\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Question oil changes

So far I have had the dealer change the oil in my new bike at 500, 3000, and 3800 miles (when the bike has been in the shop for other reasons). I will want to do this myself in the future.

Questions:
1. How often should I change the oil?
2. What kind of oil/oil filter is best?
3. Is there a good, detailed description of the process I can follow?
4. What do I do with the old oil?

Concerning #4: I read somewhere that quick-lube shops that change the oil in your car will often take and dispose of the old oil you drain out of your motorcycle. But I talked to a guy from Valvoline today who said that nobody does this anymore.

EZC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyRector
So far I have had the dealer change the oil in my new bike at 500, 3000, and 3800 miles (when the bike has been in the shop for other reasons). I will want to do this myself in the future.

Questions:

Concerning #4: I read somewhere that quick-lube shops that change the oil in your car will often take and dispose of the old oil you drain out of your motorcycle. But I talked to a guy from Valvoline today who said that nobody does this anymore.
This should get as many answers as responses.

Too many variables for one answer.

1. Probably can't go wrong with 2,000 mile interval for oil & filter.
2. Search this on the site, it has been discussed many times. Read the manual as a starting point.
3. Shop manual or Clymer's will cover it, but pretty basic. When ready, post up here and I am sure you will get the do's and don'ts.
4. Bring it to Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, etc., they all take back old oil.
The guy from Valvoline may be required to say this.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:19 PM

I agree that you'll prolly get a gob of answers on this subject. If you want to read for yourself, and make your own decision, read this: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

I ordered Pure One Purolator filters for $5.88 each from Amazon. Top rated, but there are a load of good ones.

To change the oil, my method is to put the bike on the centerstand, put my oil drain pan under the kickstand area, and remove the side 17mm drain plug, with the screen in it. I let the oil drain from there until it finishes, then I push the drain pan forward and roll the bike off the centerstand, and lean it to the left side and hold it while more oil drains. Once I tire of holding the bike, I put it back on the centerstand and replace the drain and screen. Careful not to overtighten the drain plug. Maybe 12 ft/lbs or less. Then I move the drain pan to under the oil filter and remove it, let the oil drain, wipe off the mess it makes on the front of the starter, and get my new filter out, fill it with new oil, wipe a film of new oil on the rubber gasket, and screw it on and hand tighten as tight as i can get it. Then I fill the crank case from the filler port on the top until it just has a tiny bubble on the top of the site glass. Then I start the bike, let it run a few minutes, shut it down and let the oil settle. Then if needed, I top it off until I have a small bubble at the top of the site glass. Wipe up any drips I made and I'm done.

I take my oil to NAPA to dispose of it.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:30 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Quote:

Questions:

Depensd on how you ride 2k to 3k is normal

Quote:
To many answers, I would say none are bad but some are better

Quote:
There is a drain on the bottom of the motor and a drain on the left side of the motor. There is a screen behind the left side, good to check and make sure it is clean.

Quote:
Quote:

I work for a Dealer we will take used oil from anyone, one reason is we sell the oil to a recycling company so we make money on used oil. Most do this so I would not see why they would not want to take it.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy
To change the oil, my method is to put the bike on the centerstand, put my oil drain pan under the kickstand area, and remove the side 17mm drain plug, with the screen in it. I let the oil drain from there until it finishes, then I push the drain pan forward and roll the bike off the centerstand, and lean it to the left side and hold it while more oil drains. Once I tire of holding the bike, I put it back on the centerstand and replace the drain and screen. Careful not to overtighten the drain plug. Maybe 12 ft/lbs or less. Then I move the drain pan to under the oil filter and remove it, let the oil drain, wipe off the mess it makes on the front of the starter, and get my new filter out, fill it with new oil, wipe a film of new oil on the rubber gasket, and screw it on and hand tighten as tight as i can get it. Then I fill the crank case from the filler port on the top until it just has a tiny bubble on the top of the site glass. Then I start the bike, let it run a few minutes, shut it down and let the oil settle. Then if needed, I top it off until I have a small bubble at the top of the site glass. Wipe up any drips I made and I'm done.
I leave my bike on the side stand. I pull the filter off first. Put some tin foil under the filter and over the starter so it drains to your pan without getting all over the starter, like a bib. Remove the side drain plug, stick your finger in the hole and pull out the screen, VERY GENTLE. Make sure you maintain the order of the washers and screen. Inspect the screen for chunks, shiny stuff and clean it if needed. Go have dinner. Put everything back. Now put it on the center stand and fill it with oil like above. Start it up and let it run for a few minutes. Shut it down, check the site glass and adjust if needed.

Change the oil at least once a year. I do mine in the fall so when I store it for the winter that old crappy oil doesn't sit in there for a couple of months. I have 4700 miles and have changed it three times so far. When in dought change it. It won't hurt.

Ron from Jersey
2005 VN750
HellFire windshield
Kaw extended backrest
Cobra exhaust
Re-located stator wires
Side bags
15,000 Miles July/2012
It's PAID OFF ! May 2009

Last edited by rnewell; 11-28-2006 at 04:44 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewell
I leave my bike on the side stand. I pull the filter off first. Put some tin foil under the filter and over the starter so it drains to your pan without getting all over the starter, like a bib. Remove the side drain plug, stick your finger in the hole and pull out the screen, VERY GENTLE. Make sure you maintain the order of the washers and screen. Inspect the screen for chunks, shiny stuff and clean it if needed. Go have dinner. Put everything back. Now put it on the center stand and fill it with oil like above. Start it up and let it run for a few minutes. Shut it down, check the site glass and adjust if needed.

Change the oil at least once a year. I do mine in the fall so when I store it for the winter that old crappy oil doesn't sit in there for a couple of months. I have 4700 miles and have changed it three times so far. When in dought change it. It won't hurt.
Doh! Reading your post, I'm wondering why I use the centerstand? Ok, from now on, I'm doing it your way!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 07:42 PM

Smile

I like to change my oil every 1000 miles.Its that I like my oil as fresh as possible filter too.Nothing like a good oil change engines just seem to last a lot longer.Thats just what I do.....................
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 07:48 PM

if you want to get rid of your old oil to someone that really would love to have it....grab your phonebook and call a local trucking or garbage company...alot of them have heaters in their shops that use waste oil to burn for heat in the mechanics shops and they can never have too much...the place I was just working for here in Ct had one and took my old oil, when I lived in NJ the garbage Co I worked at also had 1 and wanted everyones oil....some places can even take the old filter if they have the crusher machine for them
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 12:36 PM

I just changed my oil over the weekend and shot another video while doing it. I still need to edit it but I plan on posting it on You Tube when done hopefully sometime this week. I use the center stand method and the bottom drain plug for primary drainage and then the side stand to get the last drops out and check the screen. I will be using the bib idea from now on for the filter though.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 02:38 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

I use synthetic oil, which is made to last longer than standard oil, so I usually change the oil around 4000mi., filter every other oil change.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement