'93 vn750 - excessive thrust in water pump shaft - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

'93 vn750 - excessive thrust in water pump shaft

Hi all,

Well, a few weeks ago my old hoss started making a pretty irritating squealing noise from the right side engine cover. Through process of elimination, determined it was a water pump problem.

Ordered some seals and parts, and tore into it today. Bad news - I was hoping I had a "wobbly" impeller causing it - turns out that it seems that I have an excessive amount of thrust in the shaft and it's putting the impeller into the engine cover *sigh*

From what I can tell in the shop manual, looks like this means a full tear-down into the lower housing (unless anyone knows a way I can do it short of that).

Although I do have a pretty solid mechanical background, I haven't worked with engines larger than lawnmowers lol - so looking for a bit of advice:

1. Is it really worth it? Ok, I know it probably is, but I need some reassurance.

2. Is it worth it for me to do it? Or are there any good leads on somewhere that I could get a rebuilt at a decent price? My local Kawi shop is telling me "anywhere between $500 and $4000" for them to rebuild it...

3. Any guidance on what parts (other than the obvious - bearings, seals, gaskets, etc) I should plan on replacing, if I am to do it? ANyone know of any rebuild kits/gasket kits, or do I have to order everything individually? So far having no luck tracking any kits down...

4. Any good sources for parts other than my local kawi dealer?

5. Any general words of wisdom?

I prostrate myself before the great gods of motorcycle mechanics seeking knowledge lol. Seriously - any thoughts/suggestions/insights/etc would be more appreciated than I could ever express...

Last edited by HooverRMK; 08-04-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 10:59 AM

Hey HooverRMK,

I'm going through the engine rebuild at the moment.

1. If your comfortable mechanically it's probably worth it.

I'm documenting the process in this thread.
Engine Rebuild Videos

2. It depends on what your time is worth to you.

3. No kit's available. A manual will give you a good idea what will need to be replaced. That video thread will also answer some of those questions. It will depend on the miles on the engine and it's past maintenance.

The rubber dampers are usually something that should be replaced while the engine is apart.

4. BikeBandit.com and CheapCycleParts.com are the ones I've been using.

5. Take your time.
Diligently bag and tag all the parts you remove.
Make a list of what need to be replaced as you go.
It's a good idea to follow a manual and mark down the corresponding page numbers with the parts you take off.
Make sure any parts you are re-using are within their service limits.

Street
1985 VN750 Acquired Feb, 2011 - 13,676km
Mods - Ear Shave, Pickup Coil Gap, Drilled Clutch Basket, Shift Tie Rod, Mosfet R/R, MF Battery, De-Goated (H-Pipe), MCCT, Heated Grips, Plexistar 2 Windshield

Dirt
2004 KTM SX 125 - 1979 Can-Am Qualifier 250 - 1971 Kawasaki F6

Video Tutorials - Engine Rebuild - Fork Seal Replacement - Grease Swing Arm Bearings - Carb Rebuild - Spline Lube - Refilling Rear Shocks - Grease Steering Bearings

Last edited by Roach; 08-04-2011 at 01:58 PM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Hi Roach,

Thanks for the insights and info! I'm disappointed that I won't be finding any kits anywhere, but at least I can quit spinning my wheels looking for them...

I think I've actually seen some of your videos on YouTube - I looked at the one about the lower end/pump shaft stuff when I was trying to figure out where the problem was coming form initially.

2 follow-up questions for you, if I may:

1. Based on the problem description and your experiences, would you concur with my assessment that I am looking at a full tear-down?

2. Based on your experiences with purchasing parts, can you give me a ballpark idea on cost, assuming that I'm not running into problems with excessive wear or anything requiring major parts replacement?

I'll definitely keep it bookmarked, and feel free to throw in any other words of wisdom you might encounter on here!

Last edited by HooverRMK; 08-04-2011 at 11:51 AM.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 12:24 PM

Sorry I meant to mention the likely cause. It sounds like the circlip holding the impeller against the mechanical seal let go.

I think you'll have to tear the bottom end apart to fix it. But maybe someone knows a way around this?

I've yet to tally my total cost. I should do that soon as many people have asked. I'd guess around $500.00. A significant portion of that would be shipping costs to Canada.

Street
Mods - Ear Shave, Pickup Coil Gap, Drilled Clutch Basket, Shift Tie Rod, Mosfet R/R, MF Battery, De-Goated (H-Pipe), MCCT, Heated Grips, Plexistar 2 Windshield

Dirt

Video Tutorials - Engine Rebuild - Fork Seal Replacement - Grease Swing Arm Bearings - Carb Rebuild - Spline Lube - Refilling Rear Shocks - Grease Steering Bearings
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 12:32 PM

I just reviewed my BikeBandit orders and my total is closer to the $700 mark. But that includes parts for an ear shave, tax, duty, and shipping.

Street

Dirt

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Sorry I meant to mention the likely cause. It sounds like the circlip holding the impeller against the mechanical seal let go.

I think you'll have to tear the bottom end apart to fix it. But maybe someone knows a way around this?

I've yet to tally my total cost. I should do that soon as many people have asked. I'd guess around $500.00. A significant portion of that would be shipping costs to Canada.
Thanks for that!

So to clarify (and sorry to keep picking your brain)
The impeller/shaft/mechanical seal look to be good, and the impeller holds tight and firm to the shaft (no wobble) - but the shaft itself is thrusting a good 1/4 to 1/3"
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 01:56 PM

Hmmm

The water pump impeller shaft's circlip rests against the bearing. There should be a little bit of possible movement because the mechanical seal is spring loaded. But not enough that the impeller contacts the case.

If the circlip popped out of it's groove, you be able to pull the impeller shaft all the way out.

Maybe there's a way of slipping that clip back on it's groove without taking the engine apart.

Here's the video of me putting that clip on.
Installing Water Pump Impeller Shaft

Street

Dirt

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Roach,

I can't thank you enough for all this insight you're giving me. If you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods, beers and a good dinner are definitely on me!

To be honest, I didn't try really tugging on the shaft - but putting just a little bit of pull on it, it definitely stops.

From what I understand some play is to be expected - with your circlip in place, could you give me an idea of how much play you felt in that shaft? I'll warrant that it is likely a lot less than what I am feeling.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 04:03 PM

would it be possible to take the micanical seal out and pull the shaft with it... reseat the clip and then put the whole thing back in?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by clock152 View Post
would it be possible to take the micanical seal out and pull the shaft with it... reseat the clip and then put the whole thing back in?
Nope, the impeller "head" is on one side of the case, the mechanical seal and the bearing. The clip slides onto the end of the shaft on the other side of the case wall. The clip is supposed to hold the smooth back of the impeller snug against the spring loaded seal, bearing and case wall. No way the shaft could slide through the hole with the clip pre-installed.

Take another boo at roach`s video clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_ib5...ailpage#t=508s

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 08-04-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement