Exhaust Modification - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust Modification

I have a 1986 Vulcan 750, have just stripped, cleaned and balanced the carbs aswell as some other bits.
I was thinking of V&H exhaust but they'er expensive so I want to drill out my existing exhausts.
How do I go about this? and would I have to have the carbs re-adjusted and re-balanced?.

I am not changing anything pre-carburetta

Thanks

Chris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:48 PM
Vulcan Drifter

I did this and like it. I only drilled 4 holes in each "plate" to start with and like it that way, I may drill more as I get used to it.

www .vn750. com/forum/showthread.php?t=7736&page=2

I figure if I don't get enough noise this way I can still remove the entire baffle to see what I like.

I recommend looking through/bookmarking the verses. There is a lot of information listed here, unfortunately not much on this topic.

www .vn750. com/forum/verses.php

Edit: Not allowed to post links (post count), so just remove the spaces when you paste.

Last edited by DevinWolfe; 10-31-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Edit - links
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 09:34 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

I drilled some holes around mine too. Just through the first plate and that was enough for me. Alternatively you may be interested in sportster mufflers that will fit on where our stock mufflers mount to the goat' belly. Member 'the Deuce' is selling a pair at a reasonable price here: https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20090

You could probably take the baffles out pretty easily with those and just use the goat's belly to muffle the noise a little and give you a beefy sound. I was going to try it but my car decided to swipe 1500$ outta my account this past week. Guess it got jealous of the bike. Good luck tho.

Dave

Mods:
Jetted, shaved & coastered
Home made under-tank single filter
Converted ACCT's to manual (thanks wib714)
Dual vac lines on petcock (my cure for ticking)
LED tail/plate lights
Relocated helmet lock to license plate

Added stuff:
Customized hard bags w/ lights
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Home made 'Vita-Volt' meter
Foot rests on engine guard
Tunes

Hmm....she was on the back when we left.... ??

Last edited by DavesVulster; 10-31-2011 at 09:46 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 10:57 PM
gun slinger

Garage
lop the belly out period

2010' voyager

2005 1600 nomad sold

1987 kawasaki vulcan 750 SOLD

1985 kawasaki vulcan 700 parts bike maybe
lots of hand guns
3 cagers doors kicked in
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I of course recommend leaving the exhaust completely stock, as well as the intake system. I DID install a brand new V&H system, loved it around town, but I do most of my riding on the freeways, and they sounded HORRIBLE at 5500 rpm. Even earplugs couldn't stop that awful noise. So I sold them at quite a loss, and reinstalled the stock system, with all new gaskets. The gaskets, including the 4 graphite seals on the "goats belly" cost a good part of what I got for the V&H pipes, and I was STILL happy. An expensive lesson learned.

That was also the first time I have installed an aftermarket exhaust on a bike, and I've had about 40 bikes over the past 35 years.

If you do decide to destroy the stock exhaust, you will probably need to rejet. I did with my V&H pipes, went up one size on both the pilot and main jets.

Not to long after the V&H pipe fiasco, and still wanting that sound, I bought a '97 Harley Road King. It runs at half the Vulcans rpms on the highway, and still makes that nice sound. There is some vibration, but IMO it is not nearly as bad as everybody says. And mine is an unbalanced single cam EVO. It is rubber mounted.

If you want a real Harley sound, get a real Harley. You will not get it from a Vulcan 750. Sound is only a small part of why I wanted the Harley, I also liked the looks, the old tech design that almost anybody can work on, parts availability, and most of all, the fact that the engine and transmission can be easily and cheaply rebuilt forever. BTW, I did NOT join the Harley scene, the one thing about riding a Harley I hate.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Cheers guys, I appreciate the help on this!

Its not easy to gets parts for these here in the UK. Thats why I want to be sure before I go tinkering with it!

Ride Safe!
Chris.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 05:22 PM

I put the hardkore quiet baffles in my vance and hines pipes and what a difference. Has that nice sound, but not as loud and raspy. Freeway running is perfect now. Well worth the investment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement