some oil questions - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

some oil questions

I purchased a 2005 vulcan 750a, in march or feb. Keep in mind this is my first bike.

The guy that sold it to me showed me the coolant reservoir and said it was the oil, and I knew no better. When the engine started to rattle a little **lifters knocking I think** I looked down at the coolant reservoir and saw that things were good and left it.

After all these months a muddy who knows a lot about bikes came over and checked the oil, and it was totally dry, like couldn't see any anywhere inside the fill hole. I put a quart in it, then a second, then came on here and found out about the dang window that shows the oil level inside, and the window showed nothing, just looks black and empty, added another quart, then a second, for 4 quarts that have been put in it, and the window still shows nothing.

The engine runs 200% better than it was, but there is still the lifter rattle and a whirring sound when I get to about 3k or 4k rpms, no idea what is going on, anyone have any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Old Fart

Garage
If the bike was run without oil in it....your rattle noise could be anything really ....running oil as a coolant not so good either....

You likely burned the little oil in the bike and it coated the oil window making it impossible to see the level. I think there's a thread on how to replace the window somewhere.....

I'd drain the oil you just put in and see what it looks like. I'd then fill it with a gallon of Rottella synthetic, and the flush the cooling system.

After this and adding the correct 50/50 mix of coolant/distilled water... I'd then at that point address the causes of the noise....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 10-12-2011 at 07:03 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Old Truck Junkie

KM he said that he left the coolant alone cause it looked full. He added oil to it later at the propper place when his buddy showed him where the oil fill is.

02 honda sabre 1100

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

X2 on draining the oil. Either the window is not clear anymore, or it was already full when you started adding oil. Normally, the window looks dark when it is covered with oil and clearish otherwise. I doubt 2 gallons would even fit in the crankcase, though- and you would cetainly be blowing oil out of the breather. Look for metal particles in the oil, and you could also cut the filter open and look at the filter element.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
KM he said that he left the coolant alone cause it looked full. He added oil to it later at the propper place when his buddy showed him where the oil fill is.
Yes... But the previous owner thought the oil went into the coolant tank... So lord knows what he did. I'd flush out both systems to be sure here.

No oil is not a good thing in a motor. If he's lucky, no serious damage was done....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Yea, that went past me.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

all the above information is good advice, but if you have not already, you need to invest in either a Clymer's or a service manual. Whenever i buy a vehicle or bike, one of my first purchases for it is a service maual. it is always helpful to have a quick reference for capacities of the machine, types of fluids, basic preventitive mait stuff, as well as recommended service intervals.

i agree that you should flush both systems, and see what junk (if any) is in the oil/filter

Doc
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly2001 View Post
X2 on draining the oil. Either the window is not clear anymore, or it was already full when you started adding oil. Normally, the window looks dark when it is covered with oil and clearish otherwise. I doubt 2 gallons would even fit in the crankcase, though- and you would cetainly be blowing oil out of the breather. Look for metal particles in the oil, and you could also cut the filter open and look at the filter element.
I am worried that this might be an issue, however I am also thinking that perhaps it still just isn't full. If I am remembering my measurements sorrectly, isn't 4 quarts still a bit short of the 4 liters that my engine says it takes on the side? My friend did check the coolant and it seems that the previous owner did not mess things up by putting oil in the cooling system or anything like that.

I only have another month maybe of driving season left here in oklahoma, so I am putting off a lot of maint. till I take it out of the garage after the winter, I will be all geared up and looking forward to changing oil, checking lubes and tires, and all those things I am going to learn when I read the manual I have to order soon.

The lifters are still chattering really badly, so I think it might need to be topped off with whatever the difference is between 4 quarts and 4 liters. However I did run into something else I wanted to ask about, now that the oil is up to a good level it is a lot harder to change gears, where it was pretty easy, now it takes some toe strength to change the gears, it didn't seem to want to go into neutral earlier lol, thought I would ask if anyone had any ideas. Doesn't the oil go into the tranny in some way, some "wet-clutch" or something?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Old Truck Junkie

You may want to run the engine to warm it up and drain the oil and replace it with fresh oil. 4 qts. of oil is a bit over the full mark by the sight glass. Be sure to change the oil filter.

Check the automatic cam chain tensioners. Check the vulcan veses for info on this.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
You may want to run the engine to warm it up and drain the oil and replace it with fresh oil. 4 qts. of oil is a bit over the full mark by the sight glass. Be sure to change the oil filter.

Check the automatic cam chain tensioners. Check the vulcan veses for info on this.
Wouldn't 4 quarts not even be enough to show up if the engine was totally dry? I am not arguing, just asking because I am not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement