Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

$20.00 De-Goat!

Well since I had my buddies VN750 to do the stator replacement, he wanted it painted and something done with the exhaust...... I just got the paint work done and came out awesome.... he wanted Black and that is what he got.... Well I looked at scoot works degoat and it comes out over 80 buck shipped, so I decided to do my own version of a de-goat.....He still has the stock air cleaners so not to worried about jetting, but will keep an eye on plugs down the road..........Also i bet miles pe gallon gonna go up ditching 20 pounds of Goat Belly! That thing is heavy, i was amazed!

I m sorry i did not take many pics, guess i just wanted to get it done But can tell you what I used and how much.........

Universal 1" 3/4 ID x 18 " flexible tail pipe $5.99 Orielly Auto parts

Part Number: 540175

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...keyword=540175

4 x Automotive exhaust clamps 1" 3/4

Part Number: 517134

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0082&ppt=C0022

Well first thing I did was remove the goat belly and shields and rear muffles on each side.........

I removed the exhaust flange seals from the mufflers, I then ground down the single rubber mounting washers that the pass through the rubber that mount the mufflers to the foot peg bracket, about 1/16 off each of the inner and outer metal portion so when i hang the muffler and tighten it up it wont flop around and will stay put while you measure and mock up the new pipe before you cut it........

I then loosened up each header header pipe so it would move slightly.....

I started on the right side.

I hung the right muffler and tightened up and alined where I thought it should be....then i took the flex pipe and bent it and layed it out side the header and muffler to get an idea where to cut...one end slides over the header pipe about 2 inches and the other end will slide into the muffler.... I marked with painters tape where to cut around the flex pipe.....

I then cut it..... Then I took off the muffler and slid the cut flex pipe all the way in and then slid the other end over the header pipe and mouted the muffler and snuggged her up....then installed a new muffler clamp on each end..... I moved the pipe around untill happy with alignemnt...I them tigtned the front clamp down on the header... i got it tight and mashed.... Then I removed the clamp and installed an OEM band clamp i had removed off the bike.....I tightned her up and that part is good.... i had to use one OEM band clamp on that the right header pipe as the automotive clamps hit the shield and did not hwant to notch out the shield...but you can decide if you want to if you like the idea of the stout automotive clamp.....

Then I left the rear clamp on the muffle loos and installed the heat shield, lined it all up and tightned the heat shiel to the exhaust....that is what lines it all up and keeps it aligned as you tighten down the clamp on the muffler....

After that was done I went ahead and tightened up the clamp on the muffler....... Right side is done

Left is the same concept....I got lucky and the new pipe I had cut from the other side was perfect for the left side....

So use the least amount of pipe on the right side and you will have enough for the left side out of 18 inches of flex pipe......

I also completely gutted the stock mufflers....that was a job in itself.....

This degoat i used shoud be perfect with mufflers that are gutted or hollow with no back pressure...... the bike sounds awesome and has that v-twin sound at idle, also the exhaust is stable and not loose feeling after all together which is a big plus................

I also added stainless tips that where a perfect fit for on the OEM mufflers, they slid all the way on and covered up the holes i had to drill to get the baffles out...... they where old westinghouse solar yard lights that died years ago but i kept the stainless tubing from them....I knew one day they might come in handy!

It came out less then 20 bucks for my version of the De-goat!

Rags

P R Customz

http://imageevent.com/radicalrags/prcustomz

TuxedoSeven's Stator Mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...t=16839&page=5

Tuxedo style Stator mount plate kits for sale.
$50.00 shipped! PM me and look at link below.
http://imageevent.com/radicalrags/ka...eplacement?n=0

Last edited by Rags; 10-11-2011 at 04:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 07:16 AM
Banned

Nice job! Looks good. I thought about going with flex pipe on mine. How does the center stand work? Did you have to fab a bracket for the center stand to rest against?
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Center stand seems to work exactly how it did before the mod..... The part that you use your foot on rests against the left muffler in the cut out that is made for it, I didn't notice if it rested on the goats belly before I took it apart, but i don't see any problem with it sitting on the muffler in the cut out how it does now ...I could wrap the part of the center stand that rests against the muffler with silicone tube or a piece of heater hose if it rattles going down the road, but I rode it and didn't notice any rattles from the center stand, couldn't hear to much but the loud exhaust note from gutted exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakerBill View Post
Nice job! Looks good. I thought about going with flex pipe on mine. How does the center stand work? Did you have to fab a bracket for the center stand to rest against?

Rags

P R Customz

http://imageevent.com/radicalrags/prcustomz

TuxedoSeven's Stator Mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...t=16839&page=5

Tuxedo style Stator mount plate kits for sale.
$50.00 shipped! PM me and look at link below.
http://imageevent.com/radicalrags/ka...eplacement?n=0

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:22 AM

Looks nice! How does it sound without baffles? I left mine in after the degoat.

I used the flex pipe on mine, too. The center stand does contact the left pipe, so I siliconed a bit of rubber hose split lengthwise to keep it from rattling when I hit rough road. I also used the stock exhaust clamps with some scrap steel (18 gauge, I think) for shims to make sure it tightened down well. Only cost I had in was for the flex tubing, though I bought a roll of header wrap and did that while it was torn apart.

If someone else can make it, I can make a half-a$$ knockoff!

2005 VN750 upwards of 14K (haven't looked lately)

Mods:
AGM Battery
Degoated
Headers wrapped
Custom paint
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the pics and instructions Rags. I bought my stuff from O'Reilly's, and cost me about $19, and took about 2 hours to remove the goat's belly and install the straight pipe. Runs great and sounds even better.

Byorec

2000 VN750
Over 37,000 miles
Battery-Minder Plus
Maintenance Free Battery
MCCT
Ride-On
Upsized Metzeler ME880 Tires
Ear Shave
V&H Cruzers Exhaust
Mutazu Saddle Bags
F&S Saddlebag bracket
F&S Luggage Rack
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 07:03 PM

Glad you posted this !

I was on my way to my elderly Mom's today, when my Belly blew a 1" hole in it. Too much poppin and backfiring after that, so went back home.
My neighbor drove me down to the Harley custom shop, I got 2 crush gaskets for $2 each, and 18" of flex and clamps (at NAPA) for a total of $16. Degoating tomorrow. Was gonna wait till Spring, but no choice now.
Thanks for the post !

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 03:50 PM

Uh oh...

I got 18" of flex from a NAPA...ended up being a returned 14" piece (damn !)...then I measured the goat itself...was 8.5" and 11"...thats 19.5"...
Well, I found a NAPA thatr has 1 3/4" on a 50' roll in stock for $2.65/ft...just need to get a ride there now, as Im dead in the water....
Moral : measure first...measure when buying...and stay away from North jersey NAPAs....lol

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 12:04 PM
14sec vulcan

I went down and bought everything to do this mod after I read this thread and it sounds great thanks for the pics and info.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 06:01 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I like that black paint. If my bike didn't have so many miles on it, I'd invest in a new paint job, but it would be just my luck to shell out big bucks for a paint job, then have the thing blow up on me. Never did like that '02 greenish black metallic with silver sides on the tank, and mine now has a few scratches on it.

I can't understand why everyone wants to get rid of the goats belly. Not only does it sound awful (to me) but you are almost certainly losing power. If you are going to do it, I would at least put something together with a crossover on it, like Roach did. Mine is in like new condition (things just don't rust here), but id something did happen to it, I'd be looking fro another one. And from the number of people who have removed them, I probably wouldn't have much of a problem finding one. When I went back to my stock system after getting rid of the expensive V&H pipes, I even sandblasted the goats belly, and painted it with flat black header paint, and replaced all 4 of those expensive graphite gaskets.

I did get rid of several pounds of JUNK when I removed all the emissions crap, the complete CA evap system and the complete air injection system. I literally had a 5 gallon bucket full of junk. But removing that stuff does not have anything to do with the sound or jetting or power. I simply refuse to own a vehicle with emissions crap on it.

And since I also removed the complete right front brake caliper, rotor, and hose, along with the emissions crap, I figure I have lost at least 20 pounds, maybe more.

That nice v-twin sound will completely disappear out on the highway, and it will make the most awful droning sound. That's the reason I went from the V&H pipes back to stock. The bike just wasn't any fun to ride out on the road anymore, and that is where I spend most of my time/miles.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

Last edited by VN750Rider/Jerry; 10-31-2011 at 06:06 PM.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 03:32 AM
If only it had 6th gear..

Good info for people who want to ditch heir belly. Personally, I'm for keeping it. The high revs would drive me [email protected]#$&. Kinda wish the baffles would come out of the stock muffs easily though so I could have some fun blatting around and go back to civilized afterward, ha ha. Anyway, thanks for sharing and your bike looks real good.

Dave

Mods:
Jetted, shaved & coastered
Home made under-tank single filter
Converted ACCT's to manual (thanks wib714)
Dual vac lines on petcock (my cure for ticking)
LED tail/plate lights
Relocated helmet lock to license plate

Added stuff:
Customized hard bags w/ lights
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Home made 'Vita-Volt' meter
Foot rests on engine guard
Tunes

Hmm....she was on the back when we left.... ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement