I have not been on in a while and have not keeped you guys informed on my project and I appologize. About three months ago I purchases a 2002 kawi MeanStreak 1500 whit a spun rod for 600 dollars. I know your guys are thinking "what is the catch and or who did you rip off?". Well it cam in 6 tuper ware boxes. The previous owner had disasembled it left on his bench for a couple years and never did anything else with it.
It cost me 800 dollars to get the crank fixed and rods cliped. I was not suppose to cost this much but Kawi over hardened the crank so it would not take chrome. It would just peal off when the machined it, so it had to be welded. It seems simple and normally can be for a competant machinist, but on single journal cranks it is a night mare. you can only weld about and inch on a certain spot with cause the crank to draw together, so then you have to weld the other side to draw it back as well as multiple trips to the oven to keep the hardness. this whole process took about 3 week from when I droped it off. atleast I had some time to get the money together lol.
I wish I had taken pictures of the crank before and after. I was just tired and agrevatted when I did the lower end. I had put the crank in backwards and did not notice till I had placed sealant and torqued the whole block.
These components took some serious torque to tighten down to spec. you would believe how heavy this thing is. you could seariously pop a testicle lifting it.
I spent alot of time scratching my head wondering why timeing would reproduce after turning it over. Duh I was was turining it over backwards unloading the timing chains lol. I need to find some pictures of the pistons. They were a mess because the owner left them on the bench and scratched them all to hell as well as bearing particles being embeded. My machinist convinced me not to buy new pistons but take scotch bright and sand the sides till smoth with a corass hatch and once dont measure the piston in various places to compare to the specs and decide wether to have them coated or not. luckily the were still in spec when I finished. less money invested the better.
I do not know how I would have gotten this engine in by my self with out my motorcyle jack.
currently were I stand is trying to do up a paint job for it. I purchased a damaged kawi sport bike tank so I could weld in the gas cap for a flush look since this bike will have the dash deleted. it has been a long time since I have put down flames so I was practicing with some old spray paint. My stripe tapes is about 9 years old lol. it did not want to lay down very good.