cam chain noise - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

cam chain noise

I am planning on getting the TOC MCCTs next week. In using the screwdriver stethoscope method, it seems as though my right cylinder is worse than the left.
My question is how far away from the tensioner should I still hear the tapping noise?? It is worse at the tensioner, but i hear it in other areas as well.
Is that just the travel of that noise or could there be another issue that may be causing some noise as well?

Pittsburgh Dave
2001 VN750...old ride
2003 VN1600.. new ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittdave View Post
I am planning on getting the TOC MCCTs next week. In using the screwdriver stethoscope method, it seems as though my right cylinder is worse than the left.
My question is how far away from the tensioner should I still hear the tapping noise?? It is worse at the tensioner, but i hear it in other areas as well.
Is that just the travel of that noise or could there be another issue that may be causing some noise as well?
I'm not qualified to answer other than having just done an MCCT conversion.

I'd say that the noise is traveling. It was very difficult for me to discern where the clacking was coming from, but it ALL went away as soon as I tightened down the MCCT. Go for it and see what remains after your conversion

Howto: ACCT to MCCT using Set Screw
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21561

2006 VN750
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 04:13 PM

Garage
imagine a bicycle chain that has a link that won't straighten out...every time it comes around to the pedal gear, it hits the chain guard and makes a noise. as it travels around and goes around the rear gear, it makes a different sound because it has no guard to hit on.....and if the whole chain is "bouncing" then it makes odd noises all along the path.

The sound resonates inside the case, but the clacking you hear on the ACCT is the chain rubbing the chain guide, which the tensioner is resting on.

You won't really be able to pinpoint the sound or where it is coming from, but once you get proper tension on the chain...I guarantee you will notice the difference and remember what it sounded like originally if it ever came back.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

Unfortunately in my case, at least one cam chain is stretched and it still clacks perioically with the MCCTs, but not too badly. Maybe I let it go too long before I went to MCCTs. In any event, it's been like this for 30,000 miles.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 08:53 PM

I've been hearing alot about the ACCT/MCCT mod. what are these parts, and why should it be modified? I ask because I noticed a noise, kind of like described here. Kind of hard to notice, but when revving the engine, as the RPMs go down, I hear a "clacking" noise. On the left side, it's in the front cylinder, on the right side, it's in the back cylinder (or so my untrained ear thinks anyway). I'm VERY new to working on bikes, so I don't even have a clue about most of the parts or what they do lol!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 08:54 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfraser View Post
I've been hearing alot about the ACCT/MCCT mod. what are these parts, and why should it be modified? I ask because I noticed a noise, kind of like described here. Kind of hard to notice, but when revving the engine, as the RPMs go down, I hear a "clacking" noise. On the left side, it's in the front cylinder, on the right side, it's in the back cylinder (or so my untrained ear thinks anyway). I'm VERY new to working on bikes, so I don't even have a clue about most of the parts or what they do lol!
Check out the TOC Manual Cam Chain Tensioners. They're a winner.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 12:21 PM

New-to-me '94 with ~34000
I see folks talking about a "clacking" noise, but the noise I hear is a loud nasty chain-like grinding that doesn't go away after fiddling with the ACCT and pushing it out manually with a key... no change. Will a MCCT reach out farther or is my chain likely damaged beyond use?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:52 PM
Old Fart

Garage
"Chain like grinding" is not good. I wouldn't run the bike until you find out the problem...you jump a tooth, eat a valve and you're going to spend even more money....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement