starter questions - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

starter questions

i am rebuilding a 2001 with under 4300 miles. i believe i am the 5th owner. others have started a rebuild and i am trying to pick up the pieces. apparently the balancer assembly went and blew pieces through the cover. the left side frame rail was cut in an attempt to work on bike without removing engine. that piece was missing when i bought bike. so far says a lot for my mechanical skills...i have acquired parts and am installing as i get them..shout out to bob in mississippi, gave me a great deal on parts. i have the balancer shaft replaced and both side assemblies installed. the starter idler gear and washer are also in. i hooked booster up to bike and hit starter. no clutch assembly installed yet. should the gears have done anything other than twitch? am i being to hopeful that they should have spun around or could something be wrong? the starter motor and shaft spun before gears were placed. too soon to see anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 11:11 AM

Yeah, everything should spin if it's in neutral.

Did you say the frame was cut? Are you talking about the removable sub-frame?

Street
1985 VN750 Acquired Feb, 2011 - 13,676km
Mods - Ear Shave, Pickup Coil Gap, Drilled Clutch Basket, Shift Tie Rod, Mosfet R/R, MF Battery, De-Goated (H-Pipe), MCCT, Heated Grips, Plexistar 2 Windshield

Dirt
2004 KTM SX 125 - 1979 Can-Am Qualifier 250 - 1971 Kawasaki F6

Video Tutorials - Engine Rebuild - Fork Seal Replacement - Grease Swing Arm Bearings - Carb Rebuild - Spline Lube - Refilling Rear Shocks - Grease Steering Bearings
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

the left side was cut. i spoke with original owner and he cut the frame figuring to do repair to balancer and then weld the frame back together.
there is no battery in bike. i don't know if that would make a difference. no shift lever on as of yet. waiting on thrust washer to be able to put clutch assembly in. and then gaskets coming to get right side buttoned up. i have a stator cover coming. have to do a little repair where piece of metal blew through case under the balancer assembly. i have a donor section for frame repair. local body man has built his own chopper and says the weld would be easy enough to do and safe.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 10:55 AM

Hi,
I've been helping Brett get his bike going. We're at the stage of trying to start it. It turns over real slow and when it gets to TDC it stops. Another press on the start button it'll go over TDC then stop at the next TDC. The starter doesn't take long to overheat and when it does, it turn over slower. We test the voltage at the battery before it's 12+, then as it cranks the volts drop to 8+. This is after maybe 2 or 3 revs. Then we have to let the starter cool down.

We watched the spark while doing this. It starts out strong and blue then just disappears I think the volt drop caused that.So we put a relay at the battery to the coil. Now the spark stay until the battery dies. We also put a 4AWG cable to the starter and an extra ground from starter mount to frame.

Yesterday I got the idea to boost the battery in series (12+12=24) instead of paralell (12+12=12). I had an old Jeep that was 6v I replaced the battery with a 12v and then the starter spun with some authority.

So we unplugged the TCI (didn't know what 24v would do to it) hook a jumpbox in series(24v) hit the start button and the engine spun good, with no plugs in. It cranked til batery run down less than 10 revs but the starter stayed cool just the wire stud got warm.

We dinked around all day boosting, recharging, ect. We put in both deep plugs then we put one plug in and turned it over it turned good but slowed at TDC of the plugged cyl. Put the other plug in then it stops at TDC like at begining of post. This with 24v and the starter getting hot again.

Now the 64 dollar question. Could we be dealing with a bad starter?

thanks
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Banned

You have starter issues.
Mine was doing the exact same thing. I had good voltage at the battery, and as soon as I hit the switch, the voltage would drop down to 6 volts, and it would crank over really slow, even with jumping it. The starter would get so hot, I couldn't touch it. I have a good AGM battery, so the voltage wasn't an issue.
I replaced the starter, and bam! it turned over fine.
You can take it to a local autozone or schucks, and they can test it to see how many amps it takes to spin it.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 04:53 PM

Thanks Bill,

Did I see you have a starter for sale? I'm going to take the starter off and have Auto Zone test it.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 06:12 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

Hey guys. I agree about the starter being the prime suspect. It's resistance seems to be thru the roof. I suggested to Brett that as soon as you get that v spinning, do a compression test on it to see where you're at since it was set up from sitting. Good luck with it.

Dave

Mods:
Jetted, shaved & coastered
Home made under-tank single filter
Converted ACCT's to manual (thanks wib714)
Dual vac lines on petcock (my cure for ticking)
LED tail/plate lights
Relocated helmet lock to license plate

Added stuff:
Customized hard bags w/ lights
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Home made 'Vita-Volt' meter
Foot rests on engine guard
Tunes

Hmm....she was on the back when we left.... ??
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 10:12 PM

OK. I took the starter to the local dealer to get it tested. Turns out the only test they do is jump it with a jumpbox. I figured they'd of had some sophisticated machine that told amp draw or something. Hell I did the jumpbox thing at home. They suggested a rebuild 1 hour labor + parts= 130.00.

Well? I took the starter home . Even though I had already taken it apart and cleaned it once I figured WTH do it again, clean it better, test it with ohmmeter and lub it.

Not too hard second time or was it the third time. I got the commutator shining like a new penny, ran an exacto knife in the grooves and shined the brushes.

The ohm test was easy it's just yes/no. It's in Clymer a can do it.

Put it back in bike, think we're back in business. Jumpbox turn it fairly well with all plugs in. Now waiting for AGM battery, in mean time going to try regapping pickup coils.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

bought battery on line at advaced auto. got 20% off. picking it up in 30 mins. hoopefully reporting the bike starts later!!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 08:19 AM

The epic battle of wills between man and bike continues.

"Yesterday all my troubles seemed so far away, now it looks as though they're here to stay."

We put the AGM battery and iridium plugs in and did our preflights.

Jump forward several failed attempts too get it running.

We took the shallow plugs out and grounded them. We had used several shots of ether earlier and it must not have all dissipated. When Brett hit the starter it looked like a World's Dumdest alcohol firebreather. Luckily no one's hair caught on fire.

We gave up for the day after that.

Later I was going to try again. That AGM has some serious amperage in it. Earlier attempts at starting caused both cables to heat up at the battery . This time the connector on the neg. post got cherry red. There's still alot of resistance some where, be it electrical or mechanical.
I'm going to add an extra ground to the battery and try again later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement