Marbeling? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Marbeling?

Okay so what have seemed to have read is take off the hose from were it goes into the cylinder. stick a mable in there and then put the hose with marble in it back where it was originally and open the air fuel mixure screw 1/4 to 1/2 a turn.

Sorry this just sounds way to easy and simple, so please correct me if i have read wrong

2006 Vulcan 750
Bone stock for now

future plans:
Ape Hangers
exhaust
lower
slim down all the lights
Smaller seat

Let me know if you have anything i might need

GO GATORS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 06:15 PM

Garage
it really is that simple....2 marbles used to plug up the hoses on each reed valve (one on each cylinder). The hose you are plugging up with the "marble" is attached to the reed valve, which sends fresh air into the exhaust and ignites un-spent fuel fumes in the exhaust. This is all part of the air injection system designed to help reduce emissions. This should eliminate the "popping" noise (igniting fuel in the exhaust that was not fully burnt by introducing oxygen and causing little explosions in your exhaust system) on deceleration. The turning of the idle air/fuel mixture screws is only really needed if you are running too lean. bottom the screws out and turn them back OUT about 2 to 2.5 turns. I would check your plugs first before messing with the screws. Those screws only really effect idle RPM.s (under 2K I think)although others swear it helps with popping on decel.

use the search and read up on "marble" and "coaster" procedures. there are plenty of threads on this subject.
If you "coaster" the bike, you are removing the entire air injection system which includes hoses and reed valves (which are plugged up by a "coaster" or plate) along with the valve located under the gas tank just in front of the battery box, and the vacuum line that controls it. The unused vacuum port on the right side carb would also need to be plugged.

Both procedures accomplish the same thing....marbling keeps the original "look" while coastering removes the entire system.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Awesome so i plug in on the hose end towards the cylinder or towards the airbox?

2006 Vulcan 750
Bone stock for now

future plans:
Ape Hangers
exhaust
lower
slim down all the lights
Smaller seat

GO GATORS!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 06:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmdog58 View Post
Awesome so i plug in on the hose end towards the cylinder or towards the airbox?
closest to the cylinder. The left side has a bend right off the reed valve, so I used a bit of WD-40 as lube and a wooden dowel and to push that marble far enough in to get the hose back on all the way.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

does it last a good amount of time? any specific size marble?

2006 Vulcan 750
Bone stock for now

future plans:
Ape Hangers
exhaust
lower
slim down all the lights
Smaller seat

GO GATORS!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 06:58 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
Hey Helm, how did your carb removal and cleaning go?

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 07:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmdog58 View Post
does it last a good amount of time? any specific size marble?
I found a marble that fit really snug (from my kids glass marble collection) and used it temporarily. As long as it fits snug blocks off the hose it should be fine.
It should last forever as long as the marble stays put and in one piece, but I only did it to see if it would get rid of the popping on deceleration. once I was satisfied, I made my own coasters and removed the complete air injection system.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 08:54 AM

My bike doesn't have all the emissions stuff on it but I still get a little popping and burbling on deceleration is this normal
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 10:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagman View Post
My bike doesn't have all the emissions stuff on it but I still get a little popping and burbling on deceleration is this normal
I have the 06 model, and after removing the air injection system, I still get a little gurgling and popping on deceleration as well. It has improved a LOT, but I still experience it. It is mostly due to the way the carbs are set up, which is very lean from the factory. Turning the idle air/fuel mixture screws might help a bit.

As long as you are not getting backfire from the system, I wouldn't worry about it much. Just make sure you have a good seal on the exhaust system and the carb boots are in good shape (no cracks or leaks). If the plugs look OK (grey color...not white) then you should be fine.

I am still experimenting to fine tune it, but it is tolerable for me. I may eventually re-jet the cards to make it a tad more "rich", but not gonna tear apart the carbs until it is needed.

There are lots of threads and opinions on what is correct, but it really does come down to what you want out of your bike.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagman View Post
Yes, it's normal. And it's not hurting anything. There are some folks, like me that actually like the sound. My Austin Healy 3000 did it too....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement