the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to tankist
Qestions from Taras.

got a PM from him, here is the story:

"when riding on extremley low speed (almost stoped, in 2nd gear hence very low engine RPM) and releasing clutch gently the engine jerks and periodic knock is heard. If starting from 1st gear and medium RPM everything is fine.

also there is more smoke from one of the exhaust pipes or maybe it's more dense. can't really describe the problem since i can't ride right now - it is snowing."
--------------------------
Taras, i think this noise you talking about comes from lugging the engine. almost stopped in 2nd gear is way to low of RPM. i'm sure you stalled copule of times too while doing this. this kinda noise apears when opening throttle hard on low speed and to high of a gear. even thou our bike is a cruiser it still likes to rev. keep it above 2000-2500RPM and you will be happy with it, and it is a completley different bike once you pass 5000!
props on practicing low speed manuvers!

i'm not an expert in this but as far as smoke from one of the pipes it could be carburaor in need of cleaning. over here we use product named "seafoam" but i'm not sure if it is available in kiev (i actually would be very surprised if it is available). it is a detergent that you add in your fuel, maybe you guys have something else for this.
also take a look at your spark plugs (we have 2 for each cylinder).

Taras, also read the verses ( and there was a thread recently about it) about winterising your bike. you storing it outside and it will suck big time if you'll find your bike dead in spring.

Ride Safe

Anton.

Last edited by tankist; 11-08-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Once Banned

Here's an answer from customer sales at seafoam:

We appreciate your interest in Sea Foam products. Currently Sea Foam products are only sold in the United States and Canada. We are sorry to have to tell you that their is currently no place to buy Sea Foam products in the Ukranine. Thank you for your interest in Sea Foam products.

Sincerely,
Kari Hanson
Customer Service
Sea Foam Sales Company

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 05:03 AM

Thank you for answering, as for more smoke from one of the exhaust pipes, I have an idea: may be its becouse one of the carburator was overload of fuel( I forgot turn off cock on left side of bike) and bike was stood by that inclined. I storing bike in garage where is about zero cel. temperature. Does this temperature can damage it?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
i think at long periods of time any temperature has its unique side effects. as far as sea foam, you can always order it online.... shipping with be $$$, but well worth it, so buy a few cans. fuel shut off it automatic, only turns on while the einge produces vacume. is the smoke like a thick smoke indicating blowby?

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hizzo3
i think at long periods of time any temperature has its unique side effects. as far as sea foam, you can always order it online.... shipping with be $$$, but well worth it, so buy a few cans. fuel shut off it automatic, only turns on while the einge produces vacume. is the smoke like a thick smoke indicating blowby?
thtas a good point too.

Taras, completley forgot to ask, is it only during start up/ choked ? i have slightly denser smoke form one pipe but only when starting

i'm not sure what are the shipping rates. also seafoam might be considered HAZMAT --> cannot be shipped by air mail. otherwise i'm willing to be the middle person here and get it for you.
you can also get on cegodsey's good side, make him divulge the secret formula of this great thing and mix it yourself. but my guess you should try local automotive stores first, they probably sell some kind of fuel additive to clean craburators.

Ride Safe

Anton.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 09:09 AM

To tankist, can you check if seafoam can be shipped by air? How much it cost there? And what seafoam model, do you use? , it is only during start up/ choked i have slightly denser smoke form one pipe. I checked it when i ride yesterday. Knoking is still hear, if tempr. will be above zero I will record this sound.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taras_s
To tankist, can you check if seafoam can be shipped by air? How much it cost there? And what seafoam model, do you use? , it is only during start up/ choked i have slightly denser smoke form one pipe. I checked it when i ride yesterday. Knoking is still hear, if tempr. will be above zero I will record this sound.
well, it is flammable liquid so no AIR shipment. the shipping rates are obsene anyways - 110$ to DHL a .5Kg package from chicago to kiev(we pay something like 4-6$ a bottle over here). i think you should have some other products of similar functionality available localy. sounds like the smoke is not much of a problem though.

Taras, if you find yourself in situation you described (riding extremley slow in 2 gear) and choose to remain in that gear anyways you should slip the clutch to let your engine rev. if you going to open it up hard (give it a lot of throttle)almost stopped in 2nd gear you ARE going to hear strange noises - the engine
is trying to say "SHIFT you ... !". keep it in its powerband and it will stay happy.

as others mentioned it also can be your ACCT (autmatic cam chain tensioner). Dieseling or Ticking- the best way to describe the sound of malfunctioning ACCT. it is heard best when idling. read more about it here
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1075

also don't hesitate to read through the rest of the vulcan verses, if anything else there are nice article about winter storage

Ride Safe

Anton.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

a thought just hit me.

what octane fuel do you use??? maybe you need octane booster added to fuel. as far as i remember the fuel quality in kiev (and rest of russia/ukrane/USSR) was always carp. do you use any fuel stabilizer at all?

Ride Safe

Anton.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Once Banned

You can't order seafoam from the seafoam people, but you probably can order it from an autoparts store. I imagine that Tankist would have to get it and send it to you. The ingredients are Pale Oil (a light oil, like linseed oil), Isopropyl alcohol, and Naptha. Couldn't tell you the percentages or quantities. It's all in the MSDS sheet on Seafoamsales.com website.

I suggested to Fergy that he should record the sound of the ACCT noise so that we can let others hear it to determine if this is their sound.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement