Bought a Vulcan with a non-running engine - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Bought a Vulcan with a non-running engine

I picked up an 02 Vulcan the other day. It has 8000 miles on it. The previous owner said the bike had sat for over a year. He then brought it out of storage and started riding it. He said he rode it for a week or so and then he said he was cruising along at about 30 mph and he said something started squalling and the oil light came on. He then said that he pulled the clutch in and the engine died. I am kinda thinking that he noticed the oil light [I]after[I] the engine died but not sure yet. I have checked and I have good spark and seem to have good compression(however have not checked it yet). Also checked cam timing, appears to be good there. When I turn it over sometimes it will backfire through the carb and sometimes it will afterfire out the exhaust. However it only does this maybe once or twice and that's all. I even tried a little ether to see if it was fuel related and it made no difference. Any suggestions what I should look at first? I drained the oil (which was overfull) and checked the strainer and didn't find any metal or anything. Thanks to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 12:29 AM
If only it had 6th gear..

Oil was over full? Could it be that there was gas mixed in as well from severe flooding? Backfiring is a sign of that. Good spark, engine turns and seems to have good compression... I'd attack the carbs. Had a hell of a time with mine - same symptoms, backfiring and all. My carbs had both floats hanging up and not closing. Good luck. Oh, try disconnecting the small vacuum line on your fuel petcock and see if you can get it to run for a minute or two with just the fuel in the carbs. That way the petcock valve wont open and continue to pour more gas into your carbs.

Afterthought, "squalling".... wonder what he meant by that. I agree with your thought about the oil light. Probably looked at it afterwards. By the way, during my float dilemma, I was able to get my bike running by keeping the throttle wide open while cranking it, but had to keep the rpms really high or she'd choke out. Just some ideas for you.

Last edited by DavesVulster; 08-04-2011 at 12:36 AM. Reason: had another thought...then another..
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness Cricketo99.
I don`t have anything to add to Daves suggestions at the moment, but I am looking forward to hearing what you discover and what it takes to get your scoot on the road.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

I smelled the oil and it smelled like well, oil. Didn't have the faintest smell of gasoline to it. I had already tried to disconnect the fuel from the carbs and try to start it but no luck there either. No matter where I have the throttle when cranking it makes no difference. I will probably run a compression check before I do anything else just to rule it out. I went ahead and ordered a new set of plugs just to rule them out also even though the ones in it look new. Are these bikes like other small engines in that they fire the spark plug on both the compression and the exhaust stroke? I was thinking that maybe for some reason I am not getting spark on the compression stroke but am on the exhaust.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 01:13 AM

No, only fires on compression. Are you thinking of a 2 stroke engine maybe? The other thing that comes to mind about your bike is ignition timing. It might be firing way too late after the power stroke and more towards or ever during the exhaust. I haven't messed much with the ignition on these v's so I can't tell ya what to look for but typically the pickup coils and magneto (not sure that's the correct name on these) timing can be completely hosed if the pin that locks the magneto position on the crankshaft shears off throwing the spark timing into oblivion. Could also be valve timing although I doubt it, but in that case I don't think the engine would crank smoothly at all and might make a ghastly noise too. I'm just guessing with some scenarios to look at. Curious, When you
crank it does it spin smoothly or hitch and Buck like someone jammed a pipe wrench into the works?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 02:43 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesVulster View Post
No, only fires on compression. Are you thinking of a 2 stroke engine maybe? The other thing that comes to mind about your bike is ignition timing. It might be firing way too late after the power stroke and more towards or ever during the exhaust. I haven't messed much with the ignition on these v's so I can't tell ya what to look for but typically the pickup coils and magneto (not sure that's the correct name on these) timing can be completely hosed if the pin that locks the magneto position on the crankshaft shears off throwing the spark timing into oblivion. Could also be valve timing although I doubt it, but in that case I don't think the engine would crank smoothly at all and might make a ghastly noise too. I'm just guessing with some scenarios to look at. Curious, When you
crank it does it spin smoothly or hitch and Buck like someone jammed a pipe wrench into the works?
I don`t like to contradict you Dave, but I believe the plugs should fire on every rotation of the rotor magnets past the ignition pickup coils. Not sure that it matters if there is a waste spark during the exhaust stroke though.

The vn750 does not have a magneto, but an electronic ignition system that is not adjustable for timing. Timing can be checked with a timing light though, by taking off the stator cover.

A compression test of both cylinders will help confirm or eliminate some possible causes of the symptoms I think.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Okay I figured by looking at the pickups inside the stator cover that it would have to fire every rotation, much like a lawn mower or other small engine. Unless somehow the IC or whatever it is called somehow knows when the compression stroke is and only tells the coils to fire then. Can I check the timing with a light without the engine running. The only thing I could find in the manual it says the engine has to be running at a certain rpm and the marks will line up. If I check it with a light with just cranking should the marks still line up?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
I don`t like to contradict you Dave, but I believe the plugs should fire on every rotation of the rotor magnets past the ignition pickup coils. Not sure that it matters if there is a waste spark during the exhaust stroke though.

The vn750 does not have a magneto, but an electronic ignition system that is not adjustable for timing. Timing can be checked with a timing light though, by taking off the stator cover.

A compression test of both cylinders will help confirm or eliminate some possible causes of the symptoms I think.
No problem at all Gordon, that's what this forum is here for... and I usually learn something from your posts to boot . It does make sense after thinking about the reed valves that there could be a need for a spark on exhaust to burn the unused gas on the way out. Was just putting some ideas out there to look for / discuss, maybe too much. Might confuse . Sorry if I did. Anyway, As usual I appreciate your knowledge and the knowledge of others and of course the willingness to help fellow members.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Got it running today! I don't really know if I changed anything or not but I took both the pickups off and inspected them. I then checked compression (cold obviously), got around 110 on the back and 120 on the front. Not really sure if that is bad or good. Put everything back together and after I primed it with ether she lit. She doesn't run very well but if I keep it above 2000 it will stay running. Also oil light stayed on until I loosened the oil filter to burp it. I am kinda thinking that may have been what happened in the first place. No unusual noises or anything. Looks like I'll be diving into the carbs next. That leads me to another question. I am a diesel mechanic but am new to the world of motorcycles. The PO had put on aftermarket pipes and he said he jetted the carb. My question is what jets should be in there with just the aftermarket pipes? Thanks to everyone it seems like everyone on this forum is very professional and helpful. On any other forum there would have been a fight already in this post lol.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 12:07 PM

lol, I know what you mean. I feel that Gordon is one of those guys you want to hang with. He always has good info and is gracious at correcting misinformation. You can find a ton of info on re-jetting carbs in the "carbs and fuel system" section of the forums. I removed my airbox and oem filters and found the info there to get the proper jets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement