Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
wickedwhip21

Engine Won't Turn

I have been working on this bike for a while now, VN700. Was running good, but I was having tranny issues(Not shifting into second.) I took the bike for a ride around the block last week thinking I got it straight(replaced clutch cable and finally got it adjisted properly). I took it down the street, and it wouldn't go into second. When I turned around to come back, the bike died on me right before I got in the driveway. I pulled in the clutch and coasted in. I went to start the bike again the and it got about a havlf turn of the crank and stopped. It acted like a dead battery. I put the charger on over night, came out the next day tried to start if with a fully charged battery, and the same thing. It is like it is locked up. I popped the stator cover off and turned the rotor bolt. With a little force the crank came free. I turned it a couple of times pretty easily, then it locked up again. Any suggestions?? Could that be the clutch causing that? Oil is just below sight glass, but I recently had engine out with oil drained for a while to replace dampeners. Any suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwhip21 View Post
I have been working on this bike for a while now, VN700. Was running good, but I was having tranny issues(Not shifting into second.) I took the bike for a ride around the block last week thinking I got it straight(replaced clutch cable and finally got it adjisted properly). I took it down the street, and it wouldn't go into second. When I turned around to come back, the bike died on me right before I got in the driveway. I pulled in the clutch and coasted in. I went to start the bike again the and it got about a havlf turn of the crank and stopped. It acted like a dead battery. I put the charger on over night, came out the next day tried to start if with a fully charged battery, and the same thing. It is like it is locked up. I popped the stator cover off and turned the rotor bolt. With a little force the crank came free. I turned it a couple of times pretty easily, then it locked up again. Any suggestions?? Could that be the clutch causing that? Oil is just below sight glass, but I recently had engine out with oil drained for a while to replace dampeners. Any suggestions???
If it really is starting to lock up, I`m wondering if you have a broken piston ring, or a partially broken cam chain link. Maybe a pin half broken off and the chain plates sticking out and hanging up??? Hope I`m wrong and that it is something easier to fix, but that is what comes to mind.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
wickedwhip21

Any sure way to tell of any of those? Feels like compression is there. No wierd noise coming from it. I reset the ACCTs, hoping that was the problem. Not it though.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 10:51 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Any sure way to tell of any of those? Feels like compression is there. No wierd noise coming from it. I reset the ACCTs, hoping that was the problem. Not it though.
Quote:
I turned it a couple of times pretty easily, then it locked up again.
My mistake. From the previous post, I thought your engine was locked now, and wouldn`t turn again.

A compression test should/may give an indication of a broken ring.

However doing an accurate compression test, comparing the two cylinders, is not possible if the starter will not reliably crank the engine over for several revolutions.
Can you boost the battery and get the starter to crank the engine over?

I have never done a cylinder *compressed air leak down test*, but excess air escaping through the crankcase would indicate leakage past the rings.

It`s premature based on my knowledge to suggest pulling the engine yet, so let`s see what other ideas surface in the next day or two.

Gordon

Purchased May 16, 2008

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
wickedwhip21

OlHoss - Thanks again for the info. I will try getting at it this evening. Bike is on charge now, and I have a car battery I can hook to it as well. Something is up. I just don't get why it would turn freely for several revolutions with the socket wrench, but when I go to start it, it locks up or hangs up I should say. Do you think it could be the starter?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 07:21 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but...
you should be able to roughly check the upper chains if you remove the spark plug cups on both heads.
you should be able to feel the chain as you manually turn the crank...
I haven't tried this but seems to make sense after tearing mine down, it's right there.

85 VN700 Project Bike
Earshave
R/R Relocate
Mustang Seat
Custom grill cover
Busted Engine... removed, split, waiting on parts
Cleaning up & painting the rest

Parts still needed... wanted...
11" shocks, or one stock
Aftermarket exhaust... eventually
Extended forward controls or custom hwy peg mounts for my cramped legs...

Last edited by G3P0; 07-29-2011 at 07:26 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
OlHoss - Thanks again for the info. I will try getting at it this evening. Bike is on charge now, and I have a car battery I can hook to it as well. Something is up. I just don't get why it would turn freely for several revolutions with the socket wrench, but when I go to start it, it locks up or hangs up I should say. Do you think it could be the starter?
Could be a couple of things on the starter that I can think of.
1.- a dead segment on the comutator and windings. If the starter stops rotating with the brush on the dead/shorted out segment the starter won`t operate.
Possible worn down commutator and/or brushes too?

2.- There is a starter clutch assembly and gears that I do not totally understand. I believe the clutch engages in one direction, and freewheels when not engaged.
Anybody else have some suggestions here? I`m getting in over my pay grade.

Gordon

Purchased May 16, 2008

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I think it could be either the starter motor clutch, starter motor idle gear, or the starter motor spur gear. JMO

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
wickedwhip21

Here is where I am at now. I took a few more turns by socket wrench, then put some oil back in it. I took several turns with the wrench with all of the spark plugs out, and the spark plug sockets out to watch the cam chains. The chains look good, and I watch the valves that I could see from the spark plug holes open and clothes. But every now and again it would hang again. I went ahead and hooked the battery back up, and gave it a few cranks with the spark plugs out. It would hang up every so often, so I would free it with the socket wrench. I also tapped on the starter a few times. In now spins pretty freely. I put it all back together with the plugs in, and tried to fire her up. On a few of the revolutions it sounded like there was no compression on the rear cylinder, but now sounds like it is good. Battery died before I could get it fired. I took my battery the other day to Advanced Auto to see if it was good. They said yes, but I am wondering. It didn't hold it's charge too long. It is charging now. I guess I will take it to another shop to have it load tested. My multimeter was getting 12.8 volts when I took it off charge. After trying to start for about 5-10 min it is down to 11.83. So we shall see. Thanks for al of the advice. I think if I get it running, I will drain the oil again and pull apart the starter to lube it up.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 07:17 PM
David

I had a problem with the starter clutch on my 89 750. The starter would sping but there wasnt any engine turnover to fire it up. So after alot of checking with different people. I came to the conclusion it was a starter problem or some kind of bearing or bushing issue. I took it all apart and found, by testing on the bike the starter, I could see the starter clutch gear and harmonic balancer gear was spinning but the starter cluthc was not locking up. I replaced it and today have ridden it. So far so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement