harley mufflers and back pressure - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

harley mufflers and back pressure

My old mufflers had rotted of so i replaced them with a set of harley mufflers i got for 10$ a piece. I was wondering if these will provide more or less back pressure. they do seems a more quiet but could be because they end about a 1" infrom the back tire. i currently have my air screws a 2 turns and seems to run ok but with these mufflers should i adjust at all? the numbers off the mufflers are 64842-04 HARXL/S/883/1200. Thanks now i'll sit back and have a beer for every reply i get tonight lol

1991 VN 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 09:56 PM

Garage
Probably a hair more, nothing worth tuning.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:39 PM

Depends....do you still have your goatsbelly ?...and are the mufflers 100% stock ? Most used Harley muffs have had the baffles removed...if not sure, a baffled Harley has a solid plate about 8" from the back. My Sportster muffs increased backpressure, but they were fully baffled, which is rare for used. Unbaffled wil have about the same as Kawi stock, and mostly just make the tone deeper due to a larger chamber.
Check for the baffle...if not happy with sound or performance, just drill a 3/8" hole in each baffle plate (you can always close it up with a self tapping screw), or add more holes if desired/needed.

This is what your mufflers should sound like if baffled and no belly...

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13395517605461

Last edited by Wolfie; 06-12-2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: add

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

goats belly still in and the harley mufflers are stock still have the baffles. i don't mind the sound little on the quiet side which is ok for my neighborhood. Thanks for the reply, mighty put some holes in them and to get close to the stock back pressure

1991 VN 750
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

certified bike yesterday now need stickers. removed baffle didn,t seem to make the bike much louder closer to stock just a little deeper sound. front cylinder exhaust seems to be running slightly higher temp then the back probably because that side was sitting in the sun all morning. on another note found some tomato and mint plant growing in the back yard where a raked out our 7 year old copost pile this spring! lol

1991 VN 750
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
on another note found some tomato and mint plant growing in the back yard where a raked out our 7 year old copost pile this spring!
...yaaa, thats happened to me a few times...usually with potatoes though...all you need is some peppers now, and you can make a tomato-mint salsa ! (sounds strange, but the mint makes the peppers hotter !)...

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 08:24 PM

Hi.
I got a set of HD mufflers acctually from a guy on this site, I live in the uk and so I dont need the emission control stuff or the premuffler box.
I av done away with all that and jut put my HD mufflers on they are fantastic and the bike is more responsive now and runs better then it ever did, aprt from my carbs leaking fuel but thats a float needle.

Exhaust are fine !

Chris
Mcr UK
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.Mcr View Post
Hi.
I got a set of HD mufflers acctually from a guy on this site, I live in the uk and so I dont need the emission control stuff or the premuffler box.
I av done away with all that and jut put my HD mufflers on they are fantastic and the bike is more responsive now and runs better then it ever did, aprt from my carbs leaking fuel but thats a float needle.

Exhaust are fine !

Chris
Mcr UK
Hi Chris yeah I have a set of HD mufflers to put on when I get around to it.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

well just uploaded my first vid to youtube of the bike with the harley mufflers. have a look carbs are set a 2 turns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpbq6...ature=youtu.be

1991 VN 750
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 02:00 PM

....PLEASE....install a pair of MCCTs.........please ?....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement