Poking at the fan - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Poking at the fan

So after a long (7 hours!) ride I came off the highway and noticed that at lights the temp gauge was running a width or two off of straight up and down into the hot side. I watched it and nothing became of it, but it recently did it again in city riding.

I am not losing coolant and I noticed that the fan was fairly quiet. In fact, I remember parking the bike in the heat of summer and hearing that thing roar on as I am backing in for a minute or so. Last night- it was much, much quieter. Think my fan has sh*t the bed? Is there a good way to give them a clean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Likely it's the fan switch on the lower left (as you're sitting on the bike) of the radiator. Do you have a Clymer's manual? There's a great explanation in there of how to test it - basically you put it in a cup of water at X temperature and see what the resistance does (should lower within range to open the switch, increase outside of the range to shut off the switch). If it's fubarred, you can bypass it with a manual switch - a little toggle switch is all you need. You can run it when you need to that way (which, basically, could be throughout your ride).

C
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I do not have that manual, but I see someone posted it in the forum before (actually it may have been you). Since cooler weather is coming starting tonight, I may see if I can get away without messing with it for another month.

Toggle switch might be sweet though.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Banned

I took mine apart, and lubed the bearings. It's a tight squeeze, but can be done. I drilled a small hole in the back of the motor to get to the rear bearing, shot some lube in there, spun it by hand, and shot a little more in there, then sealed it with some clear silicone.
It spins a LOT better with a lot less resistance.
Pull the wire from the temp switch, and ground it to the frame, if the fan comes on, your switch might be bad, or you might have a lose connection. If the fan don't come on, then you might have a bad relay or fan.
When I pulled mine to lube it, I hooked it to a battery to see how well it worked.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakerBill View Post
Pull the wire from the temp switch, and ground it to the frame, if the fan comes on, your switch might be bad, or you might have a lose connection. If the fan don't come on, then you might have a bad relay or fan.
When I pulled mine to lube it, I hooked it to a battery to see how well it worked.
This sounds simple enough to do. I am a little confused though. Both the situations of grounding the wire and the fans reaction are bad. What result do I look for if all is peaches and cream?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement