\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Young but not dumb

Send a message via Skype™ to k-aultz
couple questions

Ok, well i bought my first bike which happens to be a 2001 VN750. I've gone over this forum site several times studying on things i should know about my bike. Lots of good information and helpful tips. One thing i've thought about doing is the "ear shave", looks pretty neat and a little extra power couldnt hurt. I've also thought about putting the V&H Cruizers on my bike as well, im young and i dont think the highway noise that most people dont like is going to bother me much and if it does i could just put the bigger baffles in.

So...anyway to my questions. My first question is, in the ear shave parts it says to use a certain size jets but im not sure if that is good for my elevation and the add on of the V&H pipes. I live in dallas,TX where the elevation is 430ft. Does anyone know what size jets i might need or if someone can get me in the ballpark of where i need to be? I'd prefer not to have to take the carbs off more than once but i know it might be neccessary. Any help would be great.

My next question is I have noticed just recently that my idle is a little weird. Usually it starts right up and runs great but sometimes i'll be sitting there idling and then it starts creeping up to 2-3k rpm's. I'll rev it up and itll go back down and then start the proccess over again, then randomly go away. i thought maybe a vacuum leak but it doesnt happen all the time. I did remove the CA emissions off the bike but that was a couple months ago. I did have trial and error with that but did figure it out. It's not bad gas i dont think because ive gone through a few tanks...any guesses? Junk in the carb's maybe? All help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Old Truck Junkie

The jets and the needle shims can be done without removing the carbs. It is a slow patient process. Some people have used a piece of hose to hold the jets with when installing. Good luck.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Young but not dumb

I have heard that you can do it with the carbs on but i think i need to take them apart and clean them anyway. The person who owned it before me didn't seem to take care of it much.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-aultz View Post
So...anyway to my questions. My first question is, in the ear shave parts it says to use a certain size jets but im not sure if that is good for my elevation and the add on of the V&H pipes. I live in dallas,TX where the elevation is 430ft. Does anyone know what size jets i might need or if someone can get me in the ballpark of where i need to be? I'd prefer not to have to take the carbs off more than once but i know it might be neccessary. Any help would be great.

My next question is I have noticed just recently that my idle is a little weird. Usually it starts right up and runs great but sometimes i'll be sitting there idling and then it starts creeping up to 2-3k rpm's
For that altitude, I used:
2 Keihin PN: 99101-393 Main Jet Size: 142
2 Keihin PN: N424-22 Pilot/Slow Jet Size: 42
You could use 140/40 too

RPM...I suspect bad fuel
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
140-40 0r 142-42 are good combos on jets.. I am running 140-40 for elevations from sea level up to 2,500 feet (denver area)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Young but not dumb

awesome, thanks for the info
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Young but not dumb

Well got it all done, have the new exhaust, ear shave, re-jet, coasters, and it all is running quite well. Also found out why the bike was popping so much, a pilot jet was clogged with some stuff in it and was letting absolutly nothing into the cylinder at idle. It's amazing that it idled so well on just one cylinder, after you reved it up then the main jet took over so then both start working. Never would have known with factory exhaust, but it's all good now

*2001 Vulcan 750*
CA Emissions removed
Ear Shave, Rejet, and coastered
V&H Cruizer exhaust
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
R/R Relocation
Pick up Coil Mod
Small windshield
Saddle bags
New throttle/choke cables
New crome/foam grips
Thinking about painting a new color..