LTD700 Oil Light Issue - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation LTD700 Oil Light Issue

Hey all, this is my first post on these forums (obviously). I've been browsing them for a while now because there doesn't appear to be a better resource for Vulcans online anywhere. Mine's not the normal VN750, but it almost is. It's the 1985 LTD700. I bought her about a month or so ago and just put her on the road although she still needs some work.

Basically, I'm having an issue with the Oil light coming on after the bike gets up to temperature. It runs perfectly fine until it gets hot, then little bits of smoke start coming from under my seat, just behind the rear cylinder. I can't actually determine the specific location of whatever is burning, but it smells like oil.

I'll describe my maiden voyage quickly. I let her warm up, then took her out about a mile and a half down the road to a gas station to fill up, but as soon as I pull in the bike stalls and the oil light is on, and stays on until the bike cools down a bit, not allowing me to start it again. It turns over but just doesn't come close to starting. After cooling, she starts back up again and runs fine on the way home, no light.

So I would like to ask a few questions first, what exactly does the oil light indicate? Level? Temperature? Pressure? I have no idea. I would assume it's not the level though, as I think I may have a bit too much in it as of now. The looking glass is completely full when the bike is level and upright. I have to tilt the bike to the right in order to see where the oil level is. I would assume that too much oil would not cause this problem, but I haven't done enough troubleshooting yet to figure it out. My next course of action is to change the oil and filter, but I'm a little unsure of exactly how much it takes. I heard 4.3 quarts somewhere, but wasn't sure if that was for the 750 or not.

Does anyone have a clue as to what may be wrong? I was hoping to get this fixed by the end of next week if possible as I want to ride her up to college for the first month or so.

If you need to know anything else let me know.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Welcome to the group.
I thought that the LTD was a bike with an in line engine.
We will need a picture.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

There was a KZ700 LTD that was inline 4. I'm with you niterider, I need a photo. If the VN700 had an inline 4, it would surely look like an LTD. Confused

You can overfill a bike, and it's not a good thing. Can cause seals to purge oil and leak. To start with, I'd drain enough to see a little bubble at the top of the site glass when the bike is level.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Last edited by fergy; 08-18-2011 at 05:30 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

I can confirm with you that it is a standard V-twin. I can post a photo up later though. Thanks for the warm welcome and the help so far!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 05:54 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome to the group, by the way!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

Oil Pressure

The oil light illuminates when the key is in the run position and there is insufficient oil pressure. This happens whether or not the engine is running. You might also have a faulty oil pressure sending unit. You should not run your engine with the oil light on; the light should be out at all times when the engine is running.

You have one or more of the following situations going on:

1. faulty oil pressure sending unit
2. Oil pump wear
3. Bearing wear
4. Sump line cracked

If the pump and/or bearing are worn out, you might beable to achieve enough pressure by using a higher weight oil, like 20W-50

In my opinion, the engine stall is not related to the oil pressure, unless general overheating from lack of oil is causing an electrical/ignition issue.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenic View Post
I can confirm with you that it is a standard V-twin. I can post a photo up later though. Thanks for the warm welcome and the help so far!
Then it is not an LTD. Only Vulcans had V twin motors. The LTD 700 was an inline four. Don't care what the title says, as these have been wrong.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenic View Post
If you have a v-twin it is not an`85 Kawi LTD700
http://www.ehow.com/facts_7503929_19...fications.html

Quote from above link:

Quote:
The 1985 Kawasaki LTD 700 features an in-line, four-stroke engine, with two valves per cylinder and a displacement of 45.09 inches or 739 ccm.
Pictures: http://www.bikepics.com/kawasaki/ltd700/

Post pics of yours so we can see what you really have.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 01:14 AM
If only it had 6th gear..

Hi and welcome. An oil light comes on from low pressure that can result from too low a level in the crankcase which from what you've said so for doesn't appear to be the problem here. you could have low pressure from a clogged screen, sludge build up, or watery / contaminated oil. Even too low of an idle can cause it to come on, although rare and it woud most likely flicker, (have seen that on other bikes, not actually the Vulcan) but thin , dead oil could do it. l'm just
Throwing stuff out there because you said you bought it recently and it was the maiden voyage. Definitely change the oil and filter as well as checking and cleaning your oil sccreen right away cuz we have no idea if it's still oil or now toilet water. Then update us with the results... and a picture cuz we're all curious now lol. If the light still comes on then it may be the oil sender... or more serious stuf previously mentioned but let's think about that if and when the time comes. Good luck.

Ps. Kelly 2001 mentioned. Overheating. Definitely check your coolant also cuz it doesn't take long for these little v twins to cook. They have hardly any fins to air cool them. Seems like they are there more for looks than any functionality IMHO.

Dave

Mods:
Jetted, shaved & coastered
Home made under-tank single filter
Converted ACCT's to manual (thanks wib714)
Dual vac lines on petcock (my cure for ticking)
LED tail/plate lights
Relocated helmet lock to license plate

Added stuff:
Customized hard bags w/ lights
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Home made 'Vita-Volt' meter
Foot rests on engine guard
Tunes

Hmm....she was on the back when we left.... ??

Last edited by DavesVulster; 09-08-2011 at 01:30 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 06:48 AM

On the contrary, guys, there was a VN700LTD. Apparently they're pretty rare; this is the 4th I've heard about, I've seen one running, and there was one in the salvage yard near me for a couple years. I'll have to check and see if it's still there; it and the one running one I saw were a pinkish burgundy color, and it definitely had "LTD" on the VIN tag and the side covers; I had to check the VIN because I didn't believe it myself.

Edit: The VN700LTD may not have been marketed in the US; may have been marketed in Canada, tho. There is a parts list I found on a Netherlands site:

http://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-1985-v...596/partslist/

And a parts list on cheapcycleparts.com

Jim

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets

Last edited by J.D.; 09-08-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement