Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Ndr

Yet another oil question.

was picking up supplies for the bike today. Included in the mix was oil.

per some advise I found through searches and on the Verses, I went for the 15W-40

Shell Rotella T Triple Protection. The lady at the Wally World checkout gave me a strange look when I mentioned it was for my bike. Said that It is typically used for Diesel engines.

Did I get the wrong stuff? There is nothing noted on the bottle for Energy savers or mentions of detergants. Seems to me like it should be good. Also, a quick google search found a Wiki site that has a small blurb about it being commonly used in bikes?

I think I'm pretty safe here, BUT can anyone throw in on this one?

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Oil is oil, and what you got will work fine. The lower end of a diesel engine is the same as a gasoline engine, just built a lot better. The reason I don't use Rotella, which I could actually get free at work, at least enough for the bikes, is it is not the weight I prefer. I live in Phoenix, AZ, and it gets HOT here, I mean 120 degrees hot. So I will only use 20w50. I mostly use Castrol GTX.

In your case however, if there is any doubt about how clean the engine is or isn't inside, I would use Walmart SuperTech oil, and change it about every 500 miles for the first couple thousand, to clean the engine out. I did this with my '85 Goldwing that someone "gave" me, and the oil was filthy, sort of like black paint. It also seemed thin. After 4 changes at 500 miles, the oil is gradually starting to stay clean longer and longer. I have already spent over $1000 and about 200 hours labor on this "free" bike getting it going and fixing it up, and am now beginning to believe it may be worth it. My first 500 mile trip it felt like a new bike, and ran like one too. I believe the engine is solid, and anything else can be fixed. I figure it has over 100,000 miles left in it, not bad for $1000, considering the sales tax on a new one here is about $2500.

I may always change the oil in this bike every 1000 miles, or close to it. It currently has 93,000 on it. I would rather have an engine full of clean cheap oil than expensive dirty oil any day, and ALL oil sold for cars meets the manufacturers specifications. Maybe not for 20,000 miles, but well past 1,000 miles

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

What you got is fine; a lot of us run that. I use the 5w-40, it's called Rotella T6 now. Diesel oil has more detergents, which is good. As long as it isn't energy conserving oil, it will work as will about anything else at the proper weight.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Ndr

Thanks guys!
I think I'll go that route with the frequent oil changes for awhile, or at least see how the first one goes and decide from there. As far as what I bout today, at $13 for the gallon jug, I would consider that cheap, (compared to the oil I've been putting in the car) so I'm not too worried about dumping it soon.

I happened to get my Honda Rebel in the same way. My buddy upped to a Shadow and gave me the Rebel. Only cost me the title transfer.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndr View Post
Thanks guys!
I think I'll go that route with the frequent oil changes for awhile, or at least see how the first one goes and decide from there. As far as what I bout today, at $13 for the gallon jug, I would consider that cheap, (compared to the oil I've been putting in the car) so I'm not too worried about dumping it soon.

I happened to get my Honda Rebel in the same way. My buddy upped to a Shadow and gave me the Rebel. Only cost me the title transfer.
I need a buddy like that.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 01:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndr View Post
I went for the 15W-40

Shell Rotella T Triple Protection. The lady at the Wally World checkout gave me a strange look when I mentioned it was for my bike. Said that It is typically used for Diesel engines.
Is it just me or is anyone else surprised that the lady at Wally World even knew that!

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Ndr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark88 View Post
Is it just me or is anyone else surprised that the lady at Wally World even knew that!

Yeah, I was a bit surprised myself, though not completely. A female friend of mine is a Volkswagen Mech. (which is awesome for when I have a problem with my car I can't figure out)
I think though that the bigger surprise is that it was a Walmart employee that new that more so then any other reason.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Not here down in South Alabama. Lots of our "Young Ladies" grew up around tractors.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Was she wearing a John Deere hat?

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Many of our truck driving customers get thier make up oil at wally world. So I am guessing that is why that lady knew about it.

02 honda sabre 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement