Spark Plug Wires... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Spark Plug Wires...

Hey All- I have been reading off and on all day about various subjects but this one still stumps me a little. I read in the verses regarding making your own spark plug wires? I've read it over and over and I believe I get the general idea but I am concerned on getting the right 7mm wire. Has anyone done this recently and could give me a little more direction on where to buy and how they got together?

Thank You All

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 11:04 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDeInSin View Post
Hey All- I have been reading off and on all day about various subjects but this one still stumps me a little. I read in the verses regarding making your own spark plug wires? I've read it over and over and I believe I get the general idea but I am concerned on getting the right 7mm wire. Has anyone done this recently and could give me a little more direction on where to buy and how they got together?

Thank You All

Jay
Simple as you read. I purchased 7 mm "Copper" wire (72") and new NGK Caps online from Dennis Kirk, performed as instructed from this forum w/o any hiccups. You only use 60" of the wire. If you cut the wire too long, you allow the wire to rest (and melt) on the hot engine. Just match the length of your old wires.
good luck

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

William-

Thanks. May I ask where you purchased the wire from? I'm guessing Dennis Kirk is who everyone gets parts from on this forum? Thanks again.

Will this wire do?

http://store02.prostores.com/servlet...e-Spark/Detail

Is all 7mm wire the same or is their a name brand I should lean towards?

Thanks

Jay

Last edited by MaDeInSin; 10-20-2011 at 01:39 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 03:45 AM
Banned

Any 7MM wire will work, try and go with a name brand so you won't have any problems in the future with them leaking spark.
Some kits for Fords are a little more heavy duty, and there are kits that have silicone for the outer jacket that will hold up to a little more heat.
There are racing wires out there that have steel wires through the center to deliver a hotter spark without taking a lot of resistance to fire them, but I'm not sure if they would work with the ignition systems as they aren't shielded.
I have Accel 8MM wires on mine, but it took a little bit of work to make them work with the coils. I basically got them cause they are yellow, and they will go with my paint theme. But they are good plug wires.

Last edited by RakerBill; 10-20-2011 at 03:45 AM. Reason: spell check
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 03:48 AM
Banned

Those should work on your bike.
The plug caps are threaded, and you need to screw them onto the ends of the plug wires.
They just push onto the ends of the coils, and there are caps that hold them in place.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Giggity!

Garage
I used these from Jeggs You can use the exsisting ends to the plugs or get some ngk caps for a more natural fit. 8mm does take some skinning of the shieth covering it but your only trimming down where the wire goes into the coil. I don't think I had to shave the cap end. For $30 you get your set & can sell the other to some one else. That's what I did. Several thousand miles ago.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 06:12 PM

Mine...

Quote:
Some kits for Fords are a little more heavy duty
Mine are 4 cyl Vega plugs I believe. And blue, to match my trim.

I use automotive HiPerf on mine (off the Vega). Ones I got for free were used, but still in better shape than my original 85's (got em local hot rod shop). If you go to any speed shop, you can buy raw wire fairly cheap. Im doin that soon as can afford.
Key is to have the plug connectors good. On my 2 deep ones (especially important), I use the NGK even though it has that resistor thing in it...tried straight automotive, and just bounced around too much. My other 2 cyls have reg auto caps with the screw-on piece installed. Works great, except for my one NGK deep, which I needed to replace the internal "lock" wire (a thin paper clip works).
I'd really like to change all over to 8mm, but coils wont accept. I wonder if that fuse looking resistor/supressor in stock NGK can be replaced with a piece of bolt...who cares about radio interfereance ?

Last edited by Wolfie; 10-22-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement