Need information re: collapsed lifter. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Need information re: collapsed lifter.

I'm still trying to determine the cause of an engine knock. Dealing with an 02 750 with a little over 4,600 miles. Previous owner said that knock came on suddenly with a loss of power. As far as I can tell, the sound (via. stethoscope) seems to be coming from the upper portion of the front cylinder in the area of the cams and H.L.A.'s. Can anyone offer any advise on what kind of sound or effects I might expect from a collapsed lifter? What would be the best way to check it out? I know that the front cover can be removed without taking the engine out and am wondering if its possible to check out the lifters without engine removal. (limited access due to purge tank) I have already installed mcct's and it did not make any difference in the knock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 03:24 PM

Valves tap consistently. A piston will slap at the top and bottom if the stroke. A cam chain will clatter inconsistently. So if its a consistent tap tap tap tap in the head, my guess is the hvla. Which can clog very easily if oil was ran too long. It will reduce power somewhat because it delays the valve from opening to the slightest degree. There is a procedure for cleaning them in the service manual. However after talking with the Kawasaki techs at MMI it would be better to replace as more often than not they don't clean out. At least that has been his experience.

My tap is when the motor is cold and at about 1500 to 2000 rpm. Another option is get the motor HOT! Drain the oil. Replace filter, run for 500 mi. Add seafoam to the crankcase run 100 mi. And repeat until tapping is gone. That is how I was told to possibly clean hvla with out taking valve cover off. I haven't had any luck with it....

The hvla are 50 bucks a pop from dealer.

There's my two cents

Good luck

2004 Vulcan 750
Mine on Feb 2011
with 14,000mi
now 18,000mi
bone stock and
Lovin it
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Got the cover off and......

Well, here's a little update. I was able to get the cover of and able to peer inside. On the left side I can see the gear end of the 2 cams along with the top end of the cam chain. On the right side I can see the 2 lobes on the end of the cams, along with the rocker arms, and valve springs for 2 valves. It appears to me that there may be a lack of lubrication. The 2 lobes appear to be dry and the flat ends show slight signs of rust. There is a small amount of oil in the well at the bottom of the valve springs. The teeth on the gear ends and chain also appear dry with slight rust in the gear depressions The underside of the cover is also dry.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 05:56 PM

Not good. Have you been able to identify how oil gets to that part of the motor. Follow your oil passages down till you find the clog. Or you might just have an oil pressure issue. Check the service manual for test procedure. Rust also suggests water but not always. Depends on how humid of a climate you live in.

I hope this helps

2004 Vulcan 750
Mine on Feb 2011
with 14,000mi
now 18,000mi
bone stock and
Lovin it
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 06:09 PM

If I am wrong here, others will be quick to correct me. It just sounded like a similar issue to what i'm going through right now. I haven't pulled the cover off mine either.

2004 Vulcan 750
Mine on Feb 2011
with 14,000mi
now 18,000mi
bone stock and
Lovin it
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Re: Oil pressure

To 13rice: I have started the bike a few times, just let it idle. On those occasions the oil pressure light always went out. It appears to me that the oil is delivered to the top of the cylinder via an external oil line where I'm guessing it goes to the oil reservoir in the cam cap for distribution and then gravity feeds downstairs. (this is just the way it looks to me) I am waiting to get some more input from posts, but I am thinking about turning the engine over to see what if any oil flow I observe. Don't know if turning it over will be enough to get oil to the top. Re; cover removal, you can only get the front cover of without removing the engine. AND IT'S TIGHT!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement