Crush Gaskets and Stock Pipes - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Crush Gaskets and Stock Pipes

Hi, Folks -
You've all created a tinkering monster, and since it's kinda rainy here today, I'm anxious to go break my...I mean, improve the performance of my bike. So I went out and bought sea foam, a portable tach for idle speed adjustment, and the HD crush gaskets that folks have recommended for reducing the decel popping. The more I read, however, the more I think I should have read before going into the HD store (blech! American marketing beyond comprehension!)...can I use these gaskets (17098 whatever) on stock pipes, or was I just supposed to get those if I was putting in after maket ones? And I recall correctly the last time I had my right pipe off, there's a little copper "crush" gasket in there already - do I take that out when I put in the new ones (assuming they're the right item)?

Thanks. It's supposed to rain tomorrow, too, so I can get myself into lots of trouble between now and leaving for work on Monday a.m.

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 04:37 PM

The old gaskets should fall out when you remove the exhausts, if not, just get a little pick, they will fall out. The HD gaskets will work with any exhaust you intsall. If you ever find yourself in a pinch and need gaskets and the shops are closed, you can just heat up the old gaskets until they turn red and drop them in water, The copper will swell just enough to crush them again. Back in the olden days when I had my KZ1000 that was bored to 1225, 34mm smooth bores, journals on crank were welded, Eagle High Lift cam and a Murry 4 into 1 exhaust. the head gasket was copper. So instead of buying a new copper gasket (big bucks back then) I would just heat up the old gasket and then dop it in water. Worked every time. No head gasket leak what so ever.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Excellent! Thank you!

Now, back to discover what kind of damage I can do...

C

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 05:37 PM
Benjammin'

Gaskets, also....

Cindy,
Let me know how the gaskets go. I have a set I picked up this week from the HD shop that I was going to do the same thing with. I also have some Honda Moly grease for the spline I was mentally preparing myself to do. We'll see about that one.

Good luck!

Ben-
SW Ohio

'02 VN750
Pipes drilled
Spline lubed
R/R relocated
AGM batteried
Iridium equipped
LED tail lighted
8000-ish miled
Soon to be MCCTed

Lovin Life.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

The spline job was actually pretty straightforward, thanks to Fergy's post with the pics (check the Vulcan Verses - I think the link is there). The only challenges I faced were a couple of times his instructions said to use a socket, and the socket wouldn't fit over the nut so I had to use a wrench instead (17mm, which was on the shocks, I believe). But otherwise, step-by-step and you're solid.

Be brave, young Jedi!

C
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 10:35 PM
Once Banned

The link is in the links, Motorcycle Tech pages.

Hey Rubline, why does the copper swell? The only thing I remember from my first 'after college job' is that steel gets brittle if you cool it fast by throwing it in water, but then that was steel, not copper. And then after Fergy said that copper gets really hard if you hammer it, so now I'm curious about this wonder-metal.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
i used the HD ones after i pulled my engine. They popped a lil when she first got hot. so i let her cool and retighten, and nothing since

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 07:18 PM

Im not sure why it swells, but it does, I guess by heating and cooling quickly, the atoms get moved around or something,, Im not sure. but it does work. But like I said,, only in a pinch. Plus the fact that new gaskets are only 14 bucks or so.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hizzo3
i used the HD ones after i pulled my engine. They popped a lil when she first got hot. so i let her cool and retighten, and nothing since
Very, very VERY glad to find this in the threads...I changed out the gaskets this afternoon, taking the copper out and putting the HD in. Also cleaned up the various and sundry parts up near the head of the exhaust 'cause there was a fair amount of rust on the left side. Started up the engine, and not only was there significant poppin' on the left side, but - SMOKE!! Ay yi yi!! I'd decided that after putting the gasket in, it must've slipped somehow and been consumed in teh flames of the hot exhaust, thus leading to the popping noises.

I think what happened, though, was that the lithium grease/cleaning stuff was just baking off; and that the popping was what you described - 'cause after I calmed down and got the bike back out on the road, it seemed to have stopped, at least out of the left side. (I made a couple of other adjustments - tightened down a few things, which may have helped). Oh, and the smoke appears to have let up as well.

C
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

My delight over having replaced my crush gaskets with the HD ones has ended... Took the bike out for a longer ride last night, and the darned thing sounds worse than ever. I think I may just put the copper gaskets back in, 'cause I've got popping all over the place.

Is there some trick to putting in the HDs that I'm missing? I mean, I just put them in at the header - like any gasket. But they sound awful.

Oh, and I'm riding stock pipes, for whatever that's worth.

Anybody got any suggestions? I'm gonna have to pull the pipes again anyway, but if I missed a step in putting the HDs in, I'll do that and see if they improve.

THANKS!!!!

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement