Speed cut off for cooling fan? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Speed cut off for cooling fan?

I was riding around the park very slowly the other might (5-10mpg) and noticed the temp gauge was right on the to of the normal range, on the line for "Hot" a couple times. If I accelerated up to about 30mph it cooled down right away. Also, if I stopped it seemed to slowly come down. When I got home I left the bike running in my driveway and the fan came on around the 3/4 mark and kept the bike around the 1/2 mark on the gauge. So is there just a middle speed where the fan does not operate but there isn't enough airflow over the radiator? (I could only check the fan by stopped and looking at it but when I did it ran and the bike cooled down).

-Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 03:52 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
Damn Robert, your gas milage sucks!! (LOL) You can tell when your fan is running, like say at a stop light, you will feel hot air blowing on left leg.

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 04:17 PM

The fan turns on and shuts off stricly by temperature sensed by the fan switch. The fan switch will supply a ground to the fan relay if the temp gets to hot, thus turning on the fan. the fan switch is located on the left side of the radiator (bottom).

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeobravo172 View Post
Damn Robert, your gas milage sucks!! (LOL) You can tell when your fan is running, like say at a stop light, you will feel hot air blowing on left leg.
True, but once I've stopped the bike starts cooling down anyway.

-Robert
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixf18s View Post
The fan turns on and shuts off stricly by temperature sensed by the fan switch. The fan switch will supply a ground to the fan relay if the temp gets to hot, thus turning on the fan. the fan switch is located on the left side of the radiator (bottom).
Ok. So, unlike a car there is no speed cut off?

-Robert
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
Ok. So, unlike a car there is no speed cut off?

-Robert
There is no cut-off. The fan will run whether the key is on or not. Sounds like you have a finicky switch, relay, or wiring, or fan.

Incidentally, one argument for lane-splitting is that air-cooled bikes will overheat when sitting in traffic.

Last edited by Kelly2001; 05-07-2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: added fan.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Curious, when riding around in a hot day in stop-n-go type conditions, what temps do you normally see? (what range, how much does it vary, etc).
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
Curious, when riding around in a hot day in stop-n-go type conditions, what temps do you normally see? (what range, how much does it vary, etc).
In my experience, "Normal" range on the 750 is 1/8 to 3/4! On a hot day I usually see 2/3-3/4 or a little more depending on speed, etc. I have had the bike since new and it's always been this way.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 07:50 PM

My '00 has never gone over 1/2 way, even when it's 90+ and I'm stop and go, with the go part about 20mph for 6-8 miles. Like I was this past weekend. Fan kicks in and runs ok and some times runs for 20-30 seconds when I shut her down. But it does take me about 4 or 5 miles most days just to get her in the normal range too. I figure I either have a stuck open thermostat or none at all, but as far as I know this is nornal. No 750' around here to compare it to. Just don't know. Haven't check it and don't plan to unless I really have to.

MCCT Mod
Pickup Mod
12 Volt Receptacle Mod
Memphis Shades Santa Cruz
Homemade Luggage Rack
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs
Harley Sportster Exhausts
Rotating/Flashing Tail Lights
170/80 Michelin Commander II
Saddlemen Highwayman Slant Jumbo Saddlebags
Bought 09/10 12.2k miles - 04/12 33.4k miles
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 09:48 AM

My 93 has only gone over half way once or twice. I noticed that if I'm at either extreme on the rpm gauge, she heats up. If you were only doing 5 to 10 mph in a parking lot, you're rpms were prolly really low but the throttles engaged. I know when I kept my rpms really low, like in stop-n-go traffic, the heat gauge would go up pretty quick. When it opened up into a good stretch of road, I'd keep the rpms in the middle range regardless of what gear I was in. She'd get some air and cool down just as quick. The way I rode was how I balanced and maintained the engine temp, I just took that as part of the technique involved. That's what you gotta do with a helicopter too, I just transferred it. If you practice hover techniques for too long and don't take a trip around the pattern every so often, she'll overheat big time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement