Sportster Mufflers - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Sportster Mufflers

Went back through about 25 pages of posts. Found one post that showed the way to mount the tabbed Sportster mufflers, and one post that said that they were about 200% quieter than the stock VN-750 mufflers. But that the carbs may need to be rejetted for a richer mixture. Has anyone installed the stock Sportster mufflers, and did they rejet or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Prowling Tiger

If the pipes are more restrictive, that would mean less air flow meaning less gas needed. My guess would be you would need to lean the bike some. They already come lean from factory, you might be alright with stock jets. I'd like to hear what someone else thinks.

I remember Wolfie saying he had sportster muffs; dunno if he rejetted then or not.

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 05:22 PM

I installed the Hardley Sportsters, fully baffled. Like them ALOT better than the stock pipes. Here's a link to my profile pix: https://www.vn750.com/forum/album.php?albumid=512

I had already performed the earshave with 142/42's and 2 shims/side by the time I installed these muffs so I can't say directly what would have been like without rejet. I am very glad to have done the shave.

Malibu Shades windscreen, headlight visor, custom dashboard with voltmeter and clock, luggage rack, extended backrest, Viking saddlebags and toolbag, Wingerline engine guard with foot pads, light bar with halogen bulbs, Hardley Sportster muffs with crossover, homemade coasters, earshave with K&N pods, 142/42 jets with 2 shims each needle, MCCT's, AGM battery, coil relay mod, Iridiums with yellow NGK plug wires, relocated R/R, WOLO air horn, VN750.com chrome radiator guard

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Sportster Muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebezer View Post
I installed the Hardley Sportsters, fully baffled. Like them ALOT better than the stock pipes. Here's a link to my profile pix: https://www.vn750.com/forum/album.php?albumid=512

I had already performed the earshave with 142/42's and 2 shims/side by the time I installed these muffs so I can't say directly what would have been like without rejet. I am very glad to have done the shave.
Nice pics, they alkmost look factory. Now I need to find out what the Earshave mod is and what it does?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 10:51 PM

there is a write up on it. It is removing the stock air filter boxes and putting pod filters.

92 Stealth
89 Trans Am
67 Camaro
91 suburban v2500
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yevgenievich View Post
there is a write up on it. It is removing the stock air filter boxes and putting pod filters.
I see, maybe putting in K&N cartridges would give the same effect?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 11:05 PM

stock filter set up is restrictive even with k&n filter inside. Removing all the stock filter hardware allows to put a filter directly on the throttle body giving the best response. This does reduce the ability to ride through deep water/heavy rain and such. Really depends if filters are oiled correctly

92 Stealth
89 Trans Am
67 Camaro
91 suburban v2500
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 11:48 PM
Banned

geezy, I run K&N filters in the stock 'ears'. I think an earshave is more about looks than anything else.

Looks as if you are going to have some quiet exhaust. I remember your other posts.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 12:07 AM

I ran K&N's in the stock ears for a few months. It ran fine for quite some time, but started having an issue with running rough and dying at low speeds/idle. Had to keep revved to keep it going. Nothing to do with K&N's in the stock ears, just coincidence.

Following the sage advice of several members here, I dove in to the carb rebuild. I disassembled, cleaned and installed the 142/42 jets with the two shims on needles. After reading about the added responsiveness AND seeing some before/after pix, I opted for the ear shave with K&N pods at the same time since I had to take all that off anyway to get to the carbs.

I also coastered with some homemade plates. Have not regretted it at all. I do think it looks better than stock, and I know it seems much more responsive.

Malibu Shades windscreen, headlight visor, custom dashboard with voltmeter and clock, luggage rack, extended backrest, Viking saddlebags and toolbag, Wingerline engine guard with foot pads, light bar with halogen bulbs, Hardley Sportster muffs with crossover, homemade coasters, earshave with K&N pods, 142/42 jets with 2 shims each needle, MCCT's, AGM battery, coil relay mod, Iridiums with yellow NGK plug wires, relocated R/R, WOLO air horn, VN750.com chrome radiator guard
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 06:40 AM
Giggity!

Garage
I'd suggest removing the goats belly if your going to add the sportster mufflers.
I ran them with the belly for quite a while & yes it is quiet.
Without the belly it's still not loud by any means & has a nice sound.
Plus I noticed there's not nearly as much engine retard with the
Belly removed. I'm certain now that both combined creates too much back pressure
To properly warrant an ear shave.

But this is of course my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement