\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
www.underworldlarp.ca

Mystery Oil Leak

Hey folks!

Seems I have an oil drip. Not knowing so much about the engine parts, I took some pics. Now, it appears like oil is dripping from a region very close to the exhaust at the top of the engine. It drips out and lands on this bracket then down onto the lower parts. Seems to be coming from where the exhaust pipe on the left side of the bike starts.

Images are from the right and left side. You cannot really see the drip, but I just wanted to show the region. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction for the problem and solution.

So here the arrows point to where I see oil trailing and the little bracket it is dripping onto.

This is not the best image. Just showing where it is landing with the lower arrow and the top arrow indicating again that bracket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Model A Guy

Oil leak

Hey WeaSel,
A lot of the mysterious oil leaks come from a little hole on the rear of the rear cylinder and the same hole on the front of the front cylinder. These little holes are the exit passages from the deep set spark plugs on the left of the front cylinder and the right of the rear cylinder. They are there to drain any water that might get into the spark plug tube. Each of these spark plug tubes have two o-rings that can go bad. If one does go bad it can let water into your oil or oil into the tube which then drains out the passage. It's an easy fix once you get the replacement o-rings. Try BikeBandit for the o-rings.
Part #'s 92055 31mm & 92055B 27.7mm You need two of each. Might as well do all of them while you are at it. The rear axle nut fits the spark plug tubes to remove them, just unhook the plug wire put nut into recess and use a wrech to unscrew. You don't have to remove spark plug itself unless you want to. This would be the most likely cause, easiest to fix, and cheapest. Any questions, give me a shout.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
www.underworldlarp.ca

check the rings and they look pretty good. I did however recently change my plugs and it was after that I noticed the leak. My tube on that side was really tight, so I took it out, cleaned it and then put it back in snug but not extra tight. Just a little nudge after tightening to keep it in there. Ran it for about 10 minutes and no more drips. I will keep an eye on it, but I think you solved the issue.

I saw the little hole you mentioned and it certainly looks like a culprit. Top photo rightmost arrow. Just below the arrow where the picture does not show. Took the side plate off the bike and sure enough... hole.

Thanks a bunch.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Giggity!

Garage
This is the hole Jeffs talking about. Sorry if this is the same as you posted. I can't see your pics at work! ltms

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
www.underworldlarp.ca

that is exactly the hole I found. Leak is completely taken care of.

You guys are the best.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Barnes View Post
Hey WeaSel,
A lot of the mysterious oil leaks come from a little hole on the rear of the rear cylinder and the same hole on the front of the front cylinder. These little holes are the exit passages from the deep set spark plugs on the left of the front cylinder and the right of the rear cylinder. They are there to drain any water that might get into the spark plug tube. Each of these spark plug tubes have two o-rings that can go bad. If one does go bad it can let water into your oil or oil into the tube which then drains out the passage. It's an easy fix once you get the replacement o-rings. Try BikeBandit for the o-rings.
Part #'s 92055 31mm & 92055B 27.7mm You need two of each. Might as well do all of them while you are at it. The rear axle nut fits the spark plug tubes to remove them, just unhook the plug wire put nut into recess and use a wrech to unscrew. You don't have to remove spark plug itself unless you want to. This would be the most likely cause, easiest to fix, and cheapest. Any questions, give me a shout.
Thank you Jeff, I just changed my plugs last weekend and noticed oil inside the deep plug sockets and was wondering about that, guess I have to add those O-rings to my list of things to repair. Thanks again, Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement