Oil Change - Question / Confusion - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Oil Change - Question / Confusion

ok - probably a stupid question but here goes.

This was my first time changing the oil myself on this bike.

I drained it (while on the side stand). Changed the filter. Put the bike on it's center stand and poured in 4 quarts and started it up and let it run for several minutes.

After shutting off the engine and waiting several minutes I checked oil site glass and the oil level shows to be above the High mark (maybe even above the glass itself).

This confused me because it's my understanding I should put 4.0 Liters (which equals 4 quarts 6 - 7 ounces) if changing the filter. And now - with only 4 quarts in it shows to be overfull (I guess).

Just looking for some thoughts

Thanks

Jeff

Old Bike: 2006 VN750 - Sold

Current Bike: 2007 Yamaha V-Star 1300 Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 03:12 PM

My bike didn't take 4 litres either I think it was 3.6 litre that mine took
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Ok thx

Now I wonder if it's too full. But when I had it "professionally" changed it always showed above the mark too

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
if its way above the mark drain some out. if you can still see a bubble in the sight glass while on the centerstand you should be ok

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 04:23 PM

What Drain plug did you use when you changed your oil? There is one on the bottom of the engine case and also there is the one on the side of the case a bit fwd of the side stand. This is the one I use while Putting the bike on the center stand.
There is a filter screen inside that may need to be cleaned, I would say dont worry about this time. To let you know there is the screen a washer and a spring inside there. You would just need to note how they came out so you can put them back in properly. If there where any internal engine parts breaking down with larger pieces they would be caught in the screen letting you know you may have a problem.
If your worried about to much oil you can use the side plug and drain some out. You dont have to remove this plug all the way due to the way it is designed. 1 or 2 turns and oil should start coming out.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

With a new filter I can only get about 3 1/2 quarts in the engine. As Wib said, you should have 1/2 bubble showing on the top of the sight glass. Drain some oil off.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I used the side drain. I wasn't even sure I there was a bottom drain. I took the filter screen out as well.

I will drain a little oil out I guess.

Thanks for the input

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I always put 4 qts. in mine. 4 qts. puts it just barely above the line. If you tilt the bike to the right just a few degrees, you will see the bubble. 4 qts. has never caused me any problems. My '85 Goldwing is the same way. It calls for just under 4 qts. But according to information I got on five different GW forums, it is common practice to put 4 qts. in.

I drain mine on the centerstand, with a 2x4 under the right side of the stand to tilt the bike a little to the left. I found the sidestand gets in the way of whatever you are draining the oil into. Also there is a screen, spring, and washer behind the drain that needs to be removed and cleaned. The screen is where the first evidence of internal problems usually shows up. There is an 0-ring on the drain plug you can replace if you notice any oil seeping out from around it. Be very careful not to overtighten the drain plug.

There is a drain plug on the bottom of the engine, but nobody seems to know why it is there, since the manual says to use the one on the side. I've had the bottom one out, and it didn't hurt anything, but I don't recommend using it as a drain plug. Unlike the one on the side, it is a steel plug, screwed into the aluminum cases, and if you overtighten it, it is likely to strip the threads in the case.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jerry

When you say "barely above the line" I assume you are referring to the "H" mark?

I like the idea of tilting the bike while on the center stand. It was a bit annoying getting to the drain plug while on the side stand. Not to mention - my old oil pan wouldn't fit under the bike either.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Old Fart

Garage
If you do what Jerry says and tilt the bike to the left slightly and can see a bubble in the sight glass , your good. DO NOT drain any oil out.... 4 quarts are fine.

Many fill the bike so the levels at the very top of the site glass with just the smallest bit of an air bubble at the top. This has been the reccomended proceedure for years now. A tiny bit more is ALOT better than a tiny bit less. It's been shown that lower oil levels effect the life of the stator.

Make sure the oil light goes out after you do an oil change. Partially filling the new filter before installing it seems to help here.

Just so you don't think you are crazy...yes the case says to fill with 4 liters of oil. A tech from Kawasaki told us not to go by that, but to fill to the very top of the site glass instead.....and so far that seems to be the way to go.

I would think a bone dry new motor could take 4 liters of oil... But I've not rebuilt one yet and measured...

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement