Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

valve cover gasket

Tags
gasket valve
4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Tamdango 
#1 ·
Hi all I was riding and could hear a soft ticking noise after stopping for a while I just turn the bike over and the valve cover Gasket blew at the half moons on the front cylinder. Should I just replace the gasket or check for a cause for the blow. Thanks

#3 ·
Do you know if the engine was ever pulled? If I remember right when I put mine back together the manual had me put some silicone in the valley there, not sure if that was to help hold it in place or to make a better seal.

#4 ·
All things being equal, if hte gasket was installed correctly then there had to have been a huge increase in pressure that blew it out. I would investigate what caused that pressure. Of course, if you can confirm that it was not installed correctly (def requires sealant) then you may be good installing a new one and using sealant.

#9 ·
The only other way pressure could get too high in the crankcase or valve covers is to have a problem on a piston or maybe a blown head gasket. With the piston, it could be broken rings, cracks, or hole burned in the piston.

Is it missing or down on power?

A compression test should show if there's a problem.

Pressurizing the problem cylinder and listening for air escaping would tell you where to look for a problem.

If it's running ok, there may be no problem. Could the valve cover have been over-tightened?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.