not starting - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

not starting

My 2001 vn750 died on me while I was going down the free way. My head light went off but the oil and neutral lights were still on. When I tried to restart it the starter just clicked like I had a low battery. I replaced the battery and it still did the same thing with a brand new battery. I had it taken into a shop they told me the starter was bad. I had it rebuilt by people who accually know what because they know what they are doing and the cheapest I could get a new starter for is $416. They said it was as good as new when I picked it up. But still the only thing that happens is the starter clicks and nothing else. I am not sure if this is an electrical problem or mechanical either way it goes I have to do the work myself because I am broke. Any help on this would be great I have tried almost everything and I am not sure if they engine is seized up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 07:49 PM

Try and get some help and see if it will push start with the new battery. It almost seems like you have two issues. The bike just quiting on the free way and a starting issue. The starting system has nothing to do with the bike stalling. However they still could be related.
Check all your connections;grounds, starter relay, battery and fuses. make sure there clean. If there good see if u can push start it that would let you know if the engine was seized.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

I have tried having it push started numerous time with the new battery and both before and after the starter was rebuilt with the same result. All I can hear is the rear tire skidding along the ground. The only thing that I have not really checked into was the starter relay.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Is it the starter clicking or is it the starter relay/solonoid under the right side cover that is clicking.
It has a heavy cable connected to the positive post on the battery.

That relay should click once when you press the start button and power should then flow to the starter itself.
Try jumping across the two heavy electric contacts on the relay with a heavy guage wire or metal bar or tool.
If the starter cranks now, the relay is shot.

EDIT: Resistance test for relay. With the wires disconnected from the big terminals and ignition switch on, press the start button. If the relay clicks once and you have 0 (zero) ohms, the relay is ok. Any reading above zero and the relay is faulty and must be replaced.
You can also run a jumper cable from another battery direct to the positive terminal on the starter body. Ground the neg cable to the bike battery or frame somewhere clear of paint.

Another alternative is to remove the starter again and bench test it.

There is another relay in the starter circuit inside the Junction Box/fuse box under the left side cover. If it is faulty, the whole JB must be replaced, as the relays inside are not designed to be (easily) replaced. (Apparently it can be done by a knowledgeable electrical tech who is motivated and cares enough to learn which one etc. ala slimvulcanrider and a few others here.)

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 09-23-2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Add ohm test
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Sorry to be a pain in the neck but I have also tried to jump the starter relay and I have also jumped the starter with both the bike battery and the battery in my car. I was also hoping that I went into enough detail so I would not waste anybody's time with stuff I already did. I know about how to work on cars but working on bikes is still new to me and I am trying to cross between the two.

Let me start over really quick just omitting the details. I have tried to push start it with a new battery and before and after the starter was rebuilt. All I get is the sound of the tire skidding on the ground. I have jumped the starter relay with a screw driver. I have bypassed the starter relay using the battery in the bike and the batter from my car just in case I bought a battery that was not strong enough. Did a simple test on the relay with the ohms setting on a DVOM it passed(only test on it I did). Not sure about the junction box do not know how to test it. All the fuses are good. And I have done some other stuff but do not really remember what it was. Been trying to get into the engine to see if it is seized but have not been able to with out pulling the engine and I live in and apartment so thats kinda hard to do. And it is the starter that clicks if I hold the button for about 3 seconds I can hear it whine

Last edited by goobie006; 09-23-2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: forgot to add other information
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 10:44 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

When push starting are you putting the bike in a high gear? Like at least 3rd? If you're just dropping it in 1st, you're gonna just get tire skidding because of the engines compression. Using a higher gear is like giving you leverage so try that.
I think if your engine seized because of an oil problem it woulda' locked up the rear wheel and put you into a skid. If it just died and you slowed to a stop, I don't think it's frozen. Although if it overheated badly it wouldn't seize up instantly but would after the engine stopped rotating. Just trying to help you determine this part of the problem. OlHossCanada suggested in another post to remove the stator cover on the left side and turn the engine with a socket and ratchet. You could try that if push starting isn't working out. Should rule this out b4 spending more money on stuff. Hope it works out for you

Dave

Mods:
Jetted, shaved & coastered
Home made under-tank single filter
Converted ACCT's to manual (thanks wib714)
Dual vac lines on petcock (my cure for ticking)
LED tail/plate lights
Relocated helmet lock to license plate

Added stuff:
Customized hard bags w/ lights
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Home made 'Vita-Volt' meter
Foot rests on engine guard
Tunes

Hmm....she was on the back when we left.... ??

Last edited by DavesVulster; 09-23-2011 at 10:51 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

I have had a hot starting problem with for a long time and have gotten it started in first gear by myself and with others. The only problem I had was I kept hitting the brake instead of the clutch so it died right after I did that so I had to it again...got real good at it. Although I have tried it in second gear and still got the same result. And I have been trying to get down to that part but I have a stubborn screw that is keeping from getting to that point. Glad to know there is a bolt there and all the work i am doing is not in vain.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 11:12 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

Yeah it's in there. Can you tell us more about what happened when it died on you? Any noises you remember, other abnormal things maybe even earlier in the ride? The answers are in the details.
I suppose with someone helping you could push start in 1st I've just always found it easier on bikes, and cars to use the tranny's gear ratio to my advantage (had a lot of experience with push starting p.o.s. vehicles, ha ha). Keep us posted. Good luck.

Dave

Mods:
Jetted, shaved & coastered
Home made under-tank single filter
Converted ACCT's to manual (thanks wib714)
Dual vac lines on petcock (my cure for ticking)
LED tail/plate lights
Relocated helmet lock to license plate

Added stuff:
Customized hard bags w/ lights
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Home made 'Vita-Volt' meter
Foot rests on engine guard
Tunes

Hmm....she was on the back when we left.... ??

Last edited by DavesVulster; 09-23-2011 at 11:15 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

As far as when it died it didnt make any kind of noise no loss of power it just died my oil light was on but that was normal. When ever I would let my bike sit and idol for about 5 minutes it would kick on with no noise or anything and it would go off about 2 miles down the road. Was advised that it is probably a faulty sensor once again no loss of power no noise. I let off the throttle and pulled in my clutch to get on the exit ramp and once I let go of the throttle the bike died. I let go of my clutch after I hit the start button and nothing happened to try to basically push start it while going about 60 mph. The head light went off and all that was on was the oil light just like it normally was when I first put my key in to start it. The bike rolled for about 50 feet or so in fifth gear before the tire started to skid. I down shifted through all of my gears trying to get my bike to kick back over as I slowed down and I rolled for a bit before the tire started skidding and the bike hasnt started up since.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 03:51 AM
Chucklehead

Before going any further I would suggest pulling the stator cover and turning the motor over using the rotor bolt. Just to eliminate the possibility of the motor being locked. It would suck if it really wasn't a faulty sensor and the motor is now a boat anchor.

87 vn750at least that is what the frame #'s say
"Squirrel Bike" aka Jersey

Rat bike with a good PR agent

shaved and coastered
2 into 1 exhaust
rear 170 and front 110
Relocated R/R
custom dash with voltmeter
Spitfire windscreen
Plutonium plugs
Recovered seat without "butt hammers"
More to come
Praise to the Parts Goddess Crobins for needed things

When someone tells me "Great minds think alike" all I can think is "You Pervert"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement