Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

More Power *~*

I have over the years tried to find what makes the difference in power output between the export models 'SA' HAS THE HIGHEST 'UK' NEXT THEN 'US'.
I have compared the usual components you would change for performance cams,pistons,head,carbs,crank, exhausts...ect. but all measure up the same and all have the same part numbers, the only change seams to be jets and needles in the carbs so it could be to do with the emision control system. max.speed is about 115mph this is limited by the CDI unit as the advance curve backs right off a about 8,500rpm, I have even experimented with running a supercharger (eceleration was better) but still 115mph top, I found out from kawasaki japan (very helpfull people) that i could use a CDI off a Gpz 305 which has the same advance curve but the rev. limiter does not come in till 10,500rpm but I would probably need to change my hydraulic lash adjusters for solid and shims as over 8,500rpm they maypop apart, this I have not tried yet as I will have to machine up some one off parts to fit,and that will have to wait til I finish the other mods on my spare engine.
Spare engine
I have done a lot of re-working on an old engine I blooooow up in the early 90's so far I have ground 1/4" off the bigend jurnal diamitter and had the crank nitride hardened so i could fit split needle roller bearing bigends, when having the bigend ground I asked to have it ground off center if possible they managed get me 3mm extra stroke by doing this (bonus) this would mean piston or barrel mod's later on, also turned down main jurnals and machined crank casses to fitt needle roller mains( you have to grind a slot through the bearing inner ring to let the oil through) also I removed all weight from the balance shaft so it is now perfectly balanced and lightend and re-balanced the crank(it looks anerexik now) I still have to get over the oil preasure problem as the rollors only need an oil supply they don't need preasure but if i don't restrict the flow through them none will get to the other bearings or bigend and there will be very little preasure going up to the heads(this i am still working on)it should not effect the tappets as i should be replacing them for manual adjusters but could cause the cam jurnals to over heat and sieze, I have a few options ie.regulators,restrictor jets and shimming i will just have to experiment somemore. Also I have designed a set of new clutch/crank gears for my mate to give him a lower rpm to mph for crusing I will put a picture of these in the gallery mod's section later and will let you know if they improve ride/mpg. we are still waiting for the quotes to come back so don't know if we can aford them yet. made some barrel spacers to cope with the extra stroke (which worked well) but desided to reprofile the pistons instead, as this would improve the compresoin ratio, when I can afford it I may look into having the cams re-profiled but they arn't to tame as std.
If anyone has any goot tricks they have tried or any wild ideas that might work to get more power please add to my insanity.
P.S. PROGRESSIVE NITROUS KILLS YOUR WALLET AND YOUR BIKE(AND IT IS HIGHLY CORROSIVE TO YOUR DRIVING LICENCE)

BEST OF HEALTH AND HAPPYNESS
EDALBRIS

1952 NORTON (MODEL ONE) 'BIG 4'
1955 NORTON DOMINATOR 88/99 CAFE RACER
1981 KAWASAKI Z1000ST SHAFT
1988 KAWASAKI VN750 (UK) HARDTAIL + 5"
1988 KAWASAKI VULCAN 750 (US)

ALL TIME WISHLIST BIKES
1939 BROUGH SUPERIOR SS100 GRAND ALPINE SPORT
ANY 1940ish NORTON WITH CS1 ENGINE
A RIDE ON A NORTON NEMISIS 'A'
NEVER HAD A CAR LICENCE AND HOPFULLY NEVER WILL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 05:22 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALBRIS
P.S. PROGRESSIVE NITROUS KILLS YOUR WALLET AND YOUR BIKE
(AND IT IS HIGHLY CORROSIVE TO YOUR DRIVING LICENCE)
LOL, how true !!!

Best of luck on your "More Power" mods. Sounds like you're going all out on it. Let us know how it turns out.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 03:11 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to tankist
supercharger? man, that sounds like your going to modify the sh..t out of your engine... good luck there. post some pics of the process

i can only say, my top speed on this bike was 95Mph and it didn't feel like it was holding the road good. suspension is very basic on our bikes, i would modify it first before going for higher top speed.

Ride Safe

Anton.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankist
i would modify it first before going for higher top speed.
Hardtailed and 5" frame streach and car tyre on rear handles fine check my pics (it doesnot usualy have the sidecar on ..took family on tour of europe this summer)

EDALBRIS

ALL TIME WISHLIST BIKES
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 11:14 AM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
holy sh$t, imgaine the ride on a hardtail at 120 mph.... i wouldnt touch over 70.....and a car tire? y not just a sports bike tire?

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Handles better than twin shock (Winchester bypass 115mph no problem)

the hardtail was built properly so it flexes just enough and the ride on a rigid if built well is far more precice than a sprung rear end,the extra length in the rear also improves stability, rear tyre runs at about 5psi. Car tyres are cheep, very high milage and alter the ride geomatry so that if you go into a bend to fast you don't have to throttle back to stop drifting out like on std. bikes you just give her a big handfull of throttle and she sucks right into the bend, I have a friend with a GPZ 900R who can testify to this as on winedy roads he usualy gets left behind (and he drives that thing like a mad man).
There are some pics of the hardtail in the gallery.

EDALBRIS

ALL TIME WISHLIST BIKES

Last edited by EDALBRIS; 11-20-2006 at 02:38 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Wow. wish you luck. Not sure why you'd pick a Vulcan 750 as a platform engine to modify for more power...(watched too many episodes of "Tool Tme" ??..)

I wanted more power, more room and more hauling space, so I sold the Vulcan and got one of these:
http://tinyurl.com/y6qxdq

Am guessing even after spending $$$$$$$$$ on engine mods you will still end up with less horsepower than the FJR and will have spent enough to buy a few of them.

But gotta love someone that take on a challange.....

Knifemaker

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

when you've spent 18 years together a new model ain't an option

Ask your misses...lol
Just a mad english man and all the mods I do myself so it has hardly cost me any ££££ just lots of time..but thats the whole fun of it(if its broke-fix it.....If it ain't broke make it work better), if I whas'nt doing the bike the misses would probably have me doing the decorating. don't under estimate the pulling power of a vn750, I used to tow my 14' yaught around on a GL1100 goldwing and sidecar,it lasted about 8 months(14000miles) before it just gave up, nakered!. The VN hauled that thing around for about 4 years with no ill effect, look after her and she'll see you right.

EDALBRIS

ALL TIME WISHLIST BIKES
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker
Wow. wish you luck. Not sure why you'd pick a Vulcan 750 as a platform engine to modify for more power...(watched too many episodes of "Tool Tme" ??..)

I wanted more power, more room and more hauling space, so I sold the Vulcan and got one of these:
http://tinyurl.com/y6qxdq

Am guessing even after spending $$$$$$$$$ on engine mods you will still end up with less horsepower than the FJR and will have spent enough to buy a few of them.

But gotta love someone that take on a challange.....

Knifemaker

does that require shimming of the lifters, or is it hydrolic.... i like that bike, and it fits what i need

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 03:20 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Well, have always respected anyone answering "Why?" with "why not?" ...the whole "Because it's there...." concept. And anyone that likes Nortons is alright in my book too.
Other than opening up the valve area for better breathing, adding either bigger carbs or re-jetting for a less restrictive air filter, I am at a loss as far as punching up the power on the 750. I know there are 'hot' cams available for many bikes, but have not seen any for the Vulcan. NO2 is however and intresting option and I actualy considered this at one time...

Good luck and let us know what you come up with,

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement