My first Mod - User Fan Override (UFO) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Steve
 
350ernie2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 71
iTrader: (1)
 
My first Mod - User Fan Override (UFO)

Due to my fan not work properly due to a faulty fan switch I made this modicification on my 86 Vulcan.

Basically flick it on to operate the fan when it starts getting hot.

Normally this would happen automatically, but untill my new part comes in, this keeps me on the road. Not my idea, but I did make it. Just a $2 toggle switch connected to the fan lead, the other to ground.

It works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UFO fan bypass.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	4460  

Steve

VN750
KH500
Ducati 350sss
350ernie2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 06:29 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
denny6006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: InezKY pop.600
Posts: 5,236
iTrader: (9)
     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350ernie2 View Post
Due to my fan not work properly due to a faulty fan switch I made this modicification on my 86 Vulcan.

Basically flick it on to operate the fan when it starts getting hot.

Normally this would happen automatically, but untill my new part comes in, this keeps me on the road. Not my idea, but I did make it. Just a $2 toggle switch connected to the fan lead, the other to ground.

It works.
Clint Eastwood said it best
"Adapt, Improvise ,Overcome" good job it keeps your bike on the road and is in no way unsafe,Ride on




If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot



Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
denny6006 is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Steve
 
350ernie2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 71
iTrader: (1)
 
I love this switch. Just turn it on when the traffic gets heavy or sitting at the lights.

Hey Denny, would there be any reason why I could not keep this switch permantly, but also still have it connected to the Fan switch as well ? Ie with a two way wire on the Fan wire,

It would mean some addtgional insurance for me, as the bike runs hot in traffic.

Steve

VN750
KH500
Ducati 350sss
350ernie2 is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 11:09 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 2,483
iTrader: (10)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350ernie2 View Post
I love this switch. Just turn it on when the traffic gets heavy or sitting at the lights.

Hey Denny, would there be any reason why I could not keep this switch permantly, but also still have it connected to the Fan switch as well ? Ie with a two way wire on the Fan wire,

It would mean some addtgional insurance for me, as the bike runs hot in traffic.
If this is working for your purposes, I would not see why you could not keep this setup but I would only ask why you would want to have the manual control of the fan operation over the automatic stock setup. The reason for my question is only for my own personal clarification and understanding. I am just wondering if I may be missing something that could be a real advantage. I would not trust myself to flip the switch on and off when needed. I know when I ride with a group and we come to a stop in traffic (traffic lights, heavy congestion, etc.) I am usually trying to to position myself to talk to someone in the group regarding directions or such and would probably forget to turn the fan on. I am also the one that most often forgets to turn off my directional signals after making a turn. I am all in favor of going with what works for you as an individual but also I want to know if there is an option available that I may be over looking and can help me ride more comfortably and help my ride be more efficient.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
Vulcan2000 is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Steve
 
350ernie2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 71
iTrader: (1)
 
I dont forget to turn off my blinkers as I have an 86. All automatic. That gives me enough time to think about temperatures. My bike runs hot and Australia is generally hot. The UFO switch lets me regulate the temperature by operating the fan before the Automatic sensor turns it on. It was great in traffic today, as it never got hotter than half way. Before (yesterday) I was running into the red, but I will wait and see how it goes when my new fan switch arrives.

Maybe its not needed at all, but I will leave the UFO switch on until I am satisfied that the fan comes on early enough and long enough to cool the bike. It just gives me comfort that I am not going to overheat, as I can turn the fan on as soon as the traffic slows and not wait until the sensor kicks it in.

I did a test with the bike at idle and nice and hot. Temp guauge was just passed the middle. I put the fan on using the UFO switch and the temprature guauge just stabilsed. Itd id not go down when the bike as at idle with the fan on. I turned off the fan and let the bike get hotter until the guauge was 3/4 hot. I then turned on the fan and it just stabilsed the temp, not hotter or cooler. Maybe its just my bike, but I figure the sooner I can have the fan on the quicker the temp stabilses in traffic. Its not needed at hwy speeds as the bike runs at about 1/2 without the fan.

Steve

VN750
KH500
Ducati 350sss
350ernie2 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:53 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
denny6006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: InezKY pop.600
Posts: 5,236
iTrader: (9)
     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350ernie2 View Post
I dont forget to turn off my blinkers as I have an 86. All automatic. That gives me enough time to think about temperatures. My bike runs hot and Australia is generally hot. The UFO switch lets me regulate the temperature by operating the fan before the Automatic sensor turns it on. It was great in traffic today, as it never got hotter than half way. Before (yesterday) I was running into the red, but I will wait and see how it goes when my new fan switch arrives.

Maybe its not needed at all, but I will leave the UFO switch on until I am satisfied that the fan comes on early enough and long enough to cool the bike. It just gives me comfort that I am not going to overheat, as I can turn the fan on as soon as the traffic slows and not wait until the sensor kicks it in.

I did a test with the bike at idle and nice and hot. Temp guauge was just passed the middle. I put the fan on using the UFO switch and the temprature guauge just stabilsed. Itd id not go down when the bike as at idle with the fan on. I turned off the fan and let the bike get hotter until the guauge was 3/4 hot. I then turned on the fan and it just stabilsed the temp, not hotter or cooler. Maybe its just my bike, but I figure the sooner I can have the fan on the quicker the temp stabilses in traffic. Its not needed at hwy speeds as the bike runs at about 1/2 without the fan.
You can leave it in if you want and run it paralleled to the automatic sensor switch,and have it both ways if ,you want to keep it.The fan will function normally even if you forget to flip the switch.

Just run a wire from the side of the switch that you put the factory wire on ,to the terminal on the sensor,or tie into that wire down closer to the radiator and hook it in to the sensor,Beat of both worlds and you can have it work when it feels it needs to or when you think it needs it.It will then be automatic with a manual override switch.




If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot



Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
denny6006 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Steve
 
350ernie2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 71
iTrader: (1)
 
I was reading elsewhere that a lot of the earlier GPZ900's has a manual fan override for precaution. They ran hot as well.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

VN750
KH500
Ducati 350sss
350ernie2 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 114
iTrader: (0)
 
Mine has the fan disconnected from the PO. As I'm still learning to ride I only go short distances so it hasn't been a problem so far. Any time the fan is reconnected it runs non stop. I can hear a buzzing in the junction box so I'm thinking it's a stuck relay. Already tried beating on it (love taps). I thought about wiring it into the low beam headlight power but that would run the fan more than needed. I may just wire in a new relay if I can figure out how.

4/12/12 1st bike ever! 95 VN 750 13k
New plug wires
Iridiums
Coil relay mod
MCCT mod
Marbled
EPA stuff removed
Rear signals shaved
Shinko 170-110 oversized tourmaster tires
Splines lubed
Front signals relocated.
skyboxer is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Sparky!!!
 
slimvulcanrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,695
iTrader: (3)
   
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboxer View Post
Mine has the fan disconnected from the PO. As I'm still learning to ride I only go short distances so it hasn't been a problem so far. Any time the fan is reconnected it runs non stop. I can hear a buzzing in the junction box so I'm thinking it's a stuck relay. Already tried beating on it (love taps). I thought about wiring it into the low beam headlight power but that would run the fan more than needed. I may just wire in a new relay if I can figure out how.
it can be done.



slimvulcanrider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome