Which Oil? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Which Oil?

I bought my bike (1995 model) a couple of weeks ago and I am ready to change the oil. Here’s my question. The previously owner always used “motorcycle oil” and said that I should continue with the same oil. But after reading the Vulcan Verses it seems like an oil such as Shell 15W-40 "Rotella T" works fine with the VN750. I’d rather use the Shell 15W-40 "Rotella T" because it is easily bought at the local Walmart. Who is right?

09/29/2011
19,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashley View Post
I bought my bike (1995 model) a couple of weeks ago and I am ready to change the oil. Here’s my question. The previously owner always used “motorcycle oil” and said that I should continue with the same oil. But after reading the Vulcan Verses it seems like an oil such as Shell 15W-40 "Rotella T" works fine with the VN750. I’d rather use the Shell 15W-40 "Rotella T" because it is easily bought at the local Walmart. Who is right?
Let the arguements begin. I agree with your friend. I used Shell Rotella T, Shell Rotella T-6 synthetic and was not happy. Went back to Valvoline 20-50 motorcycle oil and have a better running and shifting bike.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 08:51 AM

I currently have Rotella in mine with no complaints or problems.

You might want to do a search on this, it's been discussed extensively many times (and no doubt will be again). Let the redundent posts continue!

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 09:23 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Shell Rotella T-6 synthetic with a Bosch 3323 filter. Smoother shifting and less 'coffee grinder' than the dealer oil change.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Old Fart

Garage
You should use the most expensive motorcycle specific oil you can find.

Because :

#1. it likely is really good.

And

#2. because it costs me nothing.... Its your money.

I however been using Rottella Dino oil for the last 10 years and think it's the bomb.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 10:09 AM

No matter what oil you pick, you will always be wrong!

But I'll X2 the Bosch 3323, and I haven't had any problems running Rotella T. Decided to try it when I had a gallon sitting in the trunk of my car. A lot of the diesel guys in the Mercedes Diesel forum won't run any other dino oil besides Rotella, myself included. Of course, we're not talking diesels here, but many find it is a good oil.

If it ain't broke... well I'm sure I can find something that is
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

Oh, here we go again. Here's my thesis:

I use Rotella T6 (5W-40), mostly becuase I use it in all my trucks, so it is convenient to have one type of oil. Oils have varying amounts of reserve alkalinity, known as TBN. Either Rotella or Rotella T6 have particularly high TBNs, so assuming good filtration, they can be run longer without building up acidity. I go 10,000 miles or one year on the trucks, and about 5,000 or six months on the VN750. I tried Rotella T (15W-40) but had problems with oil pressure when cold (55 degrees) and had to burp the filter on the side of the road several times. I must have something not quite right in the oil pickup line, like a small leak, or maybe with the oil pump.

The Bosch, Motorcraft, PowerFlo, ProLine, Purolator Premium Plus, Purolator Pure One, Quaker State brand filters use the same (best) filter media but varying amounts of it, and perhaps different anti-drainback valve design and material. The best of these (that I have seen data on) are Purolator Pure One and Bosch. I believe the SuperTech filters from WalMart use a similar media, buck much less of it- I will use those in a pinch (there's one on my bike now.) From memory, use the Mazda MX-6 filter as a cross reference-- it is a longer filter than stock-- check it out to be sure.

The bottom line is that it doesn't matter that much as long as you use a motorcycle compatible oil (NOT "Energy Conserving,") and change it regularly and before the reserve alkalinity disappears. It really depends on how the clutch and transmission work with the oil you choose-- every bike is a little different.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 03:12 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Which Oil / Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashley View Post
It is a matter of educated preference.....
I have used NAPA MC oil with oem filter. Then switched to Rotella Synthetic with K&N filter. Currently I am using Comercial Rated (CJ) Delvac 15-40 with K&N filter w/o any problems. Next Oil change I will go with one of the filters listed below.

An Oil filter that sits vertically does not need to have an anti drain back valve to protect the engine. However most/all motorcycle engines have a filter that sits horizontally and absolutely require a high quality anti-drain back valve to prevent contaminants from flowing back into the engine when it is turned off.
Here is a link to a study on oil filters.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html
Study it and you will see why his #1 recommended filter is the PUROLATOR PURE ONE, p/n 14610 for Honda, Kawi and Yamaha motorcycles with the 20 X 1.5 mm mounting thread. (Suzuki requires an adaptor as they use a different 20 X 1.0 mm thread. Full info in article.) After reading this article, the Pure One filter line appears to be the best qualityfilter available for any vehicle I own. It would be my #1 choice in the future. These filters DO have Anti-Drain Valves.

1986-93 Purolator Pure One PL14459 Pure One
1986-93 Mobil 1 M1-104
1986-93 Bosch 3325 Hi-Flo oil filter

1994 & up Purolator Pure One PL14610
1994 & up Mobil 1 M1-110
1994 & up Bosch 3323 Hi-Flo oil filter

Hope this helps....

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 07:13 PM

IMO, you can use ANY four stroke oil, weight is the main thing, as well as changing it as often as you can. I change mine about every 2500 miles. Check your owners manual (I lost mine a long time ago) and use the heaviest oil you can get away with according to the manual and the temperatures in your area. I have never used anything but 20w50 in my bikes, lots of different brands. I have never had a lubrication problem. 70,000+ on my Vulcan and still going strong, I expect to reach well over 100,000. As for filters, Bosch is good, I use Emgo, and get 6 of them at the time from DK. Just stay away from Fram. There are way to many documented cases of engines destroyed by Fram filters. Google it and do your own research.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement