stator or something else ? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

stator or something else ?

Hi I have a 1993 vulcan 750 which I have already had the carbs redone and gas tank gaskets done but now when I went to start it the other day it was a bit harder. Today i tried to start it and like the battery was almost died, I put an volt meter on it and it was 12 volts so I had to boost it and took a bit but got it started, then I put the volt meter on the battery when it was running it was the same volts ( 12 v) so I am thinking its the stator gone bad. But I am wondering is there any fuses connected to the charging system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 07:19 PM

I have a 2005, but from what I understand the bike hasnt changed much. There is a fuse thats inline with the positive wire that goes to the battery from the R/R, but its the main 30A fuse.

From what I understand this bikes electrical system could of been engineered a bit better. The charging system when the bike is running dont put out much at all untill 3000-4000 RPM's. So check it again at the higher RPM's and let us know what you get. Should climb up to 13.5 - 14 VDC.

For the most part the charging system has nothing to do with how the bike starts and runs. With that said, if your have a good strong battery the bike would start and run just fine untill the battery ran down enough not being able to support the ignition. Just like the alternator going bad in your car.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

ifixf18s is right, at an idle speed of 1100rpm the OEM vn750 stator and reg/rec does not charge. As the rpms climb the headlight should get brighter, and at 4-5K rpms the voltage should climb close to 15 volts, but should not ever exceed that level.

The charging system does include the 30 amp main fuse in the junction box under the left side cover.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Member? ... check.

Garage
The battery is charged thru that main 30 amp fuse, but the fuse is good. The starter relay won't pull in with out it. If all your wiring looks to be in good order, no loose or burnt connections, I think it's time to do the stator tests.

~~C8> Ratt
Next: LED's
Will Do: Horns, Shave(maybe)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 01:44 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

stator is out

what this the best stator to buy? i have a vulcan 1985 700
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 08:37 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Avoid Rick's stators like the plague. A rebuilt stator from Tim Perrot Enterprises (here's their ebay ad: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/motor...Q5fAccessories) is the best. Even better than OEM. You send them a rebuildable stator and they send you a rebuilt one.

Someone mentioned that emailing Tim was the route to go (http://www.tpe-usa.com/). Think they said it was cheaper than the ebay price dealing directly with them.

Update: I see you posted this question twice (and got basically the same answer). Please avoid doing this in the future. Your question will be answered, and folks like me won't waste their time duplicating an earlier response.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

Last edited by flitecontrol; 09-12-2011 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Double post by OP
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

update: after I tried to do a volt test to no good luck, called my motor bike shop and took it in and they are looking at it. Will post after i get the bike back, I hope it not too much.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

update

Hi everyone first off I like to thank all of you that helped with my problem with my bike. After I took the bike down to get it looked at they found out that the stator grounded out and needs to be replaced.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Hi everyone got my bike back today. As it turned out it is the stator and it was burned from shorted out ( guess it was from a on the border line bad stator from factory ) Oh well now it has a new stator so should no need to change it never again ( I hope not ).
Just glad that I can get back on the road cause of the season is almost over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement