the map in 1910, but moved those operations, and also the Detroit plant, to Burlington Iowa and Cambridge Ohio in 1991.

Albert Champion was born in 1878 and was a renowned motorcycle racer.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

I used to use champion plugs in everything for a long time.. then I had a car that just didnt run properly with them... it needed Motorcraft to run right. not blaming the champion plugs, just this one vehicle needed something different.

every engine is different. some love certain styles/materials of electrodes, some dont give a damn what you stick in them, (or even if they are all the way in LOL, seem my new noise thread).
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

this is the second time I have had trouble out of the ngk... and yes they were the right plug type for the bike as they were installed by the dealership, on the last tune up.... the bike would run poorly when idling and would flood when trying to start... I don't know why but the champion plugs were all that were available so I made the change... and it made all the difference in the world..
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 11:18 AM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
this is the second time I have had trouble out of the ngk... and yes they were the right plug type for the bike as they were installed by the dealership, on the last tune up.... the bike would run poorly when idling and would flood when trying to start... I don't know why but the champion plugs were all that were available so I made the change... and it made all the difference in the world..
It just sounds to me you bought champion iridium plugs when you were using old-style copper based ngks. If you notice we all suggest running the Iridium style NGK (or Denso). Iridiums spark easier and hotter so that it overcomes lower-voltage situations better. If copper plugs were giving you running issues, then your ignition coils may not be getting the full voltage. Possibly look into the ignition coil relay/power mod.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
dont bet on the dealer getting the right plugs installed... they do make mistakes..

Not saying they were not the right ones, but just because a dealer put them in, dont mean they where right without a shadow of a doubt.

they are humans, and they do make mistakes.. this difference between a good dealer and a bad one is the ability to find mistakes BEFORE it gets to customer, and if it does get to customer, ability to handle it correctly
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 06:33 PM

I took out the normal NGK's and replaced with irridium NGK's. Like a whole different bike....for the better. And as for dealers, my area dealer won't even LOOK at my bike. Told me it's too old (87) and gave me numbers to two different guys that work out of their homes in their spare tiime!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement