I performed the degoat on my wifes VN700 last night. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Talking I performed the degoat on my wifes VN700 last night.

I performed the degoat on my wifes VN700 last night.
Sorry, was in too big a hurry trying to beat the sun going down to take pictures.
maybe I can describe well enough for you to understand. no pipe bending is nececary, just welding. (using walmart mig welder)

step 1, remove entire exhaust system
remove all heat shields, remove all pipes from goat belly

find some conduit or pipe that the OD is just right to slide up into the head pipes.
after you aquire your pipe, take a side grinder or similar with abrasive cut off wheel and saw just behind the stop rings on the original nipple on the goats belly, the part that goes inside the mufflers, cut off both of these nipples, leaving the stop rings intact on the part you cut off.

hold up your pipe next to one side of belly and decide how long it needs to be when inserted half way in the nipples you removed, and it can exceed the end of the goat belly by an inch or so, because it can go inside each headpipe about 3 inches, but I make mine go in about 1 1/2 inches to allow for error.

the straight one is easiest, simply weld on the nipple with pipe inserted aprox 1/2 inch.
the one with the "bend" is a little more in preparation, but just as easy.
simply hold the one with the bend(left side) up to the goat belly with the end you removed and judge the angle the end needs to be welded on. then tack weld in place, then weld it on after verifying proper angle.

insert into headpipes on appropriate sides, then insert into mufflers, then temporarily mount everything to check clearances. when it is all situated, you can muffler clamp the headpipes on, or tack weld then remove from bike for final welding.

Then re-install both pipes, then put on original heat shields, and your done.

cost of scrap conduit at salvage 2.00
welding wire used estimate 1.00
labor cost Priceless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 07:34 AM

Re: I performed the degoat on my wifes VN700 last night.

I've been pondering doing the same thing on my 700 Vulcan. Can anyone tell me what the benifits are besides having a louder exhaust?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 08:08 AM

gnon2705,

It's done for sound only. It probably robs the enginge of some low end torque but it shouldn't be "seat-of-the-pants" noticeable.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 09:31 AM

You will lose some low end, but, for me at least, this was more than compensated for by eliminating the slight engine buzz/vibration at around 4300-4800rpm.

Secondly, with the reduced backpressure at 5k rpm and above, I could not even feel the engine running..it was like flying!!! It seemed to pull better up there also.

When I replaced the stock de-goated system s/ the VH Cruzers, the slight buzz came back, but so did my low end....but I love the look and quality of them.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: I performed the degoat on my wifes VN700 last night.

I happen to dissagree that it robs power from the engine if done "right"
the pre-muffler does actually reduce back pressure by being an expansion chamber. if you just de-goat, especially on the 750, you are actually increasing backpressure-at the time it counts-when the valve is open, because it has no chamber to go into, and it backs up against the small opening at the muffler generating the pop you hear in the new sound.

remedy: put in a "h" pipe into your degoat, this lets the other side become the expansion chamber, result, a lower tone and not as much pop, bigger bike sound and a return of power.

reasons:
keep your regulator and battery and ignitor cooler-a good thing!
plus a more big bike sound.

on the 700, I am not sure if an H pipe is nececary due to less exhaust escape volume.

Done with a kit, it is completely reversable if you dont like it.

Better than the cruizers-I would say not.
Cheaper-deffinatly.

Beavis
(out of the box thinker)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 03:01 PM

Hi Beavis;

Are you saying to install a cross pipe from one side to other? I plan to use a degoat kit from ScootWorks.com. Let's see if I got this right, once I have the kit installed, have an exhaust shop weld a same size cross over. Is this correct? Thanks.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: I performed the degoat on my wifes VN700 last night.

Yes, it is a crossover about the same size. could be a bit smaller if nececary, but mine is around the same size. too big equals more heat underneath.
but wouldnt go any less than the 2/3 the size.
makes a good sound.

then if you want it louder, you can drill 5/16 holes circling the exit tube on each muffler/ this will bypass the mini muffler in the back of each..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 08:44 AM
Forum Faciliator

One other reason to do it would be to remove/reduce the heat source to the regulator which is attached to the bottom of the battery box. Or you can just relocate the regulator like others have.

RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
gnon2705,

It's done for sound only. It probably robs the enginge of some low end torque but it shouldn't be "seat-of-the-pants" noticeable.

Red Baron
Binghamton, NY
Alright Already, Lets Ride!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement