Bike not starting - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Bike not starting

Last summer I replaced the stator and the balance dampers. Everything seems to be bolted on correctly, wires are all connected but the turn signals and the radiator. Bike cranks but that's it. I do get white smoke coming out of the front carb air filter. Emptied the gas tank and the carbs, put fresh gas in and about a half can of sea foam. Also replaced the we plugs and it still isn't turning over. Am I missing something? What are the next steps I need to take to get her running again.

1992 Vulcan 750.
Ear shaved and re-jetted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 10:43 PM

So the bike has been sitting for close to a year I take it. Depending on how bad the carbs are from sitting, just putting seafoam in the tank might not be enough. Gas would have to be flowing through the carbs for the seafoam to work. Maybe there clogged up.
Also have you checked to be sure your getting a good spark from all the plugs?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

I have the carbs off now, I'm thinking of taking a closer look at them this weekend. Is there an easy way to test I'm getting spark? I think I checked earlier this week but it seemed really weak, but I was using a spark plug test.

1992 Vulcan 750.
Ear shaved and re-jetted.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:12 AM

The old fashon way is to remove the plug, hold it against the engine case to ground it turn the engine over and see if the spark plug sparks, should be a nice blue spark.
Have to be carful though, maybe even get someone to help you. You need to insulate yourself. mayby if you can hold the plug against the engine with a wooden dowl. There might even be something you can buy. call your local autoparts store. If youve never been shocked by an engine, it dont feel good.
Should be able to do this with the carbs off, Plus you need to have a good strong battery. Is your battery good? This bike need almost every bit of a good charged battery to start. Also alot of people here swear by the NGK Iridium Spark Plugs. I put them on my bike and so far pleased with the way my bike starts.

Last edited by ifixf18s; 03-24-2012 at 01:14 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:35 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixf18s View Post
The old fashon way is to remove the plug, hold it against the engine case to ground it turn the engine over and see if the spark plug sparks, should be a nice blue spark.
Have to be carful though, maybe even get someone to help you. You need to insulate yourself. mayby if you can hold the plug against the engine with a wooden dowl. There might even be something you can buy. call your local autoparts store. If youve never been shocked by an engine, it dont feel good.
Should be able to do this with the carbs off, Plus you need to have a good strong battery. Is your battery good? This bike need almost every bit of a good charged battery to start. Also alot of people here swear by the NGK Iridium Spark Plugs. I put them on my bike and so far pleased with the way my bike starts.
I am just going to echo his be careful statement, along with the suggestion for Iridiums. My signature has the part numbers.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I have the same problem no start carbs rebuilt and installed yesterday geting fuel in fuel bowl and fire but no run. I have the fuel screw e and a half turns out now what els do I need to get this theng goin. Plugs are new eridium andbattery is strong.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:50 PM

I am having the same problem with mine. I swapped to regular grade gas and it doesn't fire. I can roll start it, but to push the button just runs the battery down. If I move the choke while trying to crank it, it backfires. I am waiting for my new iridium spark plugs to get in in a couple of days, we will see then. I have fooled with the stand switch and everything. I just think I have a fowled out spark plug.
Update: I hooked the tender up last night and let it charge all night, woke up this morning and she fired right up. Still can't wait to get those Iridium's in, that will hopefully eliminate the not starting after it's warmed up issue.

1986 Vulcan 750
30,000 miles and counting
Castrol GTX 10w-40
WIX- Gold oil filter Pt.#1356 @ Napa Auto supply $8.00
Seafoam-2 oz. to every other tank of gas @ Napa-$10
Yuasa M/F battery- YTX14AHL-BS
Lubed Splines- Moly EP Grease, 1lb. tub $3.49-Autozone Pt.#561753
Sprayed U-joint with Liquid Wrench White Lithium Grease- $3.99 Autozone Pt.# 828796
Castrol Hypoy C 80w90 Gear Oil $5.99- Autozone Pt.#991558
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs, $8.99(x4)=$35.96 Autozone Pt.#088394.
Degoated

Last edited by Striker1; 03-26-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement