Replacing coolant hoses. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Replacing coolant hoses.

So after putting my bike back together, I'm noticing a few leaks here and there. I figured since the bike is an 86, it can't hurt to replace the hoses. Another thing I'm noticing is its running really hot, so I might as well replace the thermostat, and cap while I'm at it. Does anyone know the sizes of the coolant hoses? The ones going to the cylinder heads, radiator to block, radiator to thermostat, and thermostat to filler neck?

I'm going to attempt to bend the coolant hoses myself, and see just how far I get with it. The main hoses leaking at the moment, are the thermostat to radiator, and back cylinder to thermostat. If anyone knows these sizes it'd be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Captive New Yorker....

Send a message via AIM to peterherrm
when I put my engine back in, I had a few leaks in some hoses after running the engine for a while, even though I thought I tightened everything down, but it turned out that the clamps needed to be tightened even further. After that, no more leaks....

Pete Herrmann
1994 Vulcan 750 40K on the clock and counting....

Bought 4/2011 28k Miles,
New Rick's Motorsports R/R
Tim Parrot Stator
Tuxedo Mod
KAW Saddlebag/signal relocation brackets
NGK Iridium Plugs
TOC MCCT's
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

That's what I figured also, but some of the hoses I didn't even touch, yet they're leaking. Overheating is becoming an issue as I live in Florida, and its getting hotter out now. So I can't really have any issues with my cooling system. I might need to alter my coolant mix for the weather, right now I'm running about 50/50. Turns out those o-rings for the 3 screws on the stator cover were junk. Bought brand new ones because everyone says to, one of em so far ripped.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conradzz View Post
That's what I figured also, but some of the hoses I didn't even touch, yet they're leaking. Overheating is becoming an issue as I live in Florida, and its getting hotter out now. So I can't really have any issues with my cooling system. I might need to alter my coolant mix for the weather, right now I'm running about 50/50. Turns out those o-rings for the 3 screws on the stator cover were junk. Bought brand new ones because everyone says to, one of em so far ripped.
The 50/50 coolant mix is good for you year around in Florida. The coolant will give you a higher boiling point than pure water, as well as containing corrosion inhibitors.

If you have ruined/ripped one of the little O-rings sealing the screw heads on the stator cover, then get another, or it WILL leak around that screw.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Went ahead and just coated em in rtv, not spending more money on that stupid orings.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 01:15 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
an o-ring kit at HF is only 10 bucks.. the o-rings for the coolant hoses can be picked up at napa for under a buck each... RTV is not good
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 02:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
The 50/50 coolant mix is good for you year around in Florida. The coolant will give you a higher boiling point than pure water, as well as containing corrosion inhibitors.
Wrong, a little higher water to mix ratio is better down south. Water transfers heat better. Antifreeze acts more of an insulator. Antifreeze does just that, not as much freezing there. Even a low percentage of mix will prevent corrosion. I would say 70water/30antifreeze would be good for you and even down to 80/20 would be max to me anyway~
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Unless there is something wrong with your cooling system, a 50/50 mix of distilled water and ethylene glycol will work fine, unless you are in a really cold climate, then I would use up to 70% ethylene glycol. Use only ethylene glycol, alcohol based coolants like DexCool will not work. They don't even work well in engines supposedly designed for them.

I live in AZ, where it is HOT (115 degrees average in the 7 month summer) and I use the 50/50 mix with no problems. If it still overheats, checked for a bad t-stat, plugged radiator, plugged coolant passages in the engine, or a bad water pump. Also check to see if the coolant fill cap is holding pressure.

It is not uncommon for engines that have has tap water in them to have everything plugged up. That stuff contains minerals and acids, and will start corrosion in an aluminum engine, and once it starts, corrosion just gets worse and worse.

I recommend the stock hoses. Yes they are expensive, but should last forever. Mine are 10 years old, and are still like new. You don't want to use a hose that might not be able to deal with the heat/pressure, or have a kink in it. OEM hoses are preformed to fit right.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 10:21 PM

The standard recommendation is to use a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. This represents a compromise between cooling efficiency and the ability to prevent the mix from freezing during cold weather. After all, the initial purpose of antifreeze is to prevent freezing.

But a 50/50 mix does not give the best cooling. For improved cooling in hot weather, we should use less antifreeze and more water, perhaps going to a 25/75 or a 20/80 mix ratio.

Temperature drops ranging from 10 - 15 F are typically obtained by decreasing the mix from 50/50 down to 25/75 or perhaps 20/80. It is not possible to give precise numbers here because of uncertainty in knowing exactly what the initial mix was, and so forth.

Source

After a bit of net surfing I found that that others are saying lower ratio of anti freeze to water does improve the cooling. Just need the higher ratios for cold freezing weather.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
in Afghanistan, we were using as little antifreeze as possible due to the extreme high temp. but unless you live in death valley, there is no need. 50/50 will be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement