Oil Leak Help!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)
 
Exclamation Oil Leak Help!!

Hey guys,

I just bought my bike and am noticing a few drops of oil leak after every ride from the oil drain plug. At least, I think its the drain plug. Its right under the bike beside the kickstand. Anyway, if that's the leak, do I just need to put a new gasket or something on the plug? If so what size and were do I buy it? I'm planning on changing the oil tomorrow anyway and would like to get this leak taken care of!

Thanks in advance!
jon13700 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 450
iTrader: (0)
 
Garage
First check to see if it is tight. There is an o-ring on it.
Rebel13 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
JM2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 1,803
iTrader: (1)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel13 View Post
First check to see if it is tight. There is an o-ring on it.
Also check the threads, could be stripped from overtightening or cross threaded

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
JM2001 is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)
 
The plug is tight. I just got back from a ride and the drip is coming like an inch more towards the rear by another small nut or something. Any ideas!!?
jon13700 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 12:07 AM
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
 
bstew7890's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 227
iTrader: (0)
 
Perhaps it's blowing back from the drain plug during the ride? I would plan on running out for a new o-ring after you pull the drain plug; chances are its damaged. And make sure it's not over tightened or cross threaded.

'03 VN750 "Rosie"
Purchased in June 15, 2010
Windshield
Lubed Splines
Lubed and Adjusted Clutch Cable, Throttle Cables.
Relocated Voltage Regulator
Brakes Bled
Luggage Rack
Lazy Rider Bag
Leather Saddle Bags
Legitimate Title!! (finally!) Aug 30, 2010
New AGM Interstate Battery Sept 15, 2012

2008 Hyosung GV250 (sold!)
bstew7890 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 08:27 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
denny6006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: InezKY pop.600
Posts: 5,236
iTrader: (9)
     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon13700 View Post
The plug is tight. I just got back from a ride and the drip is coming like an inch more towards the rear by another small nut or something. Any ideas!!?
Are you referring to the oil drain with the screen on the side down low on the engine or the drain plug that threads straight up in to the crankcase?

These bikes have 2 drain plugs and the nut you are referring to may be the other drain plug.sounds like you need to buy an oil change and drain the oil and drain it and check both plugs and the seals.I think one has a sealing washer and the one with the screen has an o-ring,don't overtighten either.You can strip the aluminum threaded holes in your cases.




If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot



Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
denny6006 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Linkmeister Supreme
 
OlHossCanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 7,960
iTrader: (8)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon13700 View Post
Hey guys,

I just bought my bike and am noticing a few drops of oil leak after every ride from the oil drain plug. At least, I think its the drain plug. Its right under the bike beside the kickstand. Anyway, if that's the leak, do I just need to put a new gasket or something on the plug? If so what size and were do I buy it? I'm planning on changing the oil tomorrow anyway and would like to get this leak taken care of!

Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon13700 View Post
The plug is tight. I just got back from a ride and the drip is coming like an inch more towards the rear by another small nut or something. Any ideas!!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Are you referring to the oil drain with the screen on the side down low on the engine or the drain plug that threads straight up in to the crankcase?

These bikes have 2 drain plugs and the nut you are referring to may be the other drain plug.sounds like you need to buy an oil change and drain the oil and drain it and check both plugs and the seals.I think one has a sealing washer and the one with the screen has an o-ring,don't overtighten either.You can strip the aluminum threaded holes in your cases.
Denny, from the opening post jon describes the side drain plug behind the sidestand.

jon, the bolt located an inch behind the drain plug is one of 6 or 7 holding the side cover on the bevel gear case. Put a wrench on it and see if it is loose.
But I tend to agree with the idea that the O-ring on the drain plug is damaged.

link to diagram:
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...50137#sch50086

92055B: RING-O 11028-1099 864896 $4.82

You can probably just take the drainplug to a hardware or automotive store with a good selection of O-rings, and pick one to fit.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15


TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 06-23-2012 at 09:42 AM.
OlHossCanada is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
denny6006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: InezKY pop.600
Posts: 5,236
iTrader: (9)
     
Garage
What he said x2^,I missed the part about beside the side stand,looked at that to early I guess




If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot



Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
denny6006 is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)
 
Thanks for all the help guys! I got called in to work the next few days so I'll just have to keep an eye on the oil level until I can fix it! It isn't leaking more than a few drops after the bike is turned off so I should be good for a few days!
jon13700 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Model A Guy
 
Jeff Barnes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lex. Ky.
Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)
 
Oil leak

Could be the rubber gromet that seals the electrical wires coming from the stator. I used black RTV to seal mine as the rubber gromet was gone.
This was my several drops of oil (after every ride) leak and now I have none.
I used several paper towels to trace the leak, starting at the drips, up the left side of the engine. If you have a small inspection mirror it will help with putting the sealant around the opening where the wires come out of engine. Clean the opening and wires before aplication of the RTV. Just another possibility!
Jeff Barnes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome