Changed to synthetic and a funny thing happened... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Jackie Chan Stunt Double

Question Changed to synthetic and a funny thing happened...

Couple weeks ago, I changed from 10w40 synthetic blend to Amsoil 10w40. 16K miles on the bike, so did not figure was going to be a problem. Per usual with the past 4 changes, emptied 4 quarts in, which technically is slightly too much since it takes 4 liters, but not enough it should cause an issue. I have ridden it approx 300 miles on the new oil, and was happy with the change as it seems to run smoother and the valvetrain is a little quieter.
So the other day it is warming up before I leave for work, and I notice little puffs of smoke coming from the exhaust for the front cylinder. I also see a little oil weeping from the exhaust manifold, just enough to smoke a little. It has never burned any oil before and the manifold has always been dry.

The only thing I could figure was the change with the synthetic oil lubricity was just enough to start causing oil blow-by in that cylinder. I drained the synthetic out and put dino back in, rode it about 20 miles and no problem.

I am wondering now if I had put exactly the amount of oil I was supposed to in of it would have made a difference, or if the front cylinder rings are just too worn to use the synthetic. Anybody else ever run across this?

You are unique. Just like everybody else.

2000 Vulcan 750

Re-padded and modded seat
Spline and final drive lube
Bridgestone Exedras
Flat black repaint
Saddlebags
Highway Pegs

Planned:
LED Brakelight
Rear Luggage Rack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Don't think the amount of oil had anything to do with it. Four quarts is less than four liters, and a lot of us use four quarts.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 10:35 PM

I have not switched to synthetic oil on my bike but, I did switch over a 1990 corvette a few years ago from regular to synthetic and even though it only had 30,000 miles on it the intake manifold began to leak. I wound up replacing the gasket and it was fine. I am hesitant to change any older vehicle over to synthetic because of this. Now i didn't try putting regular oil back in to see if it stopped leaking.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 01:41 AM

1 gal=3.75L
Because the stator is oil cooled, I use 4L of oil (it's stated everywhere) with no problems. I've never had a problem with synth oil leaking.

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Banned

You might have oil getting past the valve guides. It's very rare to have an engine start leaking past the rings like that, especially right after an oil change.
It's possible, but highly unlikely.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 03:23 PM

the reason you had the leak was synthetic oil has much much smaller molecules than dino. Which is why its suggested if your going to swap over to synthetic you need to do it as soon as possible in the motors life, so that the gaskets are capable of holding back the smaller molecules.

2004 Vulcan 750
Mine on Feb 2011
with 14,000mi
now 18,000mi
bone stock and
Lovin it
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3rice View Post
the reason you had the leak was synthetic oil has much much smaller molecules than dino. Which is why its suggested if your going to swap over to synthetic you need to do it as soon as possible in the motors life, so that the gaskets are capable of holding back the smaller molecules.
Bullshut. You do not get leaks because synth has "smaller molecules" ... Holes that are only one molecule in diameter would likely not leak...the reason you might get a leak is explained here:

http://bestsyntheticoil.com/info/seals.shtml

Regular Dino oil contains molecules that are the same size as synthetic oil.... And ones that are larger. So it would still leak if size had anything to do with it.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 05:42 PM

KM's article hit on my best guess: synthetics generally have more detergent additives.

As I understand it, they are also designed to remain more 'oil-like' under a broader range of conditions than petroleum oil, instead of turning into the dreaded 'gunk' the oil companies warn you about.

In my experience, synthetic will cause an older engine to leak a bit, but over time it seems to get better. However, I've never had enough of a leak to get me concerned.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Yep.....switching to a synthetic in an older bike is a bit like using SeaFoam for the first time....it sometimes gets worse before it gets better.

My personal view on synthetics is they are a waste of money, unless you ride alot in extremely hot weather, as they outperform Dino oil in those temps.

Ideally, if you want to use synthetic oil, you should start using it from day one in your new or rebuilt motor.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 08:33 PM

FIVEO: Let me weigh in on this 10/40 blend Amsoil you installed. Now Amsoil DOESNOT make a BLEND for motorcycles.To ad to the oil usage is most like ly the sludge and deposit buildup on your rings and other componates were letting loose and making your filter do its job. Im sure you also used an Amsoil filter also. Thats the fact on that.
Fisher1630: OIL of anykind DOESNOT make an INTAKE leak. There isnt and Lubricant that goes thru it.. It was going to leak no matter what you put in it.
RakerBill: I agree on your info that possible the sludge buildup around valve area let loose and parts are either cracked or badly worn. Nothing fixes worn parts except replacement of part.
Knifemaker: Molecules in Amsoil lubricants are SMALLER and More uniform then any Dino lubricant. Amsoil will clean out the sludge build up in any engine that has used Dino lubricants as for cleaning agents added to Amsoil lubricants.KM your referal to that Amsoil Dealer is the best thing I have seen you do. Thanks.
HOTROD: Right on buddy.
Did I miss anything?
Thank you for reading this info and I hope it clears up a few misinformed people.
Amsoil man

Marbled
Pick ups reset
Splines lubed
Kenda Kruz tires 110Frt. / 170 rear
Custom saddle seat
Backrest
1500 classic rear fender
Cobra slants /Custom Made turndowns
Diamond Plate Buffalo Leather Bags
Throttle lock
Front bearings repacked