Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Straight Pipes and Baffles?

GDay,

Currently the bike is running what appears to be some Harley Mufflers and even though it sounds ok, I did take them off when wrapping the pipes and started her up, it was obviously louder but the sound was fantastic.

My question is about taking them off and running a small in pipe baffle. As it sits now if the mufflers are removed both pipes are the same length which is important. Tuning wise it shouldnt be an issue i wouldnt have thought, but interested to know opinions.

Also how much difference would a 4 inch baffle make? Thinking maybe something like this? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SHORT-4-E...item3a746ff391

Any help appreciated

Cheers Cam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 09:54 PM

Garage
Do it if you want to, I have. Pictures are in my "Stella" thread. I haven't heard it since it isn't running as of yet. I suggest you get the 8" ones, you can always trim them down to satisfy if needed.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 10:09 PM

Just a reminder, Vulcans aint Harleys. They are finely tuned...*choke*... and precision engineered machines...*giggle*... designed to run like sewing machines (sorry, lol, couldnt resist that). Seriously though, Vulcans need more backpressure than Harleys. Id suggest adding an extra foot of straight pipe (baffle in there) and a nice angle cut end (both pipes). Believe it or not, more length will increase backpressure. Pipes too short can fry yer valves. Did it to my Bonneville.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

From a looks point of view i was hoping to go for the short pipes look, if its not going to happen without running another foot of pipe should i just paint these mufflers black and make them blend in a bit more.

Also on another note i wound the fuel mixture screws out to around 1 and half as the front was nearly all the way in and it seems to be throwing a bit more smoke out now, should i wind them back? Is it to rich?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 06:39 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by noremac52 View Post
GDay,

Currently the bike is running what appears to be some Harley Mufflers and even though it sounds ok, I did take them off when wrapping the pipes and started her up, it was obviously louder but the sound was fantastic.

My question is about taking them off and running a small in pipe baffle. As it sits now if the mufflers are removed both pipes are the same length which is important. Tuning wise it shouldnt be an issue i wouldnt have thought, but interested to know opinions.

Also how much difference would a 4 inch baffle make? Thinking maybe something like this? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SHORT-4-E...item3a746ff391

Any help appreciated

Cheers Cam
DO IT. They make a huge difference. Put it in the exhaust pipe ahead of the muffler. Got mine here.
http://www.jpcycles.com/search/searc...text=0&Ntk=All

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier

Last edited by JM2001; 05-21-2012 at 06:41 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Just a reminder, Vulcans aint Harleys. They are finely tuned...*choke*... and precision engineered machines...*giggle*... designed to run like sewing machines (sorry, lol, couldnt resist that). Seriously though, Vulcans need more backpressure than Harleys. Id suggest adding an extra foot of straight pipe (baffle in there) and a nice angle cut end (both pipes). Believe it or not, more length will increase backpressure. Pipes too short can fry yer valves. Did it to my Bonneville.
I have straight pipes on mine and seam to have a ton of popping on decel, will the baffles help deminish this some?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 07:09 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdemon718 View Post
I have straight pipes on mine and seam to have a ton of popping on decel, will the baffles help deminish this some?
Don't know. After I marbled mine I never have popping. My engine doesn't pop with the baffles. The low and mid range torque increase is unreal, the bike will still pull 10,000 rpms and the sound is good and mellow.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
If you have the stock header length, then yes, will help. But you also need to be careful not to put TOO big a baffle into too short a run. If yer set on running the shorter pipes, then I'd suggest the shorter baffle, and ferchristsake, at least put some turnouts at the ends and dont leave em square (for looks). For popping, also check the pipe seal at the head/exhaust manifold itself. A leak there will cause all kindsa poppin'.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
If you have the stock header length, then yes, will help. But you also need to be careful not to put TOO big a baffle into too short a run. If yer set on running the shorter pipes, then I'd suggest the shorter baffle, and ferchristsake, at least put some turnouts at the ends and dont leave em square (for looks). For popping, also check the pipe seal at the head/exhaust manifold itself. A leak there will cause all kindsa poppin'.
Thanks Wolfie, I'm going to take some pics and measurements this weekend of what I got, I'm just trying to work out all the little bugs on this bike so I can have an enjoyable summer riding, without having to spend a ton of money that I don't have right now. I see your in southeastern NY, anywhere close to Rockland county?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I have some new gaskets coming.....I'll get straight pipe to add on but not to much hahaha. Getting the longer baffle and will trim to desired sound and don't worry I am going to have some turned out ends as that's the look I prefer and so will my tyre.

The extra pipe will be black. Marbeling sounds interesting but don't really know what I am looking for, any threads with pics on here? Any thoughts on the fuel mixture question I had above?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement