Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Obversation, and Question

I have been reading the manual on setting the cams in our engines.
There is a mark on the crank sprocket and case to set the crank at TDC.
You are supposed to measure a set number of links to line everything up at the intermediate sprocket, then measure set number of links to set the cams.
There are marks on the cams you set at the head.
Once the crank is at TDC, all you have to do is line up the cams at the head.
Why go through all of the trouble to count links on the chains when the marks are already there at both the crank and head?
There shouldn't be a balance issue with the chains.
As long as the marks are all lined up top and bottom nothing should be out of alignment.
Am I overlooking something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 07:06 AM
Ndr

I think it has something to do with keeping the proper chain tension between the gears. If there were too much slack (one link or more too much between the two gears) when the ACCT/MCCT applied tension to the cam chain, one of the cams would likely spin a bit to get to the chain to the proper tension therefore throwing off your timing.

That's just my .01 cents worth. I could be completely off here. I am by no means an expert

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)

Last edited by Ndr; 10-26-2011 at 09:50 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I haven't actually done this, so I don't have an answer. But it could be just like the valve adjustment procedure for most bikes as it is described in the manual. You are supposed to line up a mark o the flywheel with a mark on the flywheel cover. That is not actually necessary, all you have to do, once you have the valve cover off, is just turn the engine over until the valve you want to check/adjust is closed. You don't need to get down there on the floor with a flashlight and a magnifying glass trying to even find those marks. But these manuals are written for amateurs, who might not know when a valve is closed. This could be the same thing. Or, there may be a critical reason for it. I'll check the manual again.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndr View Post
I think it has something to do with keeping the proper chain tension between the gears. If there were too much slack (one link or more too much between the two gears) when the ACCT/MCCT applied tension to the cam chain, one of the cams would likely spin a bit to get to the chain to the proper tension therefore throwing off your timing.

That's just my .01 cents worth. I could be completely off here. I am by no means an expert
that is exactly the right answer,and I will add when rotating the engine manually ,to check that the timing is still spot on ,turn the engine in the direction the manual says if you encounter any abnormal resistance,stop at once, as the valves are easily bent,also make sure the balance shafts are timed correctly or it will shake like crazy.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I know that the vibration damper gears are set a certain way to prevent vibration.
You have a point about an amateur mechanic trying to re-time one of these beasts.
I thought it odd about lining the chains and counter sprocket up. I always double check the cam and chain timing via marks on the crank and cams themselves.
I pre tension the chains on the opposite side of the tensioner so as to make sure the marks are all lined up before I set it.
I like the older style of single cams and 2 valves per cylinder. A LOT easier to work on.
I also like manual adjust rocker arms. Set them once a year and forget them.
No HLA's to worry about. They are nice on these engines cause they are a real PITA to remove to adjust the valves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement