Vance and Hines Cruzers install help - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Vance and Hines Cruzers install help

Hey all,

Just got my Vance and Hines in today and am waiting for the new gaskets to arrive tomorrow! I had a few question about the install that I was hoping you could help me out with.

First, I've been spraying PB Blaster on the four acorn nuts every night for the past few days just on the front seam of the nut. Is there anywhere else I should spray it before I attempt to take the stock exhaust off?

Second, What kind of tool should I use to take off the acorn nuts and what is the best technique? A 1/2 in socket seems to fit on them but the socket can't get to one on the right hand side. What tools have you all used?

Also, any tips of any kind would be very much appreciated! I'm somewhat of a "noob" working on bikes as this is my first one! I just refuse to let someone else put this exhaust on my baby!

Thanks!

Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 05:07 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
First, I've been spraying PB Blaster on the four acorn nuts every night for the past few days just on the front seam of the nut. Is there anywhere else I should spray it before I attempt to take the stock exhaust off?
Spray it again, then Rap / Tap (sharply & lightly) it with a Ball Pene Hammer 2 -3 times. This is a common practice with Stubborn/Rusty Nuts & Bolts. The vibration assists the PB Blaster to do the job more effectively. Let it work a few hours, repeat if needed or desired.

Also, the nuts & bolts on this bike are Metric. The correct size socket would be 13 mm.

hope this helps
WilliamTech

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 07:10 PM
gun slinger

Garage
12mm .. also i had to shim my right peg because the brake lever was slightly touching the heat shield and wait to tighten the clamps down for the shields till after you get the pipes mounted on the bike. that way you can access the heads for the clamps with a screw driver or 8mm socket

2010' voyager

2005 1600 nomad sold

1987 kawasaki vulcan 750 SOLD

1985 kawasaki vulcan 700 parts bike maybe
lots of hand guns
3 cagers doors kicked in

Last edited by centurynick; 07-17-2012 at 07:14 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

So, I know my gaskets won't be here tomorrow but I was feeling restless and went ahead and told the old exhaust off tonight. I went very well. it's a 1995 and all the acorn nuts came of very easily. Let me stress, VERY VERY VERY, easily. I wonder if that's normal??

Anyway, three (stupid) questions for the pros:
1. Where do the gaskets go when I get them tomorrow and

2. I'm guessing the two pieces of iron behind the acorn nuts and the chrome cover is the flange I am reusing and not the chrome trim? How is that to be used again?

3. I didn't take the footrest and brake assembly off because i read somewhere you don't need to. Am I okay with leaving it on?

Sorry for the dumb questions guys but I'm a new wrench-er!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

One last question! Did you use a torque wrench to tighten the acorn nuts and if so, what is the specified torque? Also, did you reuse the chrome "flange covers" (No idea what they're actually called) on each header pipe as well?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 07:08 AM
gun slinger

Garage
the gaskets will go right in the manifold ( when you take off he exhaust they get smashed between the pipe and the manifold) make sure you remove the old ones . the iron pieces are reused there a 2 piece design just install them how they came off . i didnt remove my pedal i just had to put a washer between it and the frame because the brake pedal was slightly touching the heat shield . i didn't reuse the little shield that cover the flanges
i just ran the bolts up untill i met some slight resistance and gave em a qtr to half turn to "crush " the new gaskets in place

2010' voyager

2005 1600 nomad sold

lots of hand guns
3 cagers doors kicked in
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 07:09 AM
gun slinger

Garage
i also had previously removed the center stand so i didnt need the bracket that bolts to the bike to hold the stand ( its in the kit its black and has a bend in it )

2010' voyager

2005 1600 nomad sold

lots of hand guns
3 cagers doors kicked in
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips man, I appreciate it. Where did you put the washer for the brake pedal though? And what size?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 10:17 PM
gun slinger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon13700 View Post
Thanks for the tips man, I appreciate it. Where did you put the washer for the brake pedal though? And what size?
between the brake pedal bracket and the frame i used 3/8" washers. i just needed to move the bracket away a little bit

2010' voyager

2005 1600 nomad sold

lots of hand guns
3 cagers doors kicked in
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Well the pipes are on and sound amazing! No video I've seen has done them any justice at all! The install was pretty straight forward after the tips from everyone! Thank you all again for the help!

I opted to just tighten the acorn nuts down until I felt some resistance from the gaskets so hopefully that's tight enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement