Coolant change and radiator flush - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Mushu
Coolant change and radiator flush

I been meaning to change the coolant of my bike for sometime now but never really got around to do it until this weekend. I'm absolutely sure that it had the original coolant in it (13 years old, nice vintage!!!!) so I make it also a point to run some radiator flush through the engine to clean it.
Also some related story is that about a month ago the coolant overflowed from the reservoir but actually came out through the cap and not the overflow tube as it was supposed to do. As I drained the reservoir I discovered a lot of sediment in it (I'm guessing that some of the old sediment make it's way to the reservoir and blocked the overflow tube... also to my surprise when I removed the drain plug on the oil pan to drain the coolant nothing came out...!!!! I removed the ones on the cylinder jacket and drain them... put the radiator flush in and water... let it run in the engine for about 10 min. and presto, the bottom drain plug worked, some more junk came out and I put everything back together again. Refilled the system with new coolant and what a difference!!!... Lower running temperatures (at least what my hand tells me) and an additional benefit is that the R/R is running much cooler now (original location)... my best guess is that the fan keep running even at crusing speed so the power consumption was way up...
My conclusion is that a top shape cooling system help in three ways our bikes:

a) cooler running cyclinders... less friction and better life expectancy from the engine
b) less running time of the fan... less stress to the R/R and the stator from elevated currents
c) Cooler oil... This a bit of a assumption on my part but if the cooling system removes more heat from the cylinder and piston area, the oil heats up somewhat less and aiding the life expectancy of the stator.

I believe that my bike has some more junk in the cooling system so I plan to do a second change of coolant and cleaning within the next month... I don't believe 13 years of junk just dissolved in 10 minutes so I better err on the safety side... for less that 10 bucks it's worth it...

93 VN750
R/R Relocation to the front
Pirelli MT66 Tires soon to be mounted (only after 14 years...)

Last edited by Mushu; 01-22-2007 at 12:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushu
also to my surprise when I removed the drain plug on the oil pan to drain the coolant nothing came out...!!!! I removed the ones on the cylinder jacket and drain them... put the radiator flush in and water... let it run in the engine for about 10 min. and presto, the bottom drain plug worked, some more junk came out and I put everything back together again. Refilled the system with new coolant and what a difference!!!...
I had the same thing happen to me when I went to drain my coolant when I began the rebuild. I ended up just removing the bottom hose from the radiator and draining it that way. It had bugger all fluid in it anyhow!
Thanks for the handy tip about the radiator flush, I'll definitely be giving that a go as soon as I get the VN back from the exhaust shop and it's up and running properly.

1986 VN750
Rebuild completed April '07
Pics here

2005 Z750
107 RWHP
Pic here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement