Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Any opinions on this idea?

Patient: 02 VN750 with 4,600 miles.
Problem: Engine knock that seems to be coming from upper portion of front cylinder.
So far I've: Ckd. compression (155 in both cylinders) Ran engine on just rear cylinder (Knock still there), Removed front cylinder cover. Checked oil pressure, ( Checked O.K.) I'm getting oil to top of cylinder.
I'm thinking the problem may involve the front HLA's.

In an effort to eliminate a possible HLA problem, I'm THINKING of trying to remove the front cam cap, removing the rocker arms ( to allow the cams to freespin), replace the cam cap, remove the front spark plugs, and run the engine on the rear cylinder to see if the knock is still there.

I've also removed the front exhaust manifold, the action of the exhaust valves looks O.K. The only thing I noticed is that the exhaust residue is very dark, indicating a rich fuel mixture.

Any opinions or suggestions would be helpful. Could a HLA problem be causing the knock?
I've replaced the acct's already, no change or improvement.

Last edited by dodger; 10-05-2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: additional information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Old Truck Junkie

It is most likely your acct's (automatic cam chain adjusters). Check the vulcan verses for info on this.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Git-R-Done!

Ok - call me a doofus, but I have to know : what exactly does "HLA" stand for? I am usually pretty good about figuring acronyms out, but can't seem to get that one....

Thanks!

AZ Kev

Arizona Kev

1989 VN750
7800 orig mi when purchased Jan 2011
Turned 11,000 mi Nov 2011
Saddlebags
Taillight relocation kit
Chad's highway peg mounts
Emgo Pegs
Aftermarket mirrors
Dunlop D404's

Otherwise, all stock

"But it's a dry heat - like the inside of an oven"

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Hydralic Lash Adjuster.( Lifters)

02 honda sabre 1100
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

X2 for cam chain tensioner. Mine did the same thing two weeks ago. Unfortunately, I have a stretched chain. I was able to eliminate the knock, but it still clatters occasionally and I can't screw my manual tensioners down any more or I get an abnormal whirring noise. I started having issues at 5,000 miles, I think my chain was stetched by then- I hope yours is OK!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 05:31 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

Well, he did say he replaced the acct's already. Dodger, new or just different ones? Or did you replace just the springs? Please clarify since the most common culprit of knocking and slapping noises are the accts on these motors. You can probably pop the cap screw on the front cylinder and manually turn the little screw in there to see if you get change in the sound, if not completely silence it. That would confirm it was the acct. Otherwise, yeah it could be the hla in the front cylinder. Unclebadass had that problem although his would go away when it warmed up.

Dave

Mods:
Jetted, shaved & coastered
Home made under-tank single filter
Converted ACCT's to manual (thanks wib714)
Dual vac lines on petcock (my cure for ticking)
LED tail/plate lights
Relocated helmet lock to license plate

Added stuff:
Customized hard bags w/ lights
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Home made 'Vita-Volt' meter
Foot rests on engine guard
Tunes

Hmm....she was on the back when we left.... ??
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

I did the quick conversion to the manual cct using the original housings. I think I have them snug enough but that didn't make a difference in the knock.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

In my case, the knock was only when cold (I have manual tensioners.) My presumtion is that as the aluminum cylinder heats and expands more than the steel cam chain, it naturally puts more tension on the chain. With the engine cold, I would start it up and increase the cam chain tension (while running) to see if the sound changes. Be careful and don't put too much force. If you have to put an unreasonable amount of force on the tensioner to affect the noise, then your cam chain may be stretched. Finger-snug minus 1/8-1/4 turn is supposed to be sufficient, but I have always had to run like a ft-lb to get it quiet(for the past 30,000 miles.) If your engine begins to bog you have WAY overdone it. Likewise, if you hear a noise like a gear-driven supercharger when revving it, it's too tight as well. That's the situation I have going on now. Good luck and keep us posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement