Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Steve

Coolant Bleeder Valve

I read the great thread on changing oil coolant. I did it all from the orginal pocket book manual, but it did not talk about teh bleeder valve. I took the bike for a run and it ran really hot and spewed out coolant from the overflow. Before I changed the coolant this did not happen on the old coolant. So I read the trhread and undid the bleeder valve, but no coolant came out, even afteroverflowing coolant out teh neck. I actually took the whole bleeder valve out but no coolant came out. Is thi normal ?

Hopefully to fix the overheating I ran the bike with the radiator cap off, reved the bike until some coolant went down after some bubbles, until it started to heat up and expand out the neck. I put teh cap on and let the fan come on a few times. The heat range was about teh middle of the range. I assume this is the normal range when its all working fine. I used 33% glyocol. Designed for cars. Am I an the right track ?

Steve

VN750
KH500
Ducati 350sss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 09:20 AM
'03 VN750 "Rosie"

The glycol coolant we use in the states needs to be mixed 50/50 with water, not 33%. My guess is the weak solution you used expanded more than a 50% solution would have and it boiled over. As for the bleeder valve, I don't know why nothing comes out of it. I flushed and filled mine a few months ago and I could easily see coolant coming out. Maybe poke a paper clip into the bleeder hole to unblock it, then flush the whole system according to the thread you found here and try again.

'03 VN750 "Rosie"
Purchased in June 15, 2010
Windshield
Lubed Splines
Lubed and Adjusted Clutch Cable, Throttle Cables.
Relocated Voltage Regulator
Brakes Bled
Luggage Rack
Lazy Rider Bag
Leather Saddle Bags
Legitimate Title!! (finally!) Aug 30, 2010
New AGM Interstate Battery Sept 15, 2012

2008 Hyosung GV250 (sold!)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 09:54 AM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
Could have been a large air bubble in the system. When refilling the system add the coolant slowly, this helps a lot to eleminate air bubbles. Sometimes do not have to use bleeder.

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The bleeder valve is completely worthless. I've changed my coolant several times, and never used it. It is only a few inches from the filler, so it doesn't really do anything. The main things are to use the right coolant mix, and pour it in very slowly, with the engine running. The thermostat needs to be open and the water pump needs to be turning so the coolant can circulate. Fill it very slowly up to the bottom of the fill neck, as the engine starts warming up, the coolant level will start to rise in the filler neck. When that happens, put the cap back on and tighten it. Fill the reservoir about half full. Then go for a ride, come back, and let the engine cool off. Do this a couple of times, and fill the reservoir to the full line. The hot engine will expel coolant into the reservoir, then suck it back in when it cools down.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Steve

Thanks. This is what I have been doing, ie I went for ride today at 100 kms per hour and it was fine, but when I rode around in first and 2nd gear, the temp got hot to about 3/4. When I stopped I could hear the coolant boiling and some came out the overflow again. I was giving it a hard time with clutch extra. Is this normal for it to get so hot , in stop start traffic ? If so what can I do ? I am only running 33% glycol . Do I have a blockage ? I did leave the cap off, and let the air bubble out the top, even rocked it side to side.

Steve

VN750
KH500
Ducati 350sss
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Hopefully to fix the overheating I ran the bike with the radiator cap off, reved the bike until some coolant went down after some bubbles, until it started to heat up and expand out the neck. I put teh cap on and let the fan come on a few times. The heat range was about teh middle of the range. I assume this is the normal range when its all working fine
In theory, youve now "bled" the system...granted a PITA, but works. Would be nice if someone made a radiator cap that size with one of those air bleeding levers...hmmmm....million dollar patent idea here....
This post is copywrited by Wolfworks Enterprises, Inc.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Steve

Is coolant coming out the overflow and at 3/4 temp mark normal in heavy traffic. ? I can here the coolant bubbling in the overflow tank. Is that normal ?

Steve

VN750
KH500
Ducati 350sss
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 03:18 PM

Never had a bike that hot if it is boiling maybe the themostat isnt opening and not allowing the hot water to circulate
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Steve

i will pressure test the cap first. If its ok, I will replace the thromostat.

Steve

VN750
KH500
Ducati 350sss
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 07:39 AM

The cap will just blow open if the bike is to hot even if it is good thats what is designed to do, if you say the water is boiling then it will open to release the pressure but it shouldn't be that hot in the first place, the only things I have come accross is to cause this is a stuck thermostat, blown head gasket, air blockage, or gunge blocking the waterways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement