Oil leak, where do I start? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Oil leak, where do I start?

Well guys, I was coming up a mountain with a load of gear on the bike, and trying not to get run over by the cars, as well as trying to get somewhere before dark, and the bike sprang a huge oil leak.

I abandoned the bike last night, but will be towing it a couple of miles to work on it in a few hours. What I do know now:

Bike ran fine, idled fine, did not smoke.
Oil leak is most likely from the front cylinder. The carbs were covered with oil, as well as some of the front of the cylinder. The leak was rapid, loosing all oil in less than 8 miles. Leak seemed minor enough at one point, so I decided to try to take it easy to get it about 9 miles away. It obviously failed to do that, and the leak may have gotten worse. Hope not, but you never know.

I'm hoping for any suggestions as to where the leak most likely is, and any other pointers. Right now, oil is everywhere.

Oh, it only leaks when running, which is partly why I thought the leak was smaller, as when I noticed it, the bike was off, and the there was just a little oil dripping, probably some of the oil that had already leaked out.

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:44 AM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Check the oil lines, small chrome tubes between the cylenders. One may have come loose.
Just a guess

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Well, I returned to the sight, and I did notice a massive oil trail behind the bike. It must have gone from a slow leak, to a flood. I'm praying that its just an oil line, and thanks for the suggestion. I'll update this as I go along.

Ben

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Once Banned

Jeezus! You are nothing but trouble! Your name fits well.

I'm pulling for you. I'm sure by now you've found it. Where are you, by the way?

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, my bike hates me. Ok, I just got it towed up the hill to my parent's house, about 6 miles from the "crash site." The first tow company dispatcher told the assistance people they could handle me when they actually can't, so I had to wait about 4 hours to find that out, and have a different company dispatched. There seem to be two types of tow truck drivers: the silent ones, and the ones who bitch about everything. I had the later, and while he didn't blow out my fork seals like the last one, I had to suggest that he winch the bike off the shoulder where it was sorta sliding down the hill. If I hadn't he might have given up I think.

More information. The entire front of the bike is coverd in oil, even some on the radiator cover. I'm guessing the radiator fan was sucking in oil and spraying it all over. The oil slick which seems to be where the oil went from a leak to a river goes about one mile. I was going about 30-40 mph so it gives you an idea how long it took to dump all of the oil.

My plan, and please suggest a better one, is to clean up the oil as best as I can, fill it with oil, and start it to see where it comes out. Right now, it could be anywhere.

Ben
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 03:08 PM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
WOW!!! now that is a leak. havent heard or anything that bad since my friend ripped his oil pan on his car. i do not suggest putting oil in and running. reason is if it is a line, then you will be running an engine without oil fast.
1st check where the oil is the heaviest. I.E. front, back, sides of cly. look for signs of running. theses will help pin point the side and height of the leak. To me it sounds like you may have busted a line somewhere. also check to make sure you didnt blow a piston or a rod (you should have heard that). as far as cleaning it... i'd suggest pulling the engine, and using a mild soap with a brush... Good luck.

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 04:03 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
It may also be from the oil filter, you could have thrown a rock into it and putting a hole in the case. If it is on the radiator that is possable, the wind and fan would push it down the bike.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccspinner
It may also be from the oil filter, you could have thrown a rock into it and putting a hole in the case. If it is on the radiator that is possable, the wind and fan would push it down the bike.
ohh yeah that too, i've done that before. luckly it was only a small leak. since then i've started coating it in red rtv to absorb the impact of a rock, and to make the leak more noticable since the filter is black. Once its dry, it is alot easier to screw on. also noticed it keeps the paint from peeling and rust forming as since this is my daily and i ride in the rain.

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Once Banned

IF necessary, put a bunch of oil back in it and start it and rev it and see where it's coming from. Like Hizzo said, this isn't recommended.

But, by now you probably know where it's coming from...

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I found the problem. The external oil line broke, just behind the front cylinder, towards the top.

Do I have to pull the engine, or can I just remove the carbs and swap the oil line? Either way, it will suck, but I hope it will suck less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement