Newbie Question!!!! Please Help!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Question Newbie Question!!!! Please Help!!

This might be in the wrong section, but I bought my 1993 VN750 in july. and I have been riding it while i was working in illinois for a little over a month with no problems. Then I brought it back to indiana, just a little over an hour drive that i've ridden on it before, and when i got to my house, it just quit when i let off the throttle. I didnt think much of it, but i went to start it this morning, and it wouldnt start unless i had the throttled opened pretty far. If i let off of the throttle then it died. So i got off of it, and noticed i had a pool of fuel on top of the V where the cylinder cases come together. But i didnt see where it was coming from. I then realized the air intake tube wasnt on correctly so i fixed that, and checked the spark plugs to find the back two black, and the front two wet with fuel. So i changed all four. I then put the choke on all the way, and got the bike to run for a few min. without using throttle, but if i took off the choke it started to die, so i left it, and then it died on its own, and wouldnt start again. The kicker is that I found a fuel leak coming out of the header on the front cylinder seems to be right between where the exhaust and cylinder meet. Does anyone have any idea at all what this could be and what i'm going to have to do to fix it!?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 12:11 PM

Not sure if this might help your problem or not, but I had a problem with a stuck float that allowed a lot of fuel into my cylinders when shut down, and a really rough idle/lack of power.

Might want to grab some SeaFoam and run it through your tank - that fixed me right up...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

I will try that. but now im wondering if it might be a matter of needing my carburetor cleaned. I think the fuel out of the exhaust might have been a matter of me flooding it when it wouldnt start....? Just a guess tho.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPilot26 View Post
This might be in the wrong section, but I bought my 1993 VN750 in july. and I have been riding it while i was working in illinois for a little over a month with no problems. Then I brought it back to indiana, just a little over an hour drive that i've ridden on it before, and when i got to my house, it just quit when i let off the throttle. I didnt think much of it, but i went to start it this morning, and it wouldnt start unless i had the throttled opened pretty far. If i let off of the throttle then it died. So i got off of it, and noticed i had a pool of fuel on top of the V where the cylinder cases come together. But i didnt see where it was coming from. I then realized the air intake tube wasnt on correctly so i fixed that, and checked the spark plugs to find the back two black, and the front two wet with fuel. So i changed all four. I then put the choke on all the way, and got the bike to run for a few min. without using throttle, but if i took off the choke it started to die, so i left it, and then it died on its own, and wouldnt start again. The kicker is that I found a fuel leak coming out of the header on the front cylinder seems to be right between where the exhaust and cylinder meet. Does anyone have any idea at all what this could be and what i'm going to have to do to fix it!?!?
First let me welcome you to the Vulcan madness!

I`m no expert on the carbs, but the wet plugs in one cylinder, black coating on the other, and gas leaking from the exhaust manifold indicates to me that they are running too rich. I will let others with some hands on experience help find the cure.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 02:06 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

Welcome. Yup. Pretty sure you got a stuck float. Take the handle of a hammer and knock on the side of the carburetors and see if you can get it to loosen. It might since you were riding it before you had this problem. Hows the inside if your tank? Rusty at all? Think something got stuck in your float valve.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

It doesnt look rusty, but theres a possibility it could be down further than i can see. If this is the case, from what i can see there isnt a fuel filter, would it be beneficial to put one on?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 04:44 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

People have, although you'll need 2 and pretty small ones cuz its tight. There's a micro screen on the tank side of the petcock and that is the filter.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Ok. Here's my problem now... btw thank you for all the help!, I got it to run again, and it doesnt seem to be leaking anywhere anymore, however, it will only run if i have the choke all the way on. it almost seems to me like something may be blocking the flow of fuel. which i guess is very possible if my float needle had debris in it, it could be lodged somewhere else also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement