Oil leak after bike knocked over, or coasters? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Oil leak after bike knocked over, or coasters?

Hi All:

My bike is now at the Kawasaki dealer Yesterday I went to Dunkin Donuts for coffee, and while sitting there, a car backed out of a parking spot, knocked over my bike, then just drove off! Because FL has so many 'vanity' type plates, the plate wasn't easy to read (bad color combo), so I didn't get the tag number. It is possible that it was an older person, who when they heard the bike fall over looked in the rearview mirror, didn't see anything (bike is now on it's side on the ground), and just drove off, not knowing they did any harm. What really pissed me off was that there was a Sherifs deputy sitting inside eating donuts, and he never bothered to stop eating his donuts even tho a crime had just been committed in front of him (leaving the scene of an accident)! Oh well, anyway back to the bike, when I picked it up I noticed the engine had a bit of oil coming out of it. I figured it was overflow from a vent, or something like that, so went to a car wash, and washed off the engine, and went home.

Today I took a ride, and after about 10 miles or so when I got off the highway I noticed oil burning, and the engine is once again coated in oil! At this point I went over to the dealer, they cleaned off the engine, and took bike for a 10 minute ride or so. When the guy came back he said he couldn't see any oil leaking, and sent me on my way. When I went outside to the bike, I noticed it was in fact leaking oil, but from fairly high up on the engine (it was even covering the carbs). So after pointing it out, they write up a repair order, and tell me to call on Monday.

Well, my question is this: The guy was saying that it was a very odd looking oil leak, so I'm wondering what might have broke in the fall? Also, the day before this all happened I installed coasters on the bike, removing the reed valves, and all the associated hosing. The coaster kit included a rubber plug that was probably meant to be installed into the air box, but I stuck it into the one remaining hose that goes to the airbox instead. Is it possible that something to do with the coastering caused the oil leak?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

-MikeS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 02:38 AM

not knowing anything about your bike (i.e. age, condition,etc.). it's hard to come up with reasons for the upper engine leak. a couple of thoughts i had when reading your post is; if the bike is up there in years maybe the jarring from the fall cracked a bittle valve cover gasket or tweaked the valve cover enough to not sit flush and the other thing i thought of is maybe its an exterior oil line that got tweaked and is not seated properly in the block. that is where i would first look. coastering shouldn't cause that problem, but i'm no expert. i had a driveway lay down this summer and i had oil but it was from the air filter which covered the top of my engine as it flew off as i rode. that might be the problem. a final thought is if you have old coolant maybe that could be the fluid that you detect as i could of leaked out of the pressure relief valve when on its side.

hope its simple to fix J
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 04:06 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
One of the oil likes may have cracked and spraying up on the motor, or a valve cover like stated above.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
My money is on an external oil line with a stress crack in it.

Gaskets are sandwitched a good way into the engine and an external scrape on the edge shouldn't matter.

Do you know where the car made contact with the bike?

An ACCT cover with a crack from impact?

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I talked to the dealer today, and it seems that the oil was coming from the air filter. I had slightly overfilled the bike the last time I checked the oil, that combined with it getting knocked over sort of filled the airbox/air filter with oil. All that was needed was cleaning out the oil from the airbox and filters. While it was there I told them to do a full 5k service on it (the bike already has 4900 miles on it, hard to believe just 3 months ago it had only 400!), and I made sure they're going to lube the driveshaft splines!

It's good to know that it's not something major!

-MikeS
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 05:10 PM

I would be at that dunkin doughnuts every morning looking for that car. If the person didnt think that they hit anything, im sure they will be back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement