Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Can't stars- need help

Hi all.
I can't start an engine. Fuel is ok. I have not idea, what is a problem? At all, it was starts badly if temperature near 0 deg. Celsium. Now is minus 3 deg. Cel. and engine don't even try to start. I connect an another bettery, actualy + another to increase starter speed.
Need help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to tankist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taras_s View Post
Hi all.
I can't start an engine. Fuel is ok. I have not idea, what is a problem? At all, it was starts badly if temperature near 0 deg. Celsium. Now is minus 3 deg. Cel. and engine don't even try to start. I connect an another bettery, actualy + another to increase starter speed.
Need help
Taras, if you want an answer more details about your situation needed.
do you have the indicator lights on when turning the key to "on"? is the engine trying to turn over at all during start? how do you know it is not fuel? why did you use additional battery? is the additional battery any good at all? more info please. etc.

also i hope you don't put the additional battery in series (posledovatel'no) to "increase" starter speed.

Ride Safe

Anton.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 12:48 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Make sure you are only applying 12 Vdc to the electrical system AND NOT 24Vdc.

Make sure you have spark, pull plug and hold to ground and verify it is firing.

If you have spark, problem is most likely your choke, assuming all other carb functions are correct. Insure that it is opening (and more important) closing with the handlebar control.

Let us know what you find.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 04:01 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Yeah, some more info on the problems would help.
Kind of sounds like it could be a loose/bad connection ground wire.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

Well, as I can see I've no electrical problem.Indicator lights is on. The other battery is 12vdc( ofcorse), and paralell connection, ( just becouse bikes battery need to recharching - 11.23 v). Sparks is ok. Engine is turn over when i try. In one case of 4 or 5 tries i'he 1 realy loud explosion.
to Jon, I think so too, something with choke, how I can chek it?
And one more, I have realy cold and high humidity air in garage where it store. There is changed intake schem, no ears, 0-resistance filter. I think it influences also.

I rod a week ago and carbs function was ok, but choke has strange response, i mean when warmed up choke don't give a stable rpm. And when engine is cold choke works like switch.
Sorry for dificult discription, i've problems with technical language.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 11:45 AM

i had couple of very (VERY) loud explosions happen when starting the bike before i switched to MF battery (of AGM type). i don't think it is this particular battery technology that made the difference in my case - the old one i took out was cracked and had one cell almost dry.
when i tryed to start the bike back then it turned over pretty good but failed to start. after about 5 times trying i heard loud bang. stood there shocked for a second tryed again and it started with no problem, had nothing like this with a new Batt.

so my guess is that your problem might be (or least partially?) because of a weak battery. paralleling good battery with weak one is not a good idea sinse now the power would be wasted to recharge the weakrer one. i'd say use one good battery (recharge at home if needed).

"i mean when warmed up choke don't give a stable rpm. And when engine is cold choke works like switch."
when the engine warmed up and if everything is functioning properly there is no need in choke. as the matter of fact you NEED to have it fully disengaged (away from you) while riding or you will be facing overheating and various problems later on. if engine will not hold idle RPM without choke yo might want to adjust the idle screw, not the choke.
hope this helps, good luck!

EDIT:
BTW if you interested you are welcome to check out other forum i write to - www.chicagorussianriders.com . the name should kinda explain everything. you can ask your questions in russian (even though it is mostly "in english" forum. easier to type i guess) and while it is kinda slow right now (that time of year...) there is still couple of very good bike mechanics showing up once in a while. not vulcan specific and IMO not as friendly as this one but still.

Ride Safe

Anton.

Last edited by tankist; 01-11-2007 at 11:55 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for a link.

Now I'm recharging my battery, and try to start after that, I anderstand that choke need just to start engine,
and I steel think that something wrong with it, couse last few times I start an engine, it starts more easier when choke is fully disengaged.
My only one sequance to start: choke is fully disengaged,button, then throtle, then fully engaged choke, relese throtle.
And ofcourse I keep choke off while riding.
And one more, it really cool starts when two of us pulls bike on 2 gear(Легко заводиться с толкача).

Taras Stets
86' VZ750
Varta 18 Ah
don't wont,but need to R/R relo,
Ukraine, near Kiev
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 12:40 PM

From reading alot on this site,it sounds like the battery to me to,also you may
want to change the spark plugs to Iridium plugs (NGK DPR7EIX-9).
Otheres here have said these two mods have fixed the problem.
Good Luck.

Steve from Pittsburgh
2005 vn750
modified knifemaker driver boards
chrome levers, Shaved saddle
Ape manual CCT's, nylon saddle bags
engine mount covers, plexIII windshield
crash bar w/floor boards, air hawk pad
ear mod, rad cover/,w/ss mesh
chrome cable and wire covers
chrome anti-freeze cover
RR relocation,MF battery,drilled out
idle plugs,marbled
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 03:13 PM

taras, you are doing everything right. hope it is going to start with good battery.

Ride Safe

Anton.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

I find out what it was.
I installed recharged battery, and tried to start an engine. It turns over but nothing else happaned. And I decided to check wires visualy.
And find a corrosion on coils connectors, on primary windings. Its were in blue solt, but straneg things : When I cleaned it, engine start, I don't know why, becouse I saw spark firing before cleaning( even fill with my finger), and engine don't even try to start.
Hmm....I think, maybe spark was weak and it don't fires under pressure in cylinder?
My father, an engineer always says: "There is no bad electonics, there are bad contacts!" - I'm salling electronics and see it almoust everyday.

Well, now its ok with wires( Thank you all ), engine stars not bad, but still have problems with CHOKE (can't start without throttle), when warmed up, when I try to give more gas with choke and fully engaged it - engine rapidly stops.

Can you describe how do you start the engine and operate choke(And how can I check it)?

I become a bad carma with this bike: Oil becomes from fork, I'll start a new thread it suspenssion section.
Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement